Author Topic: India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World  (Read 5880 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:49 pm »
The safety designations aren't arbitrary, they are based on the statistical likelihood of serious injury or death.

The levels are arbitrary. Would you be satisfied if you asked me about the weather and all I could respond with was cold, meh, or hot? Who defines what is what? Who decides what is enough?

IMO (and it will never happen) crash test results should be expressed in absolute terms (ie: X cm of deflection, etc.). Putting "stars" into it is entirely arbitrary and the stars aren't even consistent from one generation of tests to another.

Star ratings work for movies, music, food, perhaps vacation destinations..... things that cannot really be numerically expressed. Crash tests results in all likelihood are already collected numerically, and then dumbed down in an arbitrary way for mass consumption.

Newspapers are written to be understood by people with 8th grade reading skills in NA and you're going to suggest telling people about car's structural integrity in engineering terms? How do you suppose that would work in India or China with even lower literacy rates?

And it's still not arbitrary. Most of these systems are some kind of calculated normal distribution based on accident models.

People in China and India who can afford cars are perfectly literate. In fact as per DKaz most of the people who can't are perfectly literate as well.

People understand well enough that for example less deflection is better. Its just a number, and to that other guy all you have to do is standardize the test that collects this number and the arbitrariness of the rating will disappear.  Its a different thing.

The star rating itself remains entirely arbitrary. It boggles my mind that you don't see this. You say its based on some statistical distribution of probability of injury or death. Well if so, and my car is rated 4 star, can you tell me how likely I am to die in a head on 30kmh crash with a concrete wall? Give me a percentage. Translate that star for me.

I mean, even if we ignore the fact that stars are awarded and taken away for the presence or absence of specific features like airbags and esp, why do we bother with the stupid stars at all? If it really is based on some probability distribution then why not just quote the mean of that distribution? Surely even the barely literate can understand a percentage.

And for the literate, a standard deviation too please.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:45 am »
Seriously?  We live in a society where people think the fuel economy rating is some sort of guarantee by the manufacturer, and you think they can handle deflection numbers in a meaningful way?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 06:52:45 am »
Ok, we better convert L/100km into star ratings, ASAP. Every 5 or 6 years we'll reshuffle things.

I give my car 3 stars.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 08:45:12 am »
auto rickshaws... there are cycle rickshaws and people pulled rickshaws too...

I was a rickshaw runner in Halifax during my university daze.  Great way to keep in shape while getting paid and even better for meeting women... ;D :pimp:

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »
99.99% (and that's no exaggeration) of people in India don't give a rat's a$$ about safety ratings in vehicles.  None of the car commercials say anything about safety features, and that is including the imports like Hyundai, Honda, MB, BMW etc.  If one can afford one there, they will buy one.  If you buy one, you will use it even if you could get to your destination much quicker on the train, bus or a rickshaw.  Car-buying in India would seem bizarre to any one of the enthusiasts on this forum.

A car (like a lot of other things) is a status symbol in India.  Period.

Also just as an FYI, it is a rickshaw or rick for short.  No need for the 'auto' part.  If youre a cool kid, you always take a rick, never an auto-rickshaw.  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:45 pm »
People in China and India who can afford cars are perfectly literate. In fact as per DKaz most of the people who can't are perfectly literate as well.

People understand well enough that for example less deflection is better. Its just a number, and to that other guy all you have to do is standardize the test that collects this number and the arbitrariness of the rating will disappear.  Its a different thing.

The star rating itself remains entirely arbitrary. It boggles my mind that you don't see this. You say its based on some statistical distribution of probability of injury or death. Well if so, and my car is rated 4 star, can you tell me how likely I am to die in a head on 30kmh crash with a concrete wall? Give me a percentage. Translate that star for me.

I mean, even if we ignore the fact that stars are awarded and taken away for the presence or absence of specific features like airbags and esp, why do we bother with the stupid stars at all? If it really is based on some probability distribution then why not just quote the mean of that distribution? Surely even the barely literate can understand a percentage.

And for the literate, a standard deviation too please.

If you can read a newspaper, you're literate. That could mean you have a phd in molecular biology, or you could barely figure out what you're reading.

NCAP ratings, NHTSA, IIHS all have simple ratings systems for a reason, to allow the largest number of people to understand the relative safety of a car to it's peers.

Fuel economy is simple, you get two numbers, highway and city. How many numbers would it take to adequately tell me how a car behaves in a frontal collision, frontal offset collision, T-bone driver's side, T-bone, passenger's side, rollover, rear-end, and offset rear-end? Who would even bother to pay attention to them?

The west never cared about safety ratings either until they became widely used and they became burdened with the costs of the injuries and deaths autos cause.
China and India will eventually get to that point too, but right now they have bigger issues to deal with.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:56:51 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 02:45:40 pm »
99.99% (and that's no exaggeration) of people in India don't give a rat's a$$ about safety ratings in vehicles.  None of the car commercials say anything about safety features, and that is including the imports like Hyundai, Honda, MB, BMW etc.  If one can afford one there, they will buy one.  If you buy one, you will use it even if you could get to your destination much quicker on the train, bus or a rickshaw.  Car-buying in India would seem bizarre to any one of the enthusiasts on this forum.

Also just as an FYI, it is a rickshaw or rick for short.  No need for the 'auto' part.  If youre a cool kid, you always take a rick, never an auto-rickshaw.  ;D

Thought they were commonly called Tuk Tuks.  Or is that in the past ?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:08 pm »

Tuk Tuk is a name used in other countries.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Re: India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 05:40:09 pm »

Tuk Tuk is a name used in other countries.

When my wife lived in Delhi over 30 years ago she says they called them Tuk Tuks.  Doesn't mean everyone did though.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »
In the South I've only heard them referred to as "autos" ... never tuk tuks or rickshaws actually

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 07:37:07 pm »
Most of the world is not nearly as safety obsessed as we are.  They also don't sue everyone in sight when they hurt themselves.