Author Topic: Road Trip: The $9,998* 2015 Nissan Micra  (Read 14892 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Road Trip: The $9,998* 2015 Nissan Micra
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »
What a great article, very well written, I actually LOLed a few times, for realzies. I like this little car, I dont know how you can walk into a Nissan dealer, look at this thing, look at the Versa and not go home with a Micra....Im still looking for a wrecked Juke so mixmanmash and I can turn this thing into a proper awd, turbo, new age Pulsar GTI-R  ;D This is the perfect spec for this car to, manual, no options, the perfect car for the everyday grind.

You mean like this? And it's in Edmonton.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?act=conditionReport&stockNumber=DVD86&rowpos=&act=search&branchInfoHidden=true&make=NISSAN&model=JUKE%20S/SV/SL&rowpos=0

To the secret lab!!!

Haha, bring it over.  I'll have to make some room.  Storing my 300ZX (engine is out right now) and my buddies GTR for the winter.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Road Trip: The $9,998* 2015 Nissan Micra
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 05:59:51 am »
It is so refreshing to see a cheap car evaluated in its proper economic context and not implicitly compared to a Cayman or 3 Series.

Since the Micra's Mexican production line and Walmart wages were mentioned I'll take the opportunity to add a couple of quick facts.

Automotive News reported this week that in November Mexican Auto exports to Canada rose by an eye-watering  66% .

In Ontario Walmart actually pays as much/little to its new employees as stores like Loblaws and Metro which
have minimum wage unionized workers thanks to the UFCW.

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 11:30:26 pm »
I finally got around to seat-testing the new subcompact cars (Fit, Versa, Micra) and this is what I experienced:

- First the Honda Fit:  I love the nice blue color available on the car (Aegean Metalic blue), that sort of blue is my favourite color in a car.  The Micra also comes in the same blue, there it’s called simply ‘Metalic Blue’. 

I got into the fit, raised the seat to the maximum height and I was really impressed by the quality appearance of the materials in the car;  NICE JOB HONDA ! 
   Then I looked forward and imagined I was trying to maneuver the car into a parking spot in a mall parking lot:  Nope, even with the seats up as high as they could go, I would not be able to see the yellow lines of a parking spot if they were one car length ahead of the car, the dash of the car extends about 10 feet towards the horizon, like dinning room table, and it is fairly high, so  while you can see the cars way out on the horizon very well, you cannot see the curb that your car is about to smash into when you are parking the Fit.   So while the fit is beautifully done inside, the view of the road directly ahead of the car is a NIGHTMARE  ( I’m 5’ 9” tall.)

- I then went over to a Nissan Dealership and I sat inside a Nissan Versa Note.  The dash did not extend so far out into the horizon and it was a bit lower than the Honda Fit, so yes, I could drive it if I had to, but my 2006 Toyota Corolla has a much lower dash and a much better view of the road directly ahead of the car, so I would rather get a used 2004 – 2008 Corolla than a Nissan Versa Note.  The Interior of the Versa Note was excellent, just as good as the Fit, and the radio on the Versa Note had a volume control dial, something that the MORONS at Honda forgot to install in the new Honda products they are designing these days.  Honda used to have WAY TOO MANY BUTTONS and people gave them justifiable flack for that.  Now they have way too few buttons and they are getting justifiable flack for that too. As a consumer I vote with my wallet and because of Honda’s Asinine Designs, I vote to give my money to another company, NOT to Honda.
  If you wonder how crazy Honda is going to get with removing any and all control dials / knob on their cars, look no further to the new HR-V coming out:  the radio is the same as the fit = no knobs,  but they've gone one step further, they have now removed ALL the knobs from the HVAC controls also , now just a flat piece of glass and you have to swipe you hands over the glass to control the airflow in the car.  When I saw that I almost puked.  Disgusting !

- At the Nissan Dealership I then went to a beautiful Blue Nissan Micra. To me it looks a lot like the BMW Mini, and I like that.  I raised the seat up to the highest position, sat down, and I was as if I was back in my 2006 Toyota Corolla, it was EXACTLY THE SAME.  Not just similar, no, I mean EXACTLY THE SAME !   Nice panoramic view of the road ahead of the car, nice simple controls for the radio (including a volume control dial / knob,  nice simple HVAC controls, Nice large and simple Analog gauges. Nice tall roof so there’s lots of headroom even with the seat in its highest position, same prehistoric 4-speed automatic, same 36 mpg highway fuel efficiency: It was perfect for me in every way.  It was like going back in time 10 years so I could buy a brand new 2005 Toyota Corolla, brand new, cheap as dirt, simple as dirt, but with today’s modern ABS / Traction Control systems to keep one safe.

So now I found a car that is an exact replica of my 2006 Corolla in every way, and if I needed to buy a new car tomorrow I would buy a brand new auomatic Nissan Micra SV, to me it is the car where I finally get a good view of the road like I do in my old Corolla.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:36:43 pm by Waterlooresident »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:22 am »
EXACTLY THE SAME.  Not just similar, no, I mean EXACTLY THE SAME ! 

So now I found a car that is an exact replica of my 2006 Corolla in every way...

:rofl2:  I think your definition of "exact" is different than most others.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:40 am »
EXACTLY THE SAME.  Not just similar, no, I mean EXACTLY THE SAME ! 

So now I found a car that is an exact replica of my 2006 Corolla in every way...

:rofl2:  I think your definition of "exact" is different than most others.
To me, it sounds like he would be better suited to ride a scooter.  Ample visibility in all directions.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
   The view out of the Micra is very good though and I like the newer Chrom mid version but have not seen one on the road yet. Maybe the reduced slope of the windshield gives slightly more perpendicular pillars also; which may obstruct a little less. The blue is nice also. Touch screens are not something that I would want in a car. You need your visual senses on the road ahead and controls should be tactile. A great leap ahead was made in this department by the designers of the first Taurus and Sable....only to be lost to some fashion statement and flat little buttons on the first up-date...requiring a visual to find. Eyes on the road = Good. Eyes on the dash = well...nothing good when driving.
   When you are pulling up to a curb in a short car you can leave a bit more gap and not stick out behind.

Northernridge

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 10:18:14 am »
I saw a Micra on the road Friday and thought it looked kind of charming.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 12:14:20 pm »
Yeah....it morphs into a wolf. Watch one does not eat you.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
The Micra is a great buy.  It's 100x the car the Mirage is, and barely more money.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 03:04:20 pm »
It seems like a good paid by cash type car.  I do like the simplicity of the dash and controls.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 03:40:22 pm »
I'd consider it for a short-term cheap 0% lease.

The only problem is that Fiesta/Focus get really really close in price and have Air-conditioning. Combine that with X-Plan pricing, and I'd have a tough time taking the micra. 

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 02:17:46 pm »
how much can you save if you paid by cash?
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!