Author Topic: Honda and Toyota Adding More Turbos  (Read 4013 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Honda and Toyota Adding More Turbos
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »
It will end in tears.

Are ya thinking something like a 600cc motor with a turbo.....  :(

Yep...I can see a whole bunch of small base engines (say a 1.6 litre) combined with an overstressed, always running turbo (let's just call hypothetically call it an 'eco-boost'), trying to propel something as heavy as an SUV, which we shall hypothetically call an 'Explorer'.....  ??? ::) ;D

Naaaahhh....no one is foolish enough to think that a constantly boosting turbo motor straining its small little CC heart out will be more efficient than a properly sized naturally aspirated motor...are they??  ;D
Thermodynamically it will be.

But, and I'd never buy one, a small turbo'd motor running at constant rpm driving a motor generator set, a battery  and electric traction motor(s) would work well for a big suv. Sort of like a Volt but with the 'range extender' running all the time.     A 1.2 litre diesel should do the trick.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 09:02:04 am »
Sort of like a Volt but with the 'range extender' running all the time.     A 1.2 litre diesel should do the trick.

If only you'd get a phone call from pretty much any and every manufacturer saying:

"YOU'RE HIRED!"

Go and design it.  Now.  Please.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 09:33:39 am »
No one would buy it.  It would sound funny.  You might even have to drive a bit more slowly up long hills...the way people used to.   And Horrors! you might only manage 12 seconds 0-60.