Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Acura TLX  (Read 10898 times)

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
Re: Preview: 2015 Acura TLX
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:22 pm »
In the final analysis, beauty is in the eye of the beholder besides which, time will tell whether TLX is a hit or a flop.  Styling aside, I'm disappointed that we wouldn't get a diesel or a wagon.  If Acura had wanted to claw back a little market share, offering either option for $20K less than the German competition would have gone a long way to doing so.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:46 pm »
In the final analysis, beauty is in the eye of the beholder besides which, time will tell whether TLX is a hit or a flop.  Styling aside, I'm disappointed that we wouldn't get a diesel or a wagon.  If Acura had wanted to claw back a little market share, offering either option for $20K less than the German competition would have gone a long way to doing so.

Haha...$20k less?  The 328xi Touring has a $50k MSRP.   Acura isn't going to offer a (entry) luxury wagon or sedan for $30k.  Get real.

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »

Haha...$20k less?  The 328xi Touring has a $50k MSRP.   Acura isn't going to offer a (entry) luxury wagon or sedan for $30k.  Get real.

You're right $20K is probably too big a differential but it was with the TSX that Acura threw around the idea of a diesel and a wagon which then never materialize.  So lets suppose that they'd gone ahead.  The addition of a wagon body and diesel would have added $5K.  That would have put the price at say $40K rounded up.  Maybe in your locale they sell stripper BMWs but here I'd be hard pressed to walk out of a dealership without dropping at least $55K for a 328d xDrive Touring.  Whereas I'm pretty confident I could have scored a diesel wagon TSX with a few extras for $40K max seeing as Acura dealers do discount.

Keep in mind what made Acura such a success back in 86 when they entered NA, they offered a near BMW at a considerable price advantage and it was more reliable to boot!             

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 06:08:06 pm »

You're right $20K is probably too big a differential but it was with the TSX that Acura threw around the idea of a diesel and a wagon which then never materialize.  So lets suppose that they'd gone ahead.  The addition of a wagon body and diesel would have added $5K.  That would have put the price at say $40K rounded up.  Maybe in your locale they sell stripper BMWs but here I'd be hard pressed to walk out of a dealership without dropping at least $55K for a 328d xDrive Touring.  Whereas I'm pretty confident I could have scored a diesel wagon TSX with a few extras for $40K max seeing as Acura dealers do discount.

Keep in mind what made Acura such a success back in 86 when they entered NA, they offered a near BMW at a considerable price advantage and it was more reliable to boot!             

Wagon was available in the US.  Since the TSX was basically a Euro Accord, they could have offered a Diesel like they did in Europe.