Author Topic: Apple CarPlay To Ship With Over 40 Car Models For 2015  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Apple CarPlay To Ship With Over 40 Car Models For 2015
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:39:32 pm »

Apple CarPlay coming soon to every OEM... except for Toyota. Fear not, Android camp, you'll get yours, too!
Read More...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Apple CarPlay To Ship With Over 40 Car Models For 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:58:10 pm »
System will be supported for two years, then you'll be expected to upgrade. Good luck!  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:02:45 pm »
System will be supported for two years, then you'll be expected to upgrade. Good luck!  ;D

No..when the battery dies, you'll have to buy a new car.   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:57 pm »
and after two major increments in the OS version your system will slow to an absolute crawl :)

Also cables will cost $35 and have anti counterfeiting extra moneymaking hardware in them.

Seriously I just got an iPad mini (free Questrade promotion) and the cable is ridiculously short.

(you may sense I am....not sure what to think about Apple :))
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:15 pm »
and after two major increments in the OS version your system will slow to an absolute crawl :)

Also cables will cost $35 and have anti counterfeiting extra moneymaking hardware in them.

Seriously I just got an iPad mini (free Questrade promotion) and the cable is ridiculously short.

:rofl2:

You won't be able to do any upgrades unless they are Apple Certified.  "I'm sorry sir, that new hardware (tires) isn't compatible with our system"

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:14:23 pm »

:rofl2:

You won't be able to do any upgrades unless they are Apple Certified.  "I'm sorry sir, that new hardware (tires) isn't compatible with our system"

Apple proprietary sizes only made in Asian sweatshops by Foxconn

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 01:38:16 am »
What does this mean:

....If you’re not an Apple user, fear not! CarPlay will be just one of multiple infotainment options available, Google’s Android infotainment systems will be available simultaneously or instead of Apple’s CarPlay.....

Does this mean in the same vehicle we will have choices on what infotainment operating system we can get?  I will be pretty ticked if a manufacture only had one proprietary system that would not play well with others.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
What does this mean:

....If you’re not an Apple user, fear not! CarPlay will be just one of multiple infotainment options available, Google’s Android infotainment systems will be available simultaneously or instead of Apple’s CarPlay.....

Does this mean in the same vehicle we will have choices on what infotainment operating system we can get?  I will be pretty ticked if a manufacture only had one proprietary system that would not play well with others.

more details are needed.   I know in the last couple years - all three (yes three) tech companies have been hard at work to take over vehicle infotainment systems as the next big thing.   Apple, Google and Blackberry's QNX systems are going in various vehicles.     Cook's announcement seems to try and make it sound like they've won the battle of vehicle systems and Apple will be in just about all cars......   not really sure how true that is since I've read reports that both Google and QNX already do have contracts with various manufacturers. 

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:16 am »
What does this mean:

more details are needed.   I know in the last couple years - all three (yes three) tech companies have been hard at work to take over vehicle infotainment systems as the next big thing.   Apple, Google and Blackberry's QNX systems are going in various vehicles.     Cook's announcement seems to try and make it sound like they've won the battle of vehicle systems and Apple will be in just about all cars......   not really sure how true that is since I've read reports that both Google and QNX already do have contracts with various manufacturers.

QNX is estimated to have about 50% of the market right now, and is the foundation for the new Ford Sync3 system.  Also used for some vehicles from Audi, VW, MB and GM.  They also claim the same as Apple, with over 40 car models.  I hope BB does not mess this up like they did with their phones and can remain a viable alternative to the others.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:10 pm »
QNX is able to run Android - I'm guessing that's how Blackberry devices will be handled.  It's sluggish and not ideal.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 02:18:43 pm »
What does this mean:

Yes. '16 VWs will offer support for both Android Auto and CarPlay, for example.

The beauty of this system is that it's more dependent on the actual device than anything else. So in theory new generations of phone can come out and be backwards compatible for some time to come.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »
I can imagine the cell companies must be likely where this is heading. 
I'm guessing people will start eating up more and more data with this?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »
That is the trouble with these things.  There needs to be another major player in the mobile data business. One of the big Euro or US companies would shake it up I think
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:14:42 pm »
I would think both Android and iOS will be well covered given the two companies behind them have ample funds.

Actually I think if you had to pick one...you'd go Android.