Author Topic: NEWS: Tom Cruise to play Carroll Shelby in Go Like Hell...?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
NEWS: Tom Cruise to play Carroll Shelby in Go Like Hell...?
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:46:08 am »
TheWrap is reporting that 20th Century Fox is planning to produce a movie based on AJ Baime's book about the Ford GT40 victory at Le Mans in 1966 starring ...*gasp*... Tom Cruise as Carroll Shelby.

Aye-aye-aye!!

I'd be interested in seeing a movie about this story, but please God, let it be something other than a "Tom Cruise Hollywood blockbuster."  yeesh!!

###

Tom Cruise, "Oblivion" Director Joseph Kosinski to Reteam for Fox’s "Go Like Hell" (Exclusive)
DEAL CENTRAL | By Jeff Sneider on October 23, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

The movie chronicles automaker Henry Ford II’s rivalry with Enzo Ferrari

Tom Cruise and "Oblivion" director Joseph Kosinski are planning to reteam for the racing movie "Go Like Hell," multiple individuals familiar with the 20th Century Fox project have told TheWrap.

The film is based on A.J. Baime’s book "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans."

While there are no deals in place yet for Cruise or Kosinski, the duo are in talks to develop "Go Like Hell" as a starring vehicle for Cruise.

Story is set in the early 1960s when the Ford Motor Company was falling behind in the sports car marketplace, with baby boomers preferring to buy fast, stylish automobiles rather than safe, comfortable vehicles.

The book follows Henry Ford II, who with the help of young visionary Lee Iacocca and former racing champion-turned-engineer Carroll Shelby, concocted a scheme to reinvent the Ford company by entering the high-stakes world of European car racing, which had been dominated by Enzo Ferrari up until then.

The trio set out to design, build and race a car that could beat Ferrari at his own game at the world’s most prestigious and dangerous race — Le Mans.

Cruise has his eye on the role of Shelby, according to an individual familiar with the project.

Jason Keller wrote a draft of the script back when Michael Mann was developing the project. Paramount has been developing its own version of the story as it owns Shelby’s life rights, as well as a script originally written by Lisa Schrager.

Cruise and Kosinski are coming off of "Oblivion," which grossed $286 million worldwide. Cruise will first shoot "Mission: Impossible 5" with frequent collaborator Christopher McQuarrie. The actor knows his way around the race track, having starred in Tony Scott’s 1990 action-drama "Days of Thunder."

Cruise next stars in Doug Liman’s "Edge of Tomorrow," which Warner Bros. will release June 6. He’s represented by CAA and Greenberg Glusker.

Source: http://www.thewrap.com/tom-cruise-oblivion-director-joseph-kosinski-may-reteam-foxs-go-like-hell-exclusive
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: NEWS: Tom Cruise to play Carroll Shelby in Go Like Hell...?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
John Goodman

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:57:19 am »
Anybody else notice that they are making more car racing movies lately?

Senna
Rush
1 - Trailer: http://www.hulu.com/watch/535362

As to Tom Cruise. Really don't care who plays the role as long as it doesn't become another "Driven".

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:08:30 am »
Anybody else notice that they are making more car racing movies lately?

Senna
Rush
1 - Trailer: http://www.hulu.com/watch/535362

As to Tom Cruise. Really don't care who plays the role as long as it doesn't become another "Driven".

Awesome!...I agree, Driven was worse than Days of Thunder  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:12:29 am »
Maybe they got it mixed up - Maybe Tom Cruise  is playing Henry Ford?
That would make more sense.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:29:58 am »
John Goodman

That would work. Cruise, no way.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:32:45 am »
Driven was worse than Days of Thunder  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I read an article that Stallone was trying to make Driven a serious movie but then Hollywood got involved and it ended up with that junk it was. Same thing with Cliffhanger.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 01:37:53 pm »
I want to see a Martin Scorsese movie about racing.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:18:18 pm »
i forgot about driven.... all i can remember is the brutal city "race" scene and the stupid quarters on the tires thing....

tom cruise does have the squinty "smiling" eyes i guess...

here was my first thought... if he can get rid of the accent well enough. think i have heard him do that...

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »
I'm just glad for the attention motorsport is getting in Hollywood...and surprised.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 03:24:14 pm »
I'm just glad for the attention motorsport is getting in Hollywood...and surprised.

Hollywood is running out of ideas so they jump back 50 years and start over  :)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
Brad Pitt to join Tom Cruise in Go Like Hell...?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 01:58:46 pm »
According to The Hollywood Reporter, now Brad Pitt is considering joining the cast of "Go Like Hell."  No word on who he'll play.  Dan Gurney, maybe...?

Read here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brad-pitt-courted-tom-cruises-666348

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 04:07:56 pm »
Hollywood will fack this up..

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 07:54:28 am »
Wot's JOHN KERRY doin' wif Tommy CRUISE boy in that 1st pic.....Sorcese puhleezeeh

non non capice.......bring on the RUSH guys...............ASAP..or it SHELBY! a disaster

can he reach the PEDALS??!! ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once