Author Topic: Toyota Prices Highlander Hybrid, Introduces Tacoma X-Runner To Canadian Market  (Read 15372 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
What does gas price have to do with low rider?

If the fuel consumption is similar to my brother's (formerly dad's) Taco or my current Sienna at 14L/100km, this will be one expensive vehicle to drive. At least my Sienna has no car payments.

EVDan, ALL V6 Tacos have hood scoops.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Did Toyota mention pricing for the X-runner?  It's RWD and access cab, so maybe it's not priced outrageously?  I know Tacos are somewhat overpriced in general considering its an old design and old tech, but maybe Toyota is throwing Canadians a bone here at the end of the model run?

And DKaz, there are far worse enablers on here than me!  ;)

Typical forum chatter:
"I'm considering a Porsche..."
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

"Looking at a new Honda..."
YOU HAVE TO BUY THAT CAR!

"I've got a friend who wants to sell his 80s Yugo..."
WHAT A STEAL OF A DEAL!

Auto enthusiasts - so easy to spend each other's money!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Auto enthusiasts - so easy to spend each other's money!

So true. And in the meantime I've never spent more than $13k on a car.

But I'll happily tell you to spend $65k on an Audi S4.  :P

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne

If the fuel consumption is similar to my brother's (formerly dad's) Taco or my current Sienna at 14L/100km, this will be one expensive vehicle to drive. At least my Sienna has no car payments.

Oh ok, I thought you were specific to this low rider version.  I know the V6 Tacos fuel economy, is pretty close to Chevy V8, with less power and torque.  Reliable engine, but to remain competitive, Toyota needs to do something...

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)

Oh ok, I thought you were specific to this low rider version.  I know the V6 Tacos fuel economy, is pretty close to Chevy V8, with less power and torque.  Reliable engine, but to remain competitive, Toyota needs to do something...

TRD offers a supercharger and fit kit for $5500. You know, if you wanna wrench.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

Or a V8 swap....Lexus, Tundra/Sequia or a GM LS motor  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)

But, TRD accessories don't affect your warranty!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

Warranty....warranty....what is this warranty you speak of. Its a Toyota, you wont need the warranty. Plus, if you can do an engine swap, Im sure you can fix any other problems that might come down the pipeline.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
The return of the X-Runner to this market is just bizarre.

Agreed, I never understood the attraction to "Sport" trucks  :P

I was referring more to the fact that it used to be sold here, then they stopped selling it here a few years ago, then they discontinued it in the U.S. last year, and now they're bringing it back but only to Canada. WTF? Did they have a bunch of parts laying around or something?

I thought it looked familiar. Toyota can't be bothered to update the Tacoma so they are offering reruns now.  It would be fine if it was priced like the Ranger was in the end but it's not even close. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
It would be fine if it was priced like the Ranger was in the end but it's not even close. 

Rangers were JUNK and quite different in size, so why make the comparison on price.  ???

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
It would be fine if it was priced like the Ranger was in the end but it's not even close. 

Rangers were JUNK and quite different in size, so why make the comparison on price.  ???

Crude but hardly junk.  The ultimate workman truck, totally usefull and they last forever.   They are the same size and both are well past their best before date. At least Ford had the good sense to put theirs on the clearance table. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile

Crude but hardly junk.  The ultimate workman truck, totally usefull and they last forever.   They are the same size and both are well past their best before date. At least Ford had the good sense to put theirs on the clearance table. 

They aren't the same size. The Ranger is a compact truck, while the current generation Tacoma is a midsized truck.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

They aren't the same size. The Ranger is a compact truck, while the current generation Tacoma is a midsized truck.

That's true.  But I agree that the Ranger was reliable, and both are dated....

It will be interesting to see what kind of power plant updates Toyota plans for the Tacoma, and how many years it will take them!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

Ride in one.  Aside from Toyota offering a crew cab and Ford didn't they are the same size.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Ride in one.  Aside from Toyota offering a crew cab and Ford didn't they are the same size.

Don't be ridiculous about the size.  Mechanically the things were crap.  Engines were gutless with substandard autos.  Such a success Ford terminated it.  Essentially had to sell them below cost at the end.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Don't be ridiculous about the size.  Mechanically the things were crap.  Engines were gutless with substandard autos.  Such a success Ford terminated it.  Essentially had to sell them below cost at the end.

Yes the Ranger had dated engines, Ford did not invest into updating the vehicle at all.  But it did what it was designed to do, and was reliable.  Just because the engines were gutless for this era, doesn't mean it's crap.  I wouldn't say that about a 1st generation Tacoma, it didn't even have 200hp with a V6!  That was a normal powertrain for a smaller pickup, but we know they are reliable as well.

And we all know why Ford terminated it in North America, way more profit in the F-150.  It's tricky to be successful in both small, and large pickups.  The Ranger in other markets does quite well...

ltruong

I don't get 2wd sport trucks.  It's like getting a sunfire with a lift kit and a pushbar. I remember dodge having those Daytona trucks with a spoiler in the back  round 2004... :-\

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

That is BS
It was a fleet truck, I do not think a lot of contractors bought them for their own use
Thinking back , I can only remember seeing two on a job, one was a Project manger truck and other one was a control guys truck, but he did not carry anything much , not even a ladder  :rofl2:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)

But only if it is dealer installed.  If you install it yourself, no warranty.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
I had an 84 Ranger and an 86 Toyota pickup. They both went ~300k before I sold them. The body on the Ranger was still in decent shape. The body on the Toyota was compost.

I'm not sure Toyota every got a handle on rust issues with the Taco.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:35:54 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken