Author Topic: China and Japan squabble over Rocks.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:14:59 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Re: China and Japan squabble over Rocks.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:26:32 am »

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:48 am »
State endorsed unrest?

The surprise to me is the lack of police presence in the photos. Looks like a Vancouver riot...people running amok like it's a community pastime.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:26:40 am »
how many of those involved in the mob have anything to do with either the fishing or anything involved regarding those islands?

"hmm.. i don't agree with the governments decisions... therefore i'm going to roll over some guys truck on his way to work! that seems logical! i'm going to take offense at something that does not, has not, and would not affect(ed) me (had nobody told me about it) in any way, and i'm going to take it out on my neighbours who may share my dissagreement!  arrrrrgggg!!!!" *break stuff*
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:39:52 pm »
Chinese authorities have demonstrated the ability to terminate a demonstration when they want to.

Must be the oldest trick in the book to stir up negative public sentiment towards a national adversary.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:05:09 pm »
State endorsed unrest?

The surprise to me is the lack of police presence in the photos. Looks like a Vancouver riot...people running amok like it's a community pastime.

That's my suspicion.

The Chinese are pitching high and inside to let Japan know they're serious about territorial issues.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »
Well, Honda (and many other Japanese companies) have suspended operations currently.  There goes Fit production.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:32 pm »
Endorsed is unlikely. Tolerated moreso than other protests might be.* There's lots of riot police around the Japanese embassy from what I hear, but no real effort to break the thing up.

* imagine the backlash if this particular protest was actually put down. So they won't.

The Chinese are pitching high and inside to let Japan know they're serious about territorial issues.

I doubt that is the case. This results in nothing but destruction of economic value - most of the small shops being overrun are owned by Chinese anyways, all the property damage is in China etc. I also presume that the workers at the Honda/Panasonic/etc. plants are not being paid. It would be like showing someone you're serious by punching yourself.

More likely a "tipping point" type moment that just grew out of grassroots anger at "everything". Tomorrow (today, in Asia time) is the anniversary of the Japanese invasion of northern China so that combined with the islands purchase (this isn't really about the islands, that's just a catalyst), plus economic growth that is much slower than what people are used to, in a country that still has lots of deep seated social problems and economic injustice, and sometimes things are going to get out of hand. Mobs tend to do that.

Not justifying it - its actually extremely irrational as most mobs are. Just my two cents on the underlying causes.

Similarly, are the Middle East protests really about that one video? Or is there something deeper and that video is just another spark for the fire?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:09 am »
So, reports are popping up here and there that China may have some warships on the outside looking in by the islands.  They are still far away from going to war, but the escalation isn't encouraging

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:02:47 pm »
No Chinese warships can put up a good fight in front of ships from any nation backed by the mighty Pacific Fleet! So take your pick from the allies like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Philippines......A call from Obama and Harper might even send our subs there! >:(

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »
No Chinese warships can put up a good fight in front of ships from any nation backed by the mighty Pacific Fleet! So take your pick from the allies like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Philippines......A call from Obama and Harper might even send our subs there! >:(

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:24:16 pm »

well, that won't help... they'll hear the deisel pumping from miles away... or if they don't send those due to them getting fixed again, what will tourists do on the 20,000 leagues ride at the west edmonton mall while their subs are lent out.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26:02 pm »

Assuming either country automatically aides Japan.  Canada and China are huge trade partners now too and China basically owns the USA with all the dept the USA government owes that country.

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 06:38:01 pm »
For survival we stick with the Gorilla next door.  Debt can be restructured or better still write it off! The mighty Empire might be working on that already. Just my gut feeling!

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:53 pm »

Assuming either country automatically aides Japan.  Canada and China are huge trade partners now too and China basically owns the USA with all the dept the USA government owes that country.

And now China wants to own our natural resources. So China controls the US and now has its sights on Canada. Scary.

China controls the US?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 08:58:50 am »

And now China wants to own our natural resources. So China controls the US and now has its sights on Canada. Scary.

China controls the US?

OK, not well worded. I was reading Mikes post and was just in agreement with him as US debt to China is huge.

Pretty sure that Japan is the largest holder, or will be in the next month or two. Either way its quite comparable level wise.

That said, the level of understanding of the situation being exhibited in this thread is minimal. :)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:07 am »
If.the island is uninhabited, and historical ownership is unclear, its fair game.

However, Japan has been known to claim islands that are not theirs to further their international fishing grouNd and sea borders.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 11:24:40 am »

China controls the US?

OK, not well worded. I was reading Mikes post and was just in agreement with him as US debt to China is huge.

Less than 8% The US hold +40% of the US debt. Nice gig  :)