Author Topic: Motoring Memories: Lincoln Continental Mark IV, 1972-1976  (Read 9405 times)

Offline KoldingDenmark

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • 1975 Continental Mark IV online
  • Cars: Past: 1975 Mercury Montego MX, 1974 Ford Ranchero GT, 1965 Buick Skylark, 1974 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 454 sedan, 1973 Cadillac Coupe dé Ville, 1976 Mercury Grand Marquis, 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine; Present: 1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV
Re: Motoring Memories: Lincoln Continental Mark IV, 1972-1976
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
Wasn't one of these (along with some sort of similar Buick) the American entry in Top Gear's "The Worst Car Ever"?

I believe to remember that it was 1980's model Lincoln Town Car. He kept blabbing about it being a 1970's car.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: Motoring Memories: Lincoln Continental Mark IV, 1972-1976
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:18 am »
Wasn't one of these (along with some sort of similar Buick) the American entry in Top Gear's "The Worst Car Ever"?

If so, they have proven themselves to be idiots.

Yeah I saw that episode it was ridiculous.

What was ridiculous was those two useless Detroit behemoths wallowing around like a pair of drunken Hippopotami. I found it hilarious. The 70's have to be the absolute low point of North American automobiles.  ::)

:iagree: Fat, underpowered, understyled, tacky......yeah, yankees were making these POS and Datsun came out with the Z cars.....

But hardly the worst car ever. That crown should go to the Vega.

Vega.....no, chevy citation.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Motoring Memories: Lincoln Continental Mark IV, 1972-1976
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 08:19:08 pm »

If so, they have proven themselves to be idiots.

Yeah I saw that episode it was ridiculous.

What was ridiculous was those two useless Detroit behemoths wallowing around like a pair of drunken Hippopotami. I found it hilarious. The 70's have to be the absolute low point of North American automobiles.  ::)

:iagree: Fat, underpowered, understyled, tacky......yeah, yankees were making these POS and Datsun came out with the Z cars.....

But hardly the worst car ever. That crown should go to the Vega.

Vega.....no, chevy citation.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

You obviously never saw the motor shaking in the engine bay at idle. ;)
Oh the memories
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline KoldingDenmark

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • 1975 Continental Mark IV online
  • Cars: Past: 1975 Mercury Montego MX, 1974 Ford Ranchero GT, 1965 Buick Skylark, 1974 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 454 sedan, 1973 Cadillac Coupe dé Ville, 1976 Mercury Grand Marquis, 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine; Present: 1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV
Re: Motoring Memories: Lincoln Continental Mark IV, 1972-1976
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 04:50:10 pm »
I always like Bill Vance's articles.  However, in the case of this Mark IV article, there's an interesting story behind the story too.  I noticed a photo credit on page two "CarDomain.com user KoldingDenmark." and wondered what the Danish connection is.  The link took me to (a URL I cannot post) and Mogens' story about buying the big Lincoln and shipping it to his home in Kolding.

Occasionally, I borrow photos (always with a photographer credit) from the web for Bill's articles; his own aren't always good enough to use. Glad these ones led you to an interesting story. Here's the link, for anyone interested:. Images of the newspaper article are about two-thirds of the way down the page.

Hi, that is me and my car.  ;D

I am honoured to be referred to in an article like this. I have driven full size US cars in Denmark all my life. Got my license back in 1979.

Continental Mark IV's were very extremely rare in Denmark in the 1970's.

What brought my attention to it, was William Conrad starring as private detective Frank Cannon, driving around in a 1971 Continental Mark III, and Mark IV from 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975. We didn't have him on Danish TV either, but had to live with watching him speaking German on German Television.
Throughout the 1980's and 1990's I drove Cadillacs here, but finally in 2002 I got to the point where I went to Florida and bought the car in Cape Coral.
It was taxed and licensed in 2007 and I have driving over 20K miles in it since. Some of it can be watched on YouTube.
I started making these uploads to update the original owner with how their car through 25 years is doing, as we have enjoyed staying in touch ever since the purchase.

Greetings
Mogens