Author Topic: Majority of Drivers Find in Car Connectivity Too Distracting  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Majority of Drivers Find in Car Connectivity Too Distracting
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:31:30 am »

In-car technology is revolutionizing the driving experience, especially when it comes to connectivity options, including mobile device connection to the Internet, navigation systems, emergency response systems, and driving habit monitoring devices.
Read More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Majority of Drivers Find in Car Connectivity Too Distracting
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:36 am »
I just gave my view on the "MY FORD SYNC" thread....available on PAY PER VIEW......... ;) 8) .
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:03 am »
I get in, connect phone to bluetooth and drive away, but thats all I have. If you have too much crap going on in the car I could definetly see a whole bunch of lights, screens and alarms going off....yeah, I could see that as being distracting.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:42:12 am »
Agree. Like I've said elsewhere display screens make car interiors more ugly and are central to driving distractions. A stereo with buttons and a phone for emergencies would satisfy me.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:16:13 am »
Agree. Like I've said elsewhere display screens make car interiors more ugly and are central to driving distractions. A stereo with buttons and a phone for emergencies would satisfy me.

Agree with your points on all counts, and would say in addition that screens and onboard tech can date a car once technology moves forward. The nav screens in cars that are even 4-5 years old look ancient compared to today's modern units, and personally I wouldn't want to buy a used car with a big old GPS built into the dash.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:47:04 am »

Agree with your points on all counts, and would say in addition that screens and onboard tech can date a car once technology moves forward. The nav screens in cars that are even 4-5 years old look ancient compared to today's modern units, and personally I wouldn't want to buy a used car with a big old GPS built into the dash.

How is that different than any other form of styling? The interior of a 1990s car looks like a 1990s car regardless of the presence of a screen.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:05:45 pm »

How is that different than any other form of styling? The interior of a 1990s car looks like a 1990s car regardless of the presence of a screen.

That's true, but I would say the screen dominates much more of the center console real estate than a CD player or tape deck...it's pretty hard to ignore. Plus, they are often integrated in such a way that swapping it out for a newer unit becomes difficult, unlike the aforementioned CD/tape decks. It's difficult to tell if a CD player is a month old or 5 years old, but you could tell at first glance looking at a nav screen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:10:00 pm by aaronk »

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »

That's how I felt about my last e class. The car aged very well except for the nav/telematics. By the time I sold it the nav was junk compared to even the cheapest Nuvi, and the overall operation was slower and less intuitive than what was available on the cheapest car. Also, a $125k Benz has the same techno-crap as a $40k model...doesn't seem right either.

On the other hand this technology is still in its infancy in autos so we'll see lots of development. If I was running marketing for a car maker I'd look for a partnership with a real consumer electronics company and create a system that can be routinely upgraded like a desktop computer to the point where it can literally transform several times during the life of the car.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:49 pm »

That's how I felt about my last e class. The car aged very well except for the nav/telematics. By the time I sold it the nav was junk compared to even the cheapest Nuvi, and the overall operation was slower and less intuitive than what was available on the cheapest car. Also, a $125k Benz has the same techno-crap as a $40k model...doesn't seem right either.

On the other hand this technology is still in its infancy in autos so we'll see lots of development. If I was running marketing for a car maker I'd look for a partnership with a real consumer electronics company and create a system that can be routinely upgraded like a desktop computer to the point where it can literally transform several times during the life of the car.
Thats why I would never get nav or a big touch screen in my car. I can buy a Garmin and get updates for it and it will be up to date forever, plus, I can take it out and move it to another car. The big center touch screen for stereo/climate controls I dont because its hard to upgrade and god forbid the screen ever goes, your facked for heating/air conditioning. If the stereo in my car goes, meh, big deal, if I cant defrost my windows at -35 because the touch screen bit it, Im gonna be very PO'd.