Author Topic: 2015 Subaru WRX, WRX STI Get Canadian Pricing  (Read 14600 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: 2015 Subaru WRX, WRX STI Get Canadian Pricing
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 08:12:38 pm »
In day to day traffic, I'd prefer the CVT over another jerky DCT.

But I wouldn't get a WRX without a manual.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: 2015 Subaru WRX, WRX STI Get Canadian Pricing
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 08:18:38 pm »
In day to day traffic, I'd prefer the CVT over another jerky DCT.

But I wouldn't get a WRX without a manual.

True.  But I'd rather a conventional auto than a CVT, or an auto similar to Mazda's Skyactiv where the torque converter is only used at low speeds and then a clutch is used for shifting.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:16:09 am »
I'm happy to hear about the price drop, but it's actually a bit of a price increase...2014 WRX Limited is $35,495...the 2015 loaded version (whatever they call the trim) will be $36,795 (incl CVT).

So, yeah, if you're proper and get the 6MT, it's cheaper (or the same price)...otherwise it's more expensive to dull the experience.  Thanks, Subaru.

WRX Sport CVT at $33,795 seems to be the sweet spot now...but to get the HIDs, need to get the "sport tech" if we trust the previously leaked details (which named them as Premium and Limited trims).

That is some weird logic about it actually being more expensive.

And how is the model with a CVT, which most car enthusiasts hate, the sweet spot?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:04 pm »
I'm happy to hear about the price drop, but it's actually a bit of a price increase...2014 WRX Limited is $35,495...the 2015 loaded version (whatever they call the trim) will be $36,795 (incl CVT).

So, yeah, if you're proper and get the 6MT, it's cheaper (or the same price)...otherwise it's more expensive to dull the experience.  Thanks, Subaru.

WRX Sport CVT at $33,795 seems to be the sweet spot now...but to get the HIDs, need to get the "sport tech" if we trust the previously leaked details (which named them as Premium and Limited trims).

And how is the model with a CVT, which most car enthusiasts hate, the sweet spot?

The WRX with a CVT....uhhh no, thats not the sweet spot at all. Did they ever offer the WRX/STi with an auto, Ive never seen one for sale.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 12:25:42 pm »

The WRX with a CVT....uhhh no, thats not the sweet spot at all. Did they ever offer the WRX/STi with an auto, Ive never seen one for sale.

Wasn't there a year or two when they split the model into the WRX and the WRX265? Former had an automatic and the latter only came with manual, IIRC.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »

Sweet spot for me...since I'm barred from purchasing a MT so Lady Noto can drive my car once in a blue moon.  *face palm*

Saw it in the flesh at the auto show last night - I REALLY like it - but as I said, a loaded one with a CVT is almost $37k...getting harder and harder to stomach.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »
Subarus even have hill holder! Can't drive manual once in a blue moon?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »

Sweet spot for me...since I'm barred from purchasing a MT so Lady Noto can drive my car once in a blue moon.  *face palm*

Saw it in the flesh at the auto show last night - I REALLY like it - but as I said, a loaded one with a CVT is almost $37k...getting harder and harder to stomach.

I have to admit, the CVT is VERY intriguing to me.  While I wouldn't want to buy one, with the CVT the engineers can program the RPMs to stay within the peak boost level of the capabilities of the turbo.  Full throttle would never cause the turbo to go out of peak efficiency.  This is VERY interesting to me.  Whereas with a manual, peak boost level fall/rise with RPM.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 07:59:27 pm »
I have to admit, the CVT is VERY intriguing to me.  While I wouldn't want to buy one, with the CVT the engineers can program the RPMs to stay within the peak boost level of the capabilities of the turbo.  Full throttle would never cause the turbo to go out of peak efficiency.  This is VERY interesting to me.  Whereas with a manual, peak boost level fall/rise with RPM.

Williams thought so too, and developed a CVT for their Williams FW15C back in the early 1990s. F1 promptly banned it.
I posted a video over in the multi-media tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »

Williams thought so too, and developed a CVT for their Williams FW15C back in the early 1990s. F1 promptly banned it.

I'm very intrigued because I clutched my snowmobile for the peak power.......

No reason you can't do the same with a car.  Especially with an ECU doing so much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:05:33 pm by rrocket »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:36 pm »

A good friend of mine and his son are deep into vintage sled racing. Getting the clutch setup right is the major part of their race weekend.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 08:09:39 pm »

A good friend of mine and his son are deep into vintage sled racing. Getting the clutch setup right is the major part of their race weekend.

Yep...I grass dragged, so clutch set-up was a bit thing.  I kept a clutch diary.  Since it was a 2 stroke, it's usually the weather that changes things so much. 

With the ECU in the WRX, it would be a piece of cake.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 12:58:32 pm »

No reason you can't do the same with a car.  Especially with an ECU doing so much.
Makes me wonder what the fuel efficiency would be like with that mod.  Oh wait, that's why Subaru doesn't do it :P

Still, if one is buying a WRX to mod it anyway, then yes, it is a delightful option.

Lady Noto is moving to Ithaca, NY for a one-year internship, so I may buy a US-spec WRX and save a few bucks.  She's excited for free shipping and no duty for all her Victoria Secret purchases.   :nono: Women.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »
Lady Noto is moving to Ithaca, NY for a one-year internship, so I may buy a US-spec WRX and save a few bucks.  She's excited for free shipping and no duty for all her Victoria Secret purchases.   :nono: Women.

The base WRX is actually more expensive if you buy it from the U.S. after you factor in the 6.1% duty.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 02:37:29 pm »

The base WRX is actually more expensive if you buy it from the U.S. after you factor in the 6.1% duty.

The exchange rate isn't in our favour right now either.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 02:43:51 pm »

Clutch and air/fuel ratio with proper carb jetting. Exhaust temperature probes saved me from changing pistons and head gaskets every weekend  :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »

The exchange rate isn't in our favour right now either.
nuh uh uh - you're assuming I'll be purchasing a base model for export.  Silly Oliver and 1TSX.

Nope, I'm going loaded (incl navi and keyless access) and titling the vehicle in NY state as Lady Noto has residence there (and is a US citizen, actually).  It may involve a Subie-swap (me getting the Forester, her the WRX) for the first few weeks, but thereafter, the car shall be mine, mine, all mine (for $34,490 incl destination)!  Muahahahahaha!

By the way, everybody, here's a must-read (2015 WRX and STi Dyno-ed):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 05:26:29 pm »

Clutch and air/fuel ratio with proper carb jetting. Exhaust temperature probes saved me from changing pistons and head gaskets every weekend  :P

Long live Digitron!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 05:42:50 pm »

By the way, everybody, here's a must-read (2015 WRX and STi Dyno-ed):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti

Their lag test is worthless real-world....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 06:02:46 pm »
Seems that the performance gap is fairly small.  But, the DCCD would have me desiring the STi.