Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Durango; Day 1  (Read 20031 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Durango; Day 1
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 12:44:40 pm »
That  is     awesome.    Even better than the Canyoneroooo!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »
That  is     awesome.    Even better than the Canyoneroooo!

Oooo I don't know about that. Canyoneeroo is pretty sweet - especially the "F Series" with the lipstick holder instead of a lighter. :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

richink

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
Vehicles like this infuriate me. Your average Durangoat/Tahore/Exspuditchin' owner uses that neighbourhood carpool, I use it to tow 'X', rough and tough offroading hillbilly argument however each time I see one of these things pull into our local community centre, only one or two kids pops out of it. Follow one to it's roost and you generally don't find that accessory recreational vehicle, or at least one that's easily towed by a Fusion. They're so flipping high off the ground that your average spouse needs a step ladder to get into it, and as Chris points out, you practically split your back hoofing stuff up into it. They occupy a relatively massive amount of real estate compared to a family sedan or minivan, I refuse to park beside them for fear of parking lot dings. They are also generally the 1st to go into the ditch in bad weather, people usually get this unwarranted sense of overconfidence with the lumbering ride and high driving position.

Solution - economical vehicle for the 99% of the time where you don't need a beast like this. The 1% can be satisfied with a rental, F150's are had for $19.99 a day from most rent-a-sled companies.

So people are wrong for driving a vehicle of their choice??? Something they worked hard for??? Not everyone makes $10/hour and can afford something better than some ridiculous little s%^tbox. I couldnt imagine ever driving something like that, Id go nuts owning a Fit, Accent or something like that. Thats not a car, its a tin car with 83 horsepower. Besides, when we get huge snowfalls here, its everyone with their little cars moaning and complaining to the city that they cant go to work because this wasnt plowed or went off a road because of a 6" high snowdrift. Its personal preference, you keep rocking your subcompact.....Im buying my wife a Z71 Tahoe.

Good call. I see your Tahoe and raise you an Expedition Max.

Not insulting their choice in the least. I am postulating that the reasoning behind their choice is significantly flawed based on the 99% of driving typically done in this country, and the excess amount of waste and consumption associated with these overgrown behemoth's.

KTM & Vmango - MDX's and LR3's aren't in the same size category as the domestic monsters. While both vehicles are about as wide as the Durango, neither are anywhere near as long; or as wide as the Tahoe or Expedition. At over 18 feet long, the Expedition Max practically needs to be parked out back of the donut shop with the big rigs. Plus none of the big three will ever have a prayer of keeping pace with the ergonomics or quality that LR and Acura put out.

I'm inclined to agree somewhat on the Fit/Accent statement. I'd say there's likely a remarkable co-incidence between people who drive these and whine about not being able to get into work with 6 inches of snow on the ground and the absence of snow tyres or/combination a complete lack of driving skill and judgement. Lady leadfoot's snow tyre shodden SiR chews through knee high snow drifts with ease (we live in Dufferin County, similar flatland topography and snow dumps/drifting courtesy of Georgian Bay streamers), the previous cheapie car was a similarly equipped 2000 Accent, similar lack of difficulty in the winter. Funny how if you were to take a drive through my neighbourhood and seeing a full size SUV or a pick up truck is a rarity. Most drive a compact SUV or a combination of minivan and small car.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 01:04:33 pm »
If you want to get serious about waste and being green and all that stuff. You should start lobbying the governments to start imposing some of these emission restrictions on jets. How much CO2 does a 777 put out on a trans atlantic flight? How many THOUSANDS of pounds of fuel does it use up?

My favorite though are yard tools like snowblowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can drive a modern car from Texas to the Yukon and emit FEWER emissions then a lawnmower will use in 1 hour of use.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:12 pm »
I live in snow country and drive an Echo.  I live on top of a hill and you can't get there without going up a distinct (for Ontario) hill.  Most years I have used 4 snows but some years lately the winter optimized radials from Nokian and Hankook. 

I don't have problems getting around and as long as you are on roads which are plowed from time to time, something as small as an Echo with appropriate rubber is just fine.

If you have to go on heavily rutted dirt/frozen mud roads which don't see a plow until spring, that is another story.

But as long as we are in a pissing contest, I'll go for a half-track and run over your pathetic poser truck should you happen to slow down on a slippery spot.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
Vehicles like this infuriate me. Your average Durangoat/Tahore/Exspuditchin' owner uses that neighbourhood carpool, I use it to tow 'X', rough and tough offroading hillbilly argument however each time I see one of these things pull into our local community centre, only one or two kids pops out of it. Follow one to it's roost and you generally don't find that accessory recreational vehicle, or at least one that's easily towed by a Fusion. They're so flipping high off the ground that your average spouse needs a step ladder to get into it, and as Chris points out, you practically split your back hoofing stuff up into it. They occupy a relatively massive amount of real estate compared to a family sedan or minivan, I refuse to park beside them for fear of parking lot dings. They are also generally the 1st to go into the ditch in bad weather, people usually get this unwarranted sense of overconfidence with the lumbering ride and high driving position.

Solution - economical vehicle for the 99% of the time where you don't need a beast like this. The 1% can be satisfied with a rental, F150's are had for $19.99 a day from most rent-a-sled companies.

So people are wrong for driving a vehicle of their choice??? Something they worked hard for??? Not everyone makes $10/hour and can afford something better than some ridiculous little s%^tbox. I couldnt imagine ever driving something like that, Id go nuts owning a Fit, Accent or something like that. Thats not a car, its a tin car with 83 horsepower. Besides, when we get huge snowfalls here, its everyone with their little cars moaning and complaining to the city that they cant go to work because this wasnt plowed or went off a road because of a 6" high snowdrift. Its personal preference, you keep rocking your subcompact.....Im buying my wife a Z71 Tahoe.

Good call. I see your Tahoe and raise you an Expedition Max.

Not insulting their choice in the least. I am postulating that the reasoning behind their choice is significantly flawed based on the 99% of driving typically done in this country, and the excess amount of waste and consumption associated with these overgrown behemoth's.

KTM & Vmango - MDX's and LR3's aren't in the same size category as the domestic monsters. While both vehicles are about as wide as the Durango, neither are anywhere near as long; or as wide as the Tahoe or Expedition. At over 18 feet long, the Expedition Max practically needs to be parked out back of the donut shop with the big rigs. Plus none of the big three will ever have a prayer of keeping pace with the ergonomics or quality that LR and Acura put out.

I'm inclined to agree somewhat on the Fit/Accent statement. I'd say there's likely a remarkable co-incidence between people who drive these and whine about not being able to get into work with 6 inches of snow on the ground and the absence of snow tyres or/combination a complete lack of driving skill and judgement. Lady leadfoot's snow tyre shodden SiR chews through knee high snow drifts with ease (we live in Dufferin County, similar flatland topography and snow dumps/drifting courtesy of Georgian Bay streamers), the previous cheapie car was a similarly equipped 2000 Accent, similar lack of difficulty in the winter. Funny how if you were to take a drive through my neighbourhood and seeing a full size SUV or a pick up truck is a rarity. Most drive a compact SUV or a combination of minivan and small car.

Some choices do baffle me, I saw a 1 ton duallie, diesel, 4x4 truck pulling a tent trailer....that made me shake my head. I dont know, when we do have kids, a full size suv is a good choice, for us anyways, I find minivans useless. Besides, I can tow the trailer, she can tow the boat and we can have a great time out at the lake. Try pulling a decent sized boat with a Pilo....sorry, MDX.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 01:39:17 pm »

Which category do the Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada fit in?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:36 pm »
I live in snow country and drive an Echo.  I live on top of a hill and you can't get there without going up a distinct (for Ontario) hill.  Most years I have used 4 snows but some years lately the winter optimized radials from Nokian and Hankook. 

I don't have problems getting around and as long as you are on roads which are plowed from time to time, something as small as an Echo with appropriate rubber is just fine.

If you have to go on heavily rutted dirt/frozen mud roads which don't see a plow until spring, that is another story.

But as long as we are in a pissing contest, I'll go for a half-track and run over your pathetic poser truck should you happen to slow down on a slippery spot.

Cheers,
John M.

Yeah....Echo....yeah....no. I couldnt for the world walk into the garage, look at an Echo and be glad Im taking that to work. Whenever it snows here, drivers get the retard, I dont know how many drivers Ive seen stop on a incline and couldnt get going again because their solution was to mat the gas. For winter, Ill take a 4x4 with some decent snow tires and some ground clearance please. As far as towing, in my experience the heavier vehicle with a longer wheelbase makes for the best and most stable tow vehicle. Not saying that your Rav4, outback or Pilot cant tow, but when we hit crosswinds, ill take the one with the real frame thank you. Besides, has anyone looked at an QX56 Infinity, thats a nice truck, big or not!!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
The exact same "I'll never downsize" refrain was heard in the 1970s. Gas spiked for the second time, and a lot of people ate their words and did downsize. The same will happen again. It might be at $2/L, or maybe $3/L, but it will happen.

New fuel economy standards that include pickups and SUVs in the CAFE calculation are also going to make it more and more difficult and expensive for manufacturers to produce 400hp, 3000kg monster trucks.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

richink

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »

Which category do the Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada fit in?

Pretty obvious don' tcha think ?  ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 08:51:05 am »
My Brother-In-Law brought the family over yesterday for turkey in a brand new full load Dodge Durango Citadel. As with any new vehicle that I allow to park in my drive it went through a full inspection. I must say that I was impressed with the quality and features of the latest version of the Durango. I did manage a quick burn around the 'hood before I beached 0.08  :P and the ride was comfortable and the Hemi had enough power but just. It is a heavy beast and fuel economy was not discussed but if you are in the market to a 7 passenger hauler that can tow a house then fuel is not on the list of concerns. If I was in the market the Durango would be on my short list.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 09:02:54 am »
Having driven a 2014 Ram Outdoorsman with the 3.6 V6 this weekend, I can say this would be my truck choice given it would not be subjected to anything like towing and heavy hauling on a regular basis, it would do the job for when I need a truck.  But god d..... if you want the things that matter without going crazy it's still 44K.  The wife says we could rent a pickup everytime we have that need, I tend to agree.  That company has come a long way with their interiors, and that Pentastar with the 8 speed is sooooo smooth.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:54 pm »
My Brother-In-Law brought the family over yesterday for turkey in a brand new full load Dodge Durango Citadel.

8-speed auto on that one, or still the old 5-speed?

I don't see many (new) Durangos around here - lots of Jeep GC, but not the Dodge.  It's one of the only 7-passenger SUVs I've actually considered buying, primarily because it's got enough towing capacity to replace our truck (but is a fair bit smaller than a Tahoe/Expedition/Armada/Sequoia).  OTOH, I like having a (relatively) beater truck for real truck duties - I'd be too paranoid about scratching/dirtying a new 50K Durango!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2013, 01:28:43 pm »
OTOH, I like having a (relatively) beater truck for real truck duties - I'd be too paranoid about scratching/dirtying a new 50K Durango!
that's where the rentals come in, and pay the extra $10 for the damage claim waiver.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2013, 06:03:24 pm »
If you want to get serious about waste and being green and all that stuff. You should start lobbying the governments to start imposing some of these emission restrictions on jets. How much CO2 does a 777 put out on a trans atlantic flight? How many THOUSANDS of pounds of fuel does it use up?

Less fuel per person than one person driving themselves in a Durango the same distance.  Also, you can't drive your Durango across the Atlantic.  The fact is that some people's unnecessary choice to drive behemoths they don't need does impact everyone else.  Who decides who needs what is another matter, but it's still obvious that most little old ladies don't need to drive H3s.

My favorite though are yard tools like snowblowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can drive a modern car from Texas to the Yukon and emit FEWER emissions then a lawnmower will use in 1 hour of use.

Now this is true.  Especially if you're using a 2-stroke..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:07:03 pm by WRX_Pilot »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:45 pm »
Yeah. Let's discuss the car not the merits of the decision that people make in buying them. 

For me I always liked Durango for some reason. Even the old one.  New ones just better. ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D