Author Topic: Good drivers you encountered on the way to work.  (Read 1570 times)

Offline gascap

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Mustang(s)
Good drivers you encountered on the way to work.
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:13 pm »
As George Carlin said "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

We know from the other thread that there are a lot of idiots on the road, but every so often I encounter another driver who is courteous, attentive and driving well.  These people tend to renew my faith in other drivers, causing me to question my assumption that everyone on the road is retarded.

I thought I'd try creating a thread so we could share our encounters with these mythical creatures.

Mine:

Driving on the 401, just merged into the express from the collector, driving in the rightmost lane.  Traffic ahead in the passing lane, and the far right lane are heavy, but for whatever reason, the middle lane is wide open.  I check, signal, check again then start merging over.  A gentleman in a Infiniti G37 driving in the passing lane also see's the same traffic situation ahead, and performs the same actions I do, just out of phase with me.

As we both start to cross the dotted lines into the middle lane, we both see each other.  Obviously 2 objects can't occupy the same space without colliding, so both of us abort the lane change. He looks back over to re-assess, I indicate he should take the lane with the international sign for such instances, and he does.

I fall in behind and we pass the rolling roadblock that has formed.

faith++

Northernridge

Re: Good drivers you encountered on the way to work.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »
I also encountered myself...I'm a very good driver.

Actually, I see acts of courtesy everyday where drivers let others cut in front of them to get around our endless Winnipeg road construction work and such.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:33:28 pm »
Our main bridge across the harbour has been under repair all summer and is down to one lane in each direction from two....bumper to bumper a rush hour. At one particularly bad on ramp people have taken to alternating one car from the ramp, one car from the travel lane during rush hour. Best, most efficient solution and way better than the temporary stop sign the government put up.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:42:31 pm »
the days i ride my bike to work, I thank those that actually slow down (when needed) to be able to pass me with a little space between us. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »
Our main bridge across the harbour has been under repair all summer and is down to one lane in each direction from two....bumper to bumper a rush hour. At one particularly bad on ramp people have taken to alternating one car from the ramp, one car from the travel lane during rush hour. Best, most efficient solution and way better than the temporary stop sign the government put up.

i thought this was standard procedure during rush hour?

there's one particular section of deerfoot tr southbound near southland and anderson that merges 2 road into deerfoot tr. and it splits into 3 different road in about 4~500 meters, with deerfoot trail suddenly narrowing to 2 lanes from 4 just prior..   (i know.. whichever civic engineer that designed this part should be executed)

there's always people merging/exiting/jockying for position, that it literally becomes a crawl where 100km/h traffic suddenly becomes a stop-n-go.

i followed a few drivers who drove 40~60km/h leaving plenty of spaces in the left lane, and this section is suddenly a stress free breeze.  i thought it was very smart.  I would rather go 20km/h continuously than to burst to 40 then have to stop...then speed up then stop....  you know.

now i do this.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:30:50 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D