Author Topic: Many in Ontario Not Clear About Vehicle Theft  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Many in Ontario Not Clear About Vehicle Theft
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:30:19 am »

For vehicle owners, theft is an ongoing concern
Read More...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Many in Ontario Not Clear About Vehicle Theft
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
When we bought our sedan, it was on the top-12 list of stolen cars.  The car isn't worth a lot, but it had seen minor vandalism and was broken into once before I got an alarm system installed.  I felt it was only a matter of time before it was taken, and even minor damage cost more than a good alarm system.  Since installing the system it has not been vandalized. 

False alarms caused by loud garbage trucks are a bit of a nuisance, and until I disabled the self-arming feature it annoyingly went off all the time during servicing.

I think that getting an alarm system that's more capable than otherwise justified by the value of the vehicle is a very sensible thing to do.  And I got a remote locking feature in the bargain.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:39:14 pm »
I've never had a car stolen so pardon my ignorance, but what makes up that $2,500 of out of pocket expenses even when you have replacement insurance??

I believe the replacement value rider in my policy only covers vehicles up to two years old, so I don't have replacement insurance on my vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:46 am »
Rental car, deductibles, etc can add up.

Our depreciation waiver on the Corolla was 100% replacement to current model for the first four years, and after that we receive the value of a car two years newer with 50K less in the case of a total loss.  This applies to all three cars.

But, that doesn't mean we don't work to prevent theft.