Author Topic: What's the best depreciated car of the past 10 years?  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What's the best depreciated car of the past 10 years?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 07:42:15 pm »
Either a Pontiac GTO or a G8, healthy GM LS V8 under the hood, solid driveling and infinitely upgradeble. I would love me a FGC, but even the oil changes make my eyes water.

They qualify for value but not depreciation. When GM killed Pontiac you could buy a brand new G8 GT for $27k. they aren't that much less now 4 yrs later.

I say Quattroporte of Jag XF qualify in the depreciation dep't. Better have a hefty slush fund if you buy one though.

Thats my thing, I trust nothing made in Europe.....they are awesome cars, but I am not a super villain living in a hollowed out volcano, I cant afford the upkeep. A GM...hell yeah.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:56 pm »
Either a Pontiac GTO or a G8, healthy GM LS V8 under the hood, solid driveling and infinitely upgradeble. I would love me a FGC, but even the oil changes make my eyes water.

They qualify for value but not depreciation. When GM killed Pontiac you could buy a brand new G8 GT for $27k. they aren't that much less now 4 yrs later.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't say no to one though.

My $$ would be going here loooooong before any FGC:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=48215&endYear=2014&modelCode1=ISF&showcaseOwnerId=571095&startYear=2008&makeCode1=LEXUS&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&firstRecord=26&sellerTypes=b&searchRadius=500&mmt=%5BLEXUS%5BISF%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=327304153&listingIndex=12&Log=0

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:53 am »
So very disappointed this didn't get more interest. What's wrong with you people. Update!

http://jalopnik.com/5982789/the-most-depreciated-cars-of-the-past-ten-years?utm_source=jalopnik.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Most would rather dream about new cars they can't afford than used cars they can?

How about these babies?
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/Cayenne/NORTH%20YORK/Ontario/5_15413705_ON20080811142122191/?showcpo=ShowCPO
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/X5/PARIS/Ontario/19_6567536_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

But that's the thing. As a younger man I used to dream about a lot of these cars. Now, with a budget of 30K-40K I can actually own one in reasonable condition!

I'd be very nervous of the maintenance costs of some of those though.

Exactly.This is why they have depreciated to such a level that you can afford it.

Yep.  It's one thing to pay $35k-$40k for a vehicle, but it's another thing entirely constantly shelling out $$$ on repairs and maintenance.  After reading how much Northernridge paid for an oil change for his MB, owning a post warranty FGC would scare the crap out of me.  LOL

Yes, but as Vman said, people seem to think maintenance is an expense, and depreciation non-existent.  If most people actually worked out what they lost in depreciation in the first two years then they'd never buy a new car ever again.  Is $1K in maintenance really expensive for a used car when a new car can lose you $5K-$10K in a year?  But you won't see it, it's hidden in your monthlies.

And there is no reason to go to a dealer for maintenance, especially oil changes.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 03:34:22 am »
Mercedes Benz S Class cars depreciate in a shocking manner. My business partner recently picked up a loaded 2010 S550 4Matic with 40,000 km in it for $65,000 including factory warranty. That car cost $140,000 new, meaning more than 50% in three years.

That's depreciation. Oh and the car sucks, his W126 was a way better car. The interior of the new one pales in comparison.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 06:47:56 am »
Bob's musing to paraphrase  "spending 1K on maintenance,but losing $5-$10K on depreciation...don't notice 'cos it's buried in the monthlies"... a truism non the less but the maintenance WILL be a lot HIGHER in most cases.....but you are driving a nice FGC not a Malibu :think: :stick:

I stopped having Monthlies after Man O' Pause ;) ...thing is many of these Euro Kars are Crap shoots...particularly the older Jags and any Italian stallions.....having V12's and Hefty V8's with all the toys attached(which Germans still seem to fumble the ball on ;) ) can be BIG TIME costly in  a heartbeat..so ROLL the Dice if Uber Expensive olde German metal gets yer Merkel moving ;D ....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:52:28 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 10:01:48 am »
I agree, I was so very close to buying a Jag, but the depreciation even after it had already depreciated was a killer.  Plus it wasn't insured against fall apart.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 10:16:52 am »
I agree, I was so very close to buying a Jag, but the depreciation even after it had already depreciated was a killer.  Plus it wasn't insured against fall apart.
To be clear, the phrase "Plus it wasn't insured against fall apart." - you mean no CPO available?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 05:20:53 pm »
To be clear, the phrase "Plus it wasn't insured against fall apart." - you mean no CPO available?
Railton
No, it's a simpsons reference. What I mean is that of all the CPO's available the Jag will depreciate the most and will also probably need the most repairs, so it had to come off the list unfortunately. Hopefully the 5 will be worth something when I finally sell it, XJR's are very difficult to get rid of, a lot of the ones I looked at were on sale for months on end.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 07:25:16 pm »
So very disappointed this didn't get more interest. What's wrong with you people. Update!

http://jalopnik.com/5982789/the-most-depreciated-cars-of-the-past-ten-years?utm_source=jalopnik.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Most would rather dream about new cars they can't afford than used cars they can?

How about these babies?
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/Cayenne/NORTH%20YORK/Ontario/5_15413705_ON20080811142122191/?showcpo=ShowCPO

But that's the thing. As a younger man I used to dream about a lot of these cars. Now, with a budget of 30K-40K I can actually own one in reasonable condition!

Exactly.This is why they have depreciated to such a level that you can afford it.

Yep.  It's one thing to pay $35k-$40k for a vehicle, but it's another thing entirely constantly shelling out $$$ on repairs and maintenance.  After reading how much Northernridge paid for an oil change for his MB, owning a post warranty FGC would scare the crap out of me.  LOL

Yes, but as Vman said, people seem to think maintenance is an expense, and depreciation non-existent.  If most people actually worked out what they lost in depreciation in the first two years then they'd never buy a new car ever again.  Is $1K in maintenance really expensive for a used car when a new car can lose you $5K-$10K in a year?  But you won't see it, it's hidden in your monthlies.

And there is no reason to go to a dealer for maintenance, especially oil changes.

Well said, Bob. People in this era are so used to perpetual car payments and the thrill of having a new car, they don't even consider what it is costing them.

Like in my associate's case. He knows what it costs, yet he needs a flash ride to wow clients, 99.99% of whom can't tell a 2010 S Class from a 2013. Even with an additional 5 yr/100,000 km factory warranty, his car was 50% of the price of a new one. So what if maintenance is $1000 a year, it is dirt cheap compared to buying new luxury cars.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »

How about these babies?

Well said, Bob. People in this era are so used to perpetual car payments and the thrill of having a new car, they don't even consider what it is costing them.

Like in my associate's case. He knows what it costs, yet he needs a flash ride to wow clients, 99.99% of whom can't tell a 2010 S Class from a 2013. Even with an additional 5 yr/100,000 km factory warranty, his car was 50% of the price of a new one. So what if maintenance is $1000 a year, it is dirt cheap compared to buying new luxury cars.

Regular maintenance is not an issue, it is the catastrophic failures outside of warranty that are for me. There might be $20k-$30k savings on purchasing an older out of warranty car but if you do not have $20k in the bank for these surprises then IMO you are foolish.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »

How about these babies?

Regular maintenance is not an issue, it is the catastrophic failures outside of warranty that are for me. There might be $20k-$30k savings on purchasing an older out of warranty car but if you do not have $20k in the bank for these surprises then IMO you are foolish.

Maybe so for a V12 S-Class, but not for most cars.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »

How about these babies?

:iagree:
Railton

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 08:01:26 pm »

How about these babies?

The question is, how many people that buy a $40K used car are paying cash and are void of car payments?  I have no idea what the numbers are, but I'd hazard a guess that most people are still financing and have monthly payments.  So if that is indeed the case, having monthly payments AND high maintenance/repairs bills on these vehicles can easily send you into financial hell! 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What's the best depreciated car of the past 10 years?
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 08:07:59 pm »

How about these babies?

The question is, how many people that buy a $40K used car are paying cash and are void of car payments? 

:hello:

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:32:37 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »

How about these babies?

Maybe so for a V12 S-Class, but not for most cars.

Add Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes Benz to the list. We won't get into British, French, and Italian  :) . Not that I don't like or want to own a FGC but as I buyer I accept the risks. I know a few Porsche owners who lose sleep and talked me out of my desire to buy a 911 last year. Basically told me to stay away if I was not prepared to keep $15k on hand for an IMS failure.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 11:15:56 pm »

How about these babies?

In my partner's case, the car included bumper to bumper for five additional years and up to 160,000 km. The car now has 50,000 km on it. Usually luxury used cars include factory warranties. My Acura also did.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 08:20:52 am »

How about these babies?

In my partner's case, the car included bumper to bumper for five additional years and up to 160,000 km. The car now has 50,000 km on it. Usually luxury used cars include factory warranties. My Acura also did.

That is the only way I would go.