Author Topic: Product Review: Pioneer Appradio 3  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: Pioneer Appradio 3
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:26:35 am »

Appradio 3 brings new-car infotainment technology and some clever Apps to virtually any dashboard.

Read More...

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Re: Product Review: Pioneer Appradio 3
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:08:19 am »
I also received one of these units to test. Actually, Pioneer sent me two to try out.

First, they sent the AppRadio 3 SPH-DA210, which promptly broke about 10 minutes after install. They sent a replacement unit, the SPH-DA110 (the same as a DA210 but without a disc slot for CDs and DVDs), and it wouldn't pair with anything.

Both units sit in their boxes in my office, collecting dust, waiting to go back to Pioneer.

I think the quality of Pioneer's products has gone way downhill in recent years. They may have lots of glitz and glam, but if it doesn't work, it's all for nothing.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:34:42 pm »
I think the quality of Pioneer's products has gone way downhill in recent years. They may have lots of glitz and glam, but if it doesn't work, it's all for nothing.

Yeah, the unit in my '11 Forester XT would absolutely fit that description.  It hasn't failed in any way, but it just doesn't do a good job of anything.  It's the one with the detachable faceplate, but the battery in it lasted for about a month before every time I turn the car on, the screen says "battery level critical, shutting down."  It, being on car power, never shuts down unless I detach it and try to use it as a stand-alone unit.

I was pleased to hear that Subaru went with Harmon/Kardon instead of Pioneer, but I hear the new unit is just as bad.  *face palm* common, Subie.

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
I have a sony single din head unit (no touchscreen). It does all of this except internet browsing and there's no apps. It's much better than the factory systems you see in cars today. less distraction. easy to use. refurbished cheap off ebay

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »
Subaru tradition: crappy stereo.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:30 am »

Subaru tradition:  crappy Fuel economy.

Now that they've fixed that, let's get going on quality interiors/stereos?!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »

Subaru tradition:  crappy Fuel economy.

Subaru tradition:  crappy head gaskets

Our Outback VDC has a McIntosh stereo, sounds great, too bad the engine's siezed
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:04 am »
McIntosh makes good stuff.  Notice that Subaru doesn't use them anymore.  Someone found out that they sold a car with a good system and put a stop to it!

As for Pioneer, I haven't shopped their stuff in a while.  I have some Pioneer Premier home audio equipment and I've been very happy with it, great bang for the buck.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 07:25:05 am »
McIntosh makes good stuff.  Notice that Subaru doesn't use them anymore.  Someone found out that they sold a car with a good system and put a stop to it!

As for Pioneer, I haven't shopped their stuff in a while.  I have some Pioneer Premier home audio equipment and I've been very happy with it, great bang for the buck.

My first audio system was a pioneer system that i bought new in 1980 when i was 17.  I sold it to a friend a few years after that and he still uses it today!  He said the volume control has a little static when adjusting, but still works great otherwise!  They certainly don't build them like that anymore!  :-[