Author Topic: MTO, OPP and CAA Want to End Distracted Driving  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: MTO, OPP and CAA Want to End Distracted Driving
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 05:57:00 pm »
Per the FARS database...the #1 most distracting thing in a car....ANOTHER PERSON.

#2  HAVAC/RADIO CONTROLS/CAR CONTROLS

Of course, those first too aren't as sensational as texting/talking while driving...... ::)

With steering wheel controls, you could take out the radio controls out of the equation. Also, if theyre not crying children, how is another person that distracting???

Just talking to them.  This is nothing new.  People in the car have long been the #1 driver distraction.  For years.

And car controls still come in at #2.

Not nearly as dangerous I think as staring at your crotch while trying to type a text message or e-mail on a little keyboard.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »
you know we have too many features on the car when some of the newest technology such as "intelligent driver information system" is in place...

all this does is "monitor driver workload and delays less important information in traffic situations that require more driver interaction"

well, that should just solve everything!

as for other people being the problem.. guess we won't use those carpool lanes much if we really want to be safe!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »
Per the FARS database...the #1 most distracting thing in a car....ANOTHER PERSON.

Of course, those first too aren't as sensational as texting/talking while driving...... ::)

With steering wheel controls, you could take out the radio controls out of the equation. Also, if theyre not crying children, how is another person that distracting???

Just talking to them.  This is nothing new.  People in the car have long been the #1 driver distraction.  For years.

Not nearly as dangerous I think as staring at your crotch while trying to type a text message or e-mail on a little keyboard.......

I never have to stare at my crotch , I already know what is there  ;D

vdk

MTO, OPP and CAA Want to End Distracted Driving
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:22 pm »

Yeah Still think texting is the worst. Your eyes are trying to read a small font text written not in English but some pseudo language that you need to decipher while driving down a road full of idiots.

Plus most keyboards are no longer physical keyboards but rather buttons on a screen. I could type on my BB with my eyes closed 99% correct.

The person next to you can talk, and you will hear and understand without having to take your eyes off the road. If the person next to you has a nice rack, pull over and admire, no one will blame you.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 06:31:16 pm »

Perhaps.  But Canada is only GUESSING that this is an issue, since they DO NOT keep records on specific causes of accidents, unlike the USA's FARS Database.  I've done plenty of research on this.  At best, for these types of accidents, Canada is guessing.

Before you were here (I think), I did extensive research on Street Racing, Distracted Driving, etc.  I wrote a few articles.  The street racing one was picked up by several news outlets, a couple of magazines and just about every car forum in the USA it seemed.

Here's some of it:

"Recently, there has been much in print and much grandstanding by politicians, Attorney Generals and Police Commissioners about how street racing is an "epidemic." Sadly, Joe Public eats it all up since he/she really has no clue and no way or verifying if what the talking heads are saying is true. How do I know this? Well that's because Canada doesn't compile and keep statistics on the causes of accidents, which would include those by street racing (this is still true.  OPP has no idea how many fatalities come from what.  They do not have a FARS system as the USA does).  As an auto enthusiast and an engineer for an automotive manufacturing company, I take a keen interest in all things automotive. So I decided to do much research on the topic so that I could make my own decision. With little information available here, I had to turn to the US. By all accounts, street racing is a much more serious problem in the US than it is here. Well after coming up empty for statistics from Transport Canada, I found a wealth of information from the National Highway Safety Administration FARS (Fatality Analysis Accident Reporting System) statistics. Street racing has been included in the FARS database since 1998.

"The statistics, to say the least, were eye opening.  Far from being a scourge of the highways, street racing accounts for very few traffic deaths. From 1998-2005, there were 304,236 fatalities on U.S. roads.  Of these, a mere 353 (0.12 per cent) were from street racing. For comparative purposes, I also looked at other common causes. Talking on a cellphone, another dangerous driving habit much hyped by police and the media was only slightly less dangerous at 327 deaths (0.11 per cent). Bear in mind, millions of Canadians talk on cell phones daily; an act statistically as dangerous as street racing.

Driving slower than the posted speed limit (429 deaths, 0.14 per cent) accounted for more deaths. Surprisingly, being distracted by something inside the vehicle, such as talking to a passenger, adjusting a mirror, fiddling with a radio or eating caused an eye-opening 38,914 deaths (12.79 per cent). Again, this is something plenty of people do every day while driving. Some of the highest trained street drivers in the world, police officers, caused nearly four times the fatalities (1,357, 0.44 per cent) of street racers!  But these all pale in comparison to drunk driving. Nearly 144,000 people were killed by drunk drivers in the U.S., a staggering 44 per cent of all fatalities. Canada isn't much better. Drunk driving here is responsible for at least 30 per cent of all fatalities, claiming sometimes over 1,000 victims per year.  By contrast I've been only able to find less than a dozen deaths caused by street racing in Canada for the last two years combined.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:38 am »

Perhaps.  But Canada is only GUESSING that this is an issue, since they DO NOT keep records on specific causes of accidents, unlike the USA's FARS Database.  I've done plenty of research on this.  At best, for these types of accidents, Canada is guessing.

Before you were here (I think), I did extensive research on Street Racing, Distracted Driving, etc.  I wrote a few articles.  The street racing one was picked up by several news outlets, a couple of magazines and just about every car forum in the USA it seemed.

Here's some of it:

"Recently, there has been much in print and much grandstanding by politicians, Attorney Generals and Police Commissioners about how street racing is an "epidemic." Sadly, Joe Public eats it all up since he/she really has no clue and no way or verifying if what the talking heads are saying is true. How do I know this? Well that's because Canada doesn't compile and keep statistics on the causes of accidents, which would include those by street racing (this is still true.  OPP has no idea how many fatalities come from what.  They do not have a FARS system as the USA does).  As an auto enthusiast and an engineer for an automotive manufacturing company, I take a keen interest in all things automotive. So I decided to do much research on the topic so that I could make my own decision. With little information available here, I had to turn to the US. By all accounts, street racing is a much more serious problem in the US than it is here. Well after coming up empty for statistics from Transport Canada, I found a wealth of information from the National Highway Safety Administration FARS (Fatality Analysis Accident Reporting System) statistics. Street racing has been included in the FARS database since 1998.

"The statistics, to say the least, were eye opening.  Far from being a scourge of the highways, street racing accounts for very few traffic deaths. From 1998-2005, there were 304,236 fatalities on U.S. roads.  Of these, a mere 353 (0.12 per cent) were from street racing. For comparative purposes, I also looked at other common causes. Talking on a cellphone, another dangerous driving habit much hyped by police and the media was only slightly less dangerous at 327 deaths (0.11 per cent). Bear in mind, millions of Canadians talk on cell phones daily; an act statistically as dangerous as street racing.

Driving slower than the posted speed limit (429 deaths, 0.14 per cent) accounted for more deaths. Surprisingly, being distracted by something inside the vehicle, such as talking to a passenger, adjusting a mirror, fiddling with a radio or eating caused an eye-opening 38,914 deaths (12.79 per cent). Again, this is something plenty of people do every day while driving. Some of the highest trained street drivers in the world, police officers, caused nearly four times the fatalities (1,357, 0.44 per cent) of street racers!  But these all pale in comparison to drunk driving. Nearly 144,000 people were killed by drunk drivers in the U.S., a staggering 44 per cent of all fatalities. Canada isn't much better. Drunk driving here is responsible for at least 30 per cent of all fatalities, claiming sometimes over 1,000 victims per year.  By contrast I've been only able to find less than a dozen deaths caused by street racing in Canada for the last two years combined.

Ok, let me ask you this, which one would be easier to curb, drunk driving or fiddling with your phone?? DUI has been a problem for years and years, the police has been trying everything to stop this and to this date I have yet to hear of anything 100% effective. I honestly think that they have kinda given up on the whole DUI thing and needed something else easier to catch and prosecute. Cindi texting on her phone, if caught, will pull right over and take the ticket, meanwhile, Billy Bob will tear through a neighborhood at 180KM/H to try not to get his 3rd DUI. Im not saying that its the most dangerous thing you can do while driving, seems that morons driving under the speed limit are more dangerous, but you cant say to me that trying to type on a phone isnt distracting.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 10:44:50 am »
yeah, i hear what you are saying fob.

though the problem might not cause as many accidents or deaths, it might be the most preventable.

i think they need to sort out stiffer penalties for all driving infractions besides the common speeding.