Author Topic: It's a new year. What would you like to see?  (Read 10643 times)

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Re: It's a new year. What would you like to see?
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:37 pm »
News feed...OK

Err on the side of inclusion, it's news and topical. Auto.ca should aim to be the primary and 'first look' for breaking automotive news for all of us forum members. We should have no reason to look elsewhere because we know, if its breaking automotive news, we'll find it here. That gets to timeliness and this is tricky...members often start a new car thread before you guys post anything on the car. Let's make it fun, if we start a new car thread before you, then you have to buy us a beer.  ;)

In the past, I've tried to do all my news in the morning. Maybe I just need to change my habits a bit more and skim throughout the day. I think this is doable.

As far as the beer, JY doesn't pay me enough. You'll have to hit him up for that.

Also keep the breaking news segments shortish, like you do now (I like your template personally).

Pics are important, keep them coming.

Don't lose track of the Canadian angle but its nice to see what's going on elsewhere.

If it's news, I'm fine with keeping the editorial separate...not sure how to execute this one. Maybe post the story and then participate in the forum commentary???

I think its ok to post the release from automakers in the news feed...but as you know, this becomes the path to laziness...an RSS feed with do the same thing. Have to make your own content in the long run, but a mix is ok.

I wonder if there could be something like a Driver's advocate news sub-section where you report on Canadian auto regulation that affects us. Everything from trade/tariff issues, domestic legislation, regional issues, etc.

Short breaking items -- got it.

Photos will always be a big part of it. It will be even more so soon so stay tuned.

Canadian angle -- got it. We try to do this all the time.

Do you mean a Driver's Advocate subsection in the forum?

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Re: It's a new year. What would you like to see?
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 02:21:12 pm »
That's much better.  I like having the entire article on one page.

Agree.  Me likey.

:fiver:
Well done Mark.  OK, maybe give JY a little credit too...
That posting was pretty much exactly what I had in mind yesterday.  All the "news" is there, but so is the opinion.  And it's obvious which is which.

Well done, good format and build on that. Far more useful than what the company offers on the topic; you can see in the PR crap what Fob is talking about - "Rebirth of an Icon"...please. It really saves our time if someone can parse that garbage and place the topic of the news release in proper context.

I think, Excellent. The 'Our take' is a good idea and well executed, I like seeing who said what and you guys need to build your own brands so naming names is good. Flowing all the detail at the bottom is good too (because who's gonna read it all anyway?) and the photo pool at the end is good.

Just do this from now on and tweak it over time.

I liked the two opinions at the bottom of the page....kind of summed up what the rest of us were feeling  ;D Well done!!

Wow. Excellent. Glad you guys enjoy/like it. We will do more of this for you folks and, like you all said, tweak it over time to make it look a little better.