Author Topic: Michelin Cross Climate All weather tire  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Michelin Cross Climate All weather tire
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:38:31 pm »
When new, the traction of the MICHELIN CrossClimate + on snow is the same level as the main "all-season" premium tires. When worn state, snow traction is equivalent to that of the same "all-season" premium tires, but when they are still at an intermediate wear level.
i don't find that to be all that great...all seasons typically suck in the winter, so saying their winter performance is comparable to other all season tires isn't a selling feature in my mind.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:06:12 pm »
When new, the traction of the MICHELIN CrossClimate + on snow is the same level as the main "all-season" premium tires. When worn state, snow traction is equivalent to that of the same "all-season" premium tires, but when they are still at an intermediate wear level.
i don't find that to be all that great...all seasons typically suck in the winter, so saying their winter performance is comparable to other all season tires isn't a selling feature in my mind.

But other people would be thinking these would be a great replacement for having to switch to winter tires. It is all in the marketing.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:28:46 pm »

Yes, I don't understand this statement at all. So what is the advantage of the all weathers over all season tires? This sounds like a translation gone wrong.

I had the original Nokia WR all weather tires on a car of mine back in 2000 when I was in sales and on the road a lot. The tires were phenomenal. Just a good as a snow tire in winter, incredible in the wet, plenty fine in dry weather in a "salesman's FWD 6cyl auto". But once they started to wear, they got noisy.

I installed a set of Nokia all weather "whatevers" six or seven years ago on my Dad's 1998 Camry. For him (and the car) all weathers were ideal. He only drove 2000 kms per year, and never went out during really bad weather, but when he (or I) did, the tires performed incredibly. For a driver such as him, all weather tires are a Godsend. I sold that car a few months ago with 50,200 original kms on it to a co-worker of my Brother's. The all weather Nokias were still in perfect condition with absolutely no cracks in the sidewall. (I was thinking about keeping the car for myself, but I really don't need two cars.)   

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:28:15 pm »
I got my brother to get Toyo Celsius (their all-weather tire) back in November and he likes them so far.  I'm going to ask him how it handled today's dump of snow/rain/slush conditions.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:34:05 pm »
I have the Cross Climate Plus on my RX-8 right now.

Works pretty well in rain and on dry pavements. I don't see much snow in West Coast.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:32:33 pm »
I got my brother to get Toyo Celsius (their all-weather tire) back in November and he likes them so far.  I'm going to ask him how it handled today's dump of snow/rain/slush conditions.
So I talked to my brother about the Celsius and he likes them so far even after today's crazy whether in the GTA.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:11:18 am »
I have these as well on my Peugeot (well the Cross Climate +, not sure what difference).

By no means a true snow tire, but suitable for the climate in the plains of France and Germany where it's usually a light dusting or just a very cold rain.

After about 5k on these, I'm satisfied. Good steering responses, no mush, and can still scrabble in some light snow.

I decided that true snow tires would be too much for my climate, but given the legal requirement this was a good way to check the boxes. However, I will still switch back to the 18" summer Pilot Sport 4s as soon as reasonably possible.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 04:21:30 pm »
So I drove them in the blizzard we West Coasters just experienced.

They are fine if you exercise some caution. I would get stuck with some snow and some slope, as well as slush, but overall I survived without too much trouble.

I would get snow tires, though, if our snow is something you see on a regular basis.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 05:26:20 pm »
I think with with all these all weathers the key is temperature. As long as it does not get too cold they grip fine.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »
I think with with all these all weathers the key is temperature. As long as it does not get too cold they grip fine.

Which kinda negates the ‘all weather’ concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:00:16 pm »
The cross climates seem like the first case of blatant abuse of the all weather term. All weathers are supposed to be winter tires that can be run in the summer.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
The cross climates seem like the first case of blatant abuse of the all weather term. All weathers are supposed to be winter tires that can be run in the summer.
meh...i've always considered all weather tires to be just a bit better in winter than all seasons.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 12:15:58 am »

Which kinda negates the ‘all weather’ concept.

Depends how cold the area gets. My Optimo's are hard as a stone at -20, so I bought Blizzaks for the winter in Alberta. But on the coast they'd probably be fine. They are very good here as a 'change over early' tire

My parents run the WR's, which have the same problem in the cold. But in the interior of BC they seem to be just fine

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 02:55:40 am »
It was conceived for people who live in areas with a more temperate, oceanic winter climate yet have the legal requirement to have the winter tire designation.

Not intended for say, 30cm snowstorms or brutal Canadian cold.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 05:55:55 am »
Which means it’s not all weather, it’s all weather within a carefully defined range, which may not be applicable to the area you live in.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Michelin Cross Climate All weather tire
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 08:08:16 am »
Which means it’s not all weather, it’s all weather within a carefully defined range, which may not be applicable to the area you live in.

Yep, sounds more like an all season. How did it get the mountain and snowflake symbol?

My WRs handled winter just fine.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 12:39:21 pm »

Yep, sounds more like an all season. How did it get the mountain and snowflake symbol?

My WRs handled winter just fine.

We've been through this before. Mountain/Snowflake symbol is a joke. To get the symbol, there is zero requirement for improved ice performance. All a tire has to do is measure 10% better than a reference all-season in a straight-line acceleration test on packed snow - that's it.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 04:12:07 pm »
lol I bought the all-weathers for the sake of legal compliance. I really wanted to just run summers year round like people in neighbouring countries with similar climates.

It never snows more than 3-5cm on a few rare occasions in the Frankfurt area. Sure, its gray and damp and cold, but also not more than -10°C cold. But of course, there are more extreme climates in eastern and southern Germany, so they have to make the law applicable to all vehicles within the country.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »
As a West Coaster, meh, don't really care much about snow performance. If it's better than a typical no-season, good enough for like 5 days of snow. This year is an exception.

If anything, ground clearance is a bigger concern for me in snow.

Crossclimate does fairly well in rain though. The Nokian Hak R2 winter tires slipped like wet banana peels in rain compared to them. And we see rain much, much more often than snow.

If you live in an area with lots of snow and can afford 2 sets of tires, use snow tires. Pretty no-brainer.