Author Topic: Small Overlaftermath - Honda Fit Delisted From "Recommended" Cars By Consumer Reports  (Read 8356 times)

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Small Overlaftermath - Honda Fit Delisted From \
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 08:30:34 am »
This Fit failure is going to be rendered moot anyway once the '15 gets here. 

As a long time small fuel efficient car/apex strafer driver, I have to admit that small cars will, everything else being equal, do less well in most collision scenarios than larger cars.   However, it is also true that the larger vehicles are more likely to kill someone than the smaller vehicles.

This was particularly true with trucks and SUVs which, when they first came out did not have to conform to bumper height standards among many other things.  Consequently they had a kill ratio over 2 times higher than smaller, safety compliant vehicles.  This has changed but may not be completely reversed.

Speed kills and so does mass and bumper height.

Cheers,
John M.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:32:47 am by JohnM »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 09:03:15 am »

Bumper height is the one that scares me the most. Then you have people raising their trucks even higher, how can this be legal?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:05 am »

Bumper height is the one that scares me the most. Then you have people raising their trucks even higher, how can this be legal?

I'm thinking....1. it's not  and 2. no enforcement
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »
I would like to see this same test done with the following...

a) Fit vs Fit
b) Fit vs Accord
c) Fit vs Pilot

I bet the results will be different every time. There isn't too many vehicles made today that look exactly like that concrete block (perfectly flat with a sharp edge) so I can't imagine it being as 'dangerous'.

Also what happens when the Fit is moved over 1, 2 or 3cm in either direction.

A head-on Fit vs Accord
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/new-crash-tests-demonstrate-the-influence-of-vehicle-size-and-weight-on-safety-in-crashes-results-are-relevant-to-fuel-economy-policies

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 05:39:55 pm »
I have no problem with the delist. Safety is far more important then reliability and fuel economy.

Crash safety is an illusion. If you're really worried take an advanced driving course.  The safest car on the road is the one with the best driver.

Truthy, but not really defensible.

Sure it is.  If you don't have an "accident" then you are completely safe.

A couple of points......

1.  Some accidents are unavoidable regardless of the handling prowess of the car or the skill of the driver. IE: oncoming car veering into your lane the instant before the two cars are about to pass each other due to drunk or drowsy driver.

2. The vast majority of drivers aren't nearly as good as they think they are.  ;)

I agree with your second point.  Most drivers could be better and that's why I keep pushing for better driver training. 

I only partially agree with your first point.   I'm sure someone can come up with an situation that is unavoidable but that isn't it.  In fact it's a perfect example of where small cars are better and driving skill counts.  Cars don't move " instantaneously" and a fast swerve is vastly easier in a Fit then it is in a SUV or pick up.