Author Topic: What would you say to government regulated auto loans?  (Read 8309 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
What would you say to government regulated auto loans?
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »

If you're in a growing market then you will always do well in the long run.

Oddly enough, you end your post with one caveat that completely discounts everything you've just claimed as absolute truth.

This one statement of yours is true, but it seems that you don't grasp its meaning.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: What would you say to government regulated auto loans?
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 08:11:16 pm »

Oddly enough, you end your post with one caveat that completely discounts everything you've just claimed as absolute truth.

This one statement of yours is true, but it seems that you don't grasp its meaning.

I should have left that out as I knew people would not get the point.  Basically if you live in a mill town that is dying or some place that no one wants to live then real estate may not go up.  Got it now?

Suit yourselves, ignore a century of rising house prices and keep paying your landlords mortgage.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 08:17:18 pm »
But prices don't always go up.   Go look up the facts.  Houses declined considerably in the 80s.

Where did houses go down in the '80's?
They when done down 1990 - 94 then they started to go up again

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:47 pm »
Who said anyone here was renting lol.  I even owned a rental property but only made a few k on it so dumped it.

In the long run you'll win investing in coal too ;)

You're forgetting about inflation in ask your excitement.   Housing is a major index for inflation, that alone tells you it is rare it will beat inflation.  Doesn't matter if you "gained" a billion dollars if inflation went up the same percentage.  Also as your house goes up so does everyone else's house, so unless you plan to sell to move out of housing into renting or something else you never really are gaining.

Oh don't forget the interest payments over that time as well.  Most people never do the true calculations they always just say " oh I bought my house for $400 and sold it for $600 so I made $200.  That never happens, usually the numbers look a lot worse when you do some serious math.  That 400k house cost you $20k in land transfer tax, probably $10-$15k in property taxes over those years, interest payments, another $5k.  Then you paid a realtor $20k to sell the house etc etc ends up you made next to nothing...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:31:49 pm by wing »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »
Also I'm not saying housing is a bad  investment but to put all your eggs in one basket is certainly pretty foolish.

My stock holdings gained on average 72% this year, gains I can realize immediately with only about $100 in trade fees.  My house may have gained 2% but I'd have to pay Realtors and lawyers tens of thousands AMD then move to realize it. 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
What would you say to government regulated auto loans?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 11:00:47 pm »

I should have left that out as I knew people would not get the point.  Basically if you live in a mill town that is dying or some place that no one wants to live then real estate may not go up.  Got it now?

Suit yourselves, ignore a century of rising house prices and keep paying your landlords mortgage.

The person not getting the point is you.  You make sweeping generalizations, insist they are intrinsic truths, and then disparage anyone who disagrees with you, and you completely fail to grasp the fact that because I make a comment, that has nothing to do with my personal circumstances.

I suggest you grow up.

Merry Christmas.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 07:35:56 am »
Education, absolutely. How come they teach stuff we never use in real life, and don't teach stuff we do?

Mind you, I also believe many people are too stupid to protect themselves from themselves, educated or not. We are doomed!  :-[ ::)