Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI; Day 1  (Read 25533 times)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI; Day 1
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:46 am »
I recently compared prices for the Camry, Legacy and Passat in the New Jersey area. While prices may be different in Canada, the Camry LE and Passat S trims were quite close, with the Passat ~$1500 more expensive. The Camry XLE was about the same as a Passat SE. I'd recommend driving them both over making a choice based on price. Solely based on numbers, one would choose a Camry (resale value, maintenance costs, reliability...). However, they look different (inside and out), have different NVH characteristics, and have other less tangible differences.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2015, 11:35:50 am »
Why do you keep pointing to the TDI engine when I was specifically speaking about standard 1.8T engine?
Can you show me in NUMBERS where a Passat with the standard engine is more expensive than a Camry?
...because the vehicle tested was the TDI?

Since you asked so nicely, here:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
There are auto-headlights.  But I found out tonight wow they suck
Going back to the Sylvanias, I drove the RX yesterday where papa changed just one DRL (since the OEM burned out after 9 years...not bad).  They are, indeed, holy crap brighter.  I will be switching the headlights on the Corolla to those and hope to get more than just a few years out of them.  Even if I get the 2 years, I feel like it's worth $25/year to have brighter headlights.  Since I'm heading to Ithaca on Wednesday night, I'm really wanting some good illumination!
You can't compare a 9 year old bulb to a new one.  Halogens lose a good chunk of their light output even after 2 years.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »
Going back to the Sylvanias, I drove the RX yesterday where papa changed just one DRL (since the OEM burned out after 9 years...not bad).  They are, indeed, holy crap brighter.  I will be switching the headlights on the Corolla to those and hope to get more than just a few years out of them.  Even if I get the 2 years, I feel like it's worth $25/year to have brighter headlights.  Since I'm heading to Ithaca on Wednesday night, I'm really wanting some good illumination!
You can't compare a 9 year old bulb to a new one.  Halogens lose a good chunk of their light output even after 2 years.
So your suggestion is that the Sylvanias have absolutely no benefit?

I said that they are "holy crap brighter", not "they seem a 'bit' brighter".  I'm aware that after 9 years, the halogen DRLs will be weaker than brand new.  That's even more reason to swap out the low-beams on the Corolla when doing a lot of night driving in the rain through deer country.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:05 pm »
So your suggestion is that the Sylvanias have absolutely no benefit?

I said that they are "holy crap brighter", not "they seem a 'bit' brighter".  I'm aware that after 9 years, the halogen DRLs will be weaker than brand new.  That's even more reason to swap out the low-beams on the Corolla when doing a lot of night driving in the rain through deer country.
Spoken like a lawyer...  :P

I suggested that your analysis and comparison is flawed.  I didn't say the silver stars off no benefit, you did.

Compare your 9 year old halogen, to new standard halogen and then to the silverstars.  That would be a fair analysis.  I have compared a 7 year old halogen to a new one and the difference is remarkable.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2015, 11:47:07 am »
Why do you keep pointing to the TDI engine when I was specifically speaking about standard 1.8T engine?
Can you show me in NUMBERS where a Passat with the standard engine is more expensive than a Camry?
...because the vehicle tested was the TDI?

Since you asked so nicely, here:
Your comparo is bogus. Here is the valid one  ;D
2015 Volkswagen Passat
1.8 TSI Trendline 4dr Sedan
$ 25,375.00

2015 Volkswagen Passat
1.8 TSI Comfortline 4dr Sedan
$ 28,095.00

2015 Toyota Camry
SE 4dr Sedan
$ 25,240.00

2015 Toyota Camry
XLE 4dr Sedan
$ 31,040.00

Bombastic

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2015, 02:20:22 pm »
How do you figure that the LE should not be counted?  Based on feature content, it's pretty similar to the Trendline.

I don't care.  You keep thinking whatever it is you need to.  The Passat is a great car, and maybe my desire for it to be priced lower is because I actually like it, but don't think that competitors should outprice one another?

It may not be realistic, but it's a preference and it would, indeed, drive my sale decisions.