Author Topic: Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, dies  (Read 2757 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, dies
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 06:28:41 pm »
Honestly, I think we've reached a possible low point in many ways in terms of human curiosity.  There are beacons of hope like the discovery of the Higgs Boson and the search for the building blocks of all matter.  Someone commented to me about Steve Jobs and Apple, and I nearly choked.  Interesting and innovative and culturally relevant, yes, but they made a new phone.  It's just a phone.

Where do we draw inspiration from today?  Who are our heroes?  Are they reality TV scumbags that revel in their stupidity?  Are they a$$holes like Donald Trump that care only about himself and money?

Can you imagine the 21st Century Neil Armstrong?  After returning to earth, he'd appear at the local mall, signing autographs for $100 a pop.  He'd have on a Nike jacket and be doing commercials.  He'd travel around in a private plane or Escalade with bodyguards and groupies and have a model/actress girlfriend.  Nike would try to trademark the word "moon" for use in their ads.  They'd sue NASA, and YouTube would have to pull footage of the landing due to some ridiculous copyright suit.

Strength. Of. Character.  Armstrong, Aldrin and other get-it-done people of their generation made $hit happen and did for the sake of it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
I'll put up Burt Rutan as one of the few.   A low key sort of guy by all accounts but... round the world non-stop flight, Spaceship one. 

Lawyers and political spin doctors  are a big part of the problem and of course the Precautionary Principle.   Which boils down to :  if you do nothing you can't be blamed for it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 07:48:09 pm »
People and organizations are so cautious today that it takes ten times as long to get anything done. Any hint of trouble leads to years of delay. Remember (well, many of you don't) how long it took for the Space Shuttle to fly again after the Challenger crash? Challenger and Columbia crashes both grounded U.S. manned flight for two and half years each.

Here's the way things worked in the "old" days.

Apollo 8 was to be the very first manned flight on a Saturn V booster. It was to be a test flight in Earth orbit with the Lunar Module as part of the package...scheduled for early 1969. But there were problems that delayed the LM and it wouldn't be ready in time. What to do? Today, the answer would be obvious: Delay the mission until the Lunar Module was ready for it's earth orbit test.

But what did they do in 1968? Rather than wait for the LM to be ready for the Earth orbit test. They decided to forget about the LM and they moved the mission ahead of schedule by three months and, instead of orbiting the Earth, they decided to lauch the very FIRST manned Saturn V test as a manned shot to orbit the moon. So they compensated for a hardware delay by moving up the rest of the schedule.

Now here is a hoot of a video. This is the unmanned Apollo 4. This is the very first flight of a Saturn V. NOBODY had ever experienced anything like this before. This was a giant cannon in a world of peashooters. Listen to the second half of this video when poor old Walter Cronkite (who reported from London during WWII) thinks the building is about fall down around him.

http://youtu.be/1uoVfZpx5dY

Northernridge

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »
I'm with T-Bob...you guys are a sad sorry lot.  ???

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 11:48:50 am »
I'm with T-Bob...you guys are a sad sorry lot.  ???

How old are you?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 11:57:33 am »
I was listening to a radio talk show (very reliable source of info  ;D) and they were commenting how the whole landing was a sham. I don't know much about the conspiracy, but I tend to think they actually did land on the moon. The question of whether or not it happened, though, would make Mr. Armstrong either one of the worlds' pioneering heroes or one of the greatest fakes of all time. I guess that's a question that will likely be debated over for decades - alas, what seems to me to be a truthfully great man has passed away and that indeed is a loss.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, dies
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 12:31:50 pm »
Elvis is with Michael jackson at some burger joint

Sent from my iPhone

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 12:45:16 pm »
I was listening to a radio talk show (very reliable source of info  ;D) and they were commenting how the whole landing was a sham. I don't know much about the conspiracy, but I tend to think they actually did land on the moon. The question of whether or not it happened, though, would make Mr. Armstrong either one of the worlds' pioneering heroes or one of the greatest fakes of all time. I guess that's a question that will likely be debated over for decades - alas, what seems to me to be a truthfully great man has passed away and that indeed is a loss.

Debated for decades by complete morons. There is no controversy whatsoever among those with brains and a little education.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 12:48:02 pm »
It's only within the last month that the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has been able to photograph every lunar landing site. I'm sure conspiracy whackos will never be satisfied but, as more and better images become available, questions should be laid to rest.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:14:15 pm by Dexer »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »
It's not even remotely plausible that they faked the moon landing.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 01:02:56 pm »
I'm not really taking sides here, just saying there is lots of debate. Like 1) how were there cameras on the surface to film the landing/takeoff? 2) Why was the flag waving when there's no air? 3) something about shadows not being right...

??? ??? ???

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »
The term debate would indicate both sides of some form of argument to make.  This is not the case.  Breaking news:

We landed on the moon

Terrorists flew planes into the WTCs

Obama was born in the US

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »
I'm not really taking sides here, just saying there is lots of debate. Like 1) how were there cameras on the surface to film the landing/takeoff? 2) Why was the flag waving when there's no air? 3) something about shadows not being right...

??? ??? ???

Here you go. Educate yourself.

http://www.clavius.org/

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 01:52:00 pm »
should only count as debate when both sides are logical. i'm all for conspiracy theories... but more for fun and to show people at least have imaginations.

rip... a bad week for the name armstrong.

watch out... we may find out that stretch armstrong is made of asbestos and causes cancer.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:57 pm »
The term debate would indicate both sides of some form of argument to make.  This is not the case.  Breaking news:

We landed on the moon

Terrorists flew planes into the WTCs

Obama was born in the US

...and Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson are not dining together at a burger joint (sorry AB).
Link please  ;D

Those pictures prove nothing You can not make out anything  :P

Didnt they use Snowy's 4*4 trails for the landing in Sudbury  :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:34 pm »
Strength. Of. Character.  Armstrong, Aldrin and other get-it-done people of their generation made $hit happen and did for the sake of it.

Agreed.  I can't go beyond 15 feet on a climbing wall without the heebie-jeebies getting to me.  Get into some tin can to get shot to the moon, land the device, get out, bounce around and head back to earth, and hope to God that I don't fry like an ant under a magnifiying glass on the way back in?  Yeah, I don't think so. 

All those dudes were major ballers.  They were an inspiration - we need more heroes like that.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 06:50:17 pm »
 :rofl2: man there are a few nut bars on these boards.