Author Topic: The new Ford Ranger is awesome but we still can't have it  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
The new Ford Ranger is awesome but we still can't have it
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »

The new Ford Ranger is lighter, more robust, and all badass... and we still can't have it.
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: The new Ford Ranger is awesome but we still can't have it
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:32 am »
Frustrating demand seems there, yet Ford refuses to supply the product. Pick-Ups here have gotten so big that this "smaller" pick-up makes even more sense for the non commercial buyer today.

I can only guess that Ford does not want to offset any F150 sales, by any chance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:48:30 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:02 am »
Rather than, for the 40th time this month, reciting the chicken tax, I'm going to pose my question thusly:

Year   Ford F-Series U.S. Sales Canadian Sales
2014                     753,851         126,277
2015 YTD *            109,606          15,794

With the F-series truck being Ford's LARGEST source of income and highest volume of sales, how the goddamn :censor: does Ford think that a smaller truck would not sell well here?

The old Ranger was woefully dated and didn't make sense, but in the same way that the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger (sold elsewhere) are now fully modern, does Ford really think that it would not turn a profit on this trucklet?

Leave the major cities and folks only buy trucks (for work duty or personal vehicles).

I just don't see why it would not be sold here.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:29 am »
It's always been a very odd thing. Ford has no problem providing six different SUV's of varying sizes.

I imagine they are watching closely how Chev's Colorado strategy works.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
Rather than, for the 40th time this month, reciting the chicken tax, I'm going to pose my question thusly:

Year   Ford F-Series U.S. Sales Canadian Sales
2014                     753,851         126,277
2015 YTD *            109,606          15,794

With the F-series truck being Ford's LARGEST source of income and highest volume of sales, how the goddamn :censor: does Ford think that a smaller truck would not sell well here?

The old Ranger was woefully dated and didn't make sense, but in the same way that the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger (sold elsewhere) are now fully modern, does Ford really think that it would not turn a profit on this trucklet?

Leave the major cities and folks only buy trucks (for work duty or personal vehicles).

I just don't see why it would not be sold here.

I think it is pretty simple.  The F-series or any other full sizer truck for that matter boasts immense mark-ups.  Folks who are looking to buy a truck head to Ford and buy a "premium" product because there's nothing else.  Adding the Ranger would likely add a lower-margin product that may end up cannibalizing sales of their golden goose. 

Why give customers more choice?  It's not like people who are buying a pickup truck will cross-shop other platforms like SUV's, etc.  They're in the dealership to buy a truck and nothing else.  They go there seeing a $40K+ product and resign themselves to paying that and likely more for the options they want.   

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:07:55 pm »
I think it is pretty simple.  The F-series or any other full sizer truck for that matter boasts immense mark-ups.  Folks who are looking to buy a truck head to Ford and buy a "premium" product because there's nothing else.  Adding the Ranger would likely add a lower-margin product that may end up cannibalizing sales of their golden goose. 

Why give customers more choice?  It's not like people who are buying a pickup truck will cross-shop other platforms like SUV's, etc.  They're in the dealership to buy a truck and nothing else.  They go there seeing a $40K+ product and resign themselves to paying that and likely more for the options they want.
This ignores the "conquest" sales, which can be immense due to life-long loyalty, which Ford enjoys from many others.  Get 'em while they're young and keep 'em for life.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:10:34 pm »
take out the good engines that won't be available even if it got green-lighted and it's still decent... not some game changer though. it's just nice.

still don't think what we would end up with here would be a truck i would buy unless we are talking 50% of the full sized price.

oh, and your memories of the "fuel efficient" ranger... i think it might be wishful thinking! i found them to be pigs with either engine considering what they were...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
The new Ford Ranger is awesome but we still can't have it
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:08:08 pm »
I remember reading an article last December that Ford was planning to build a small truck, but a truly small truck...based off the transit-extended version. Not sure if it became true or if it was just a rumour....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 08:52:47 am »
That diesel I5 is already sold here in the Transit so IF they sold the Ranger here they could certainly offer that motor.

I suspect Ford is going to wait and see how the new Tacoma, Frontier, and Colorado/Canyon do before they make a move into this market.