Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Honda CR-V Touring; Day 1  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Honda CR-V Touring; Day 1
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:03:21 am »

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Honda CR-V Touring; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:03:59 am »
We walked past a new CRV in a parking lot without any other cars around it and both the gf and I were struck by how big this thing is.

The gf in particular was dismayed as it turns out she had a CRV in the back of her mind but she'd never get anything this big.  She liked the previous size as "nimble and perky".

Not any longer that is for sure.

No doubt a nice machine but now way too big to run around in in the city.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:24:02 am »
12 hours of travelling  but only 2 in CRV, did you have to walk there to pick it up  :rofl:

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:54:37 am »
12 hours of travelling  but only 2 in CRV, did you have to walk there to pick it up  :rofl:

Maybe it was just 2 hours of travelling in the CRV, but felt like 12 because it's a CRV?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:06:53 am »
Lol, no I flew from Nashville to Ottawa, then drove to ogdensburg when I got back

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:13 am »
This car blew me away when we did the CUV comparison.  Out of the five vehicles we tested, to me it was by far the most comfortable and enjoyable to drive.  Looking forward to your comments.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:35:55 am »
We walked past a new CRV in a parking lot without any other cars around it and both the gf and I were struck by how big this thing is.

The gf in particular was dismayed as it turns out she had a CRV in the back of her mind but she'd never get anything this big.  She liked the previous size as "nimble and perky".

Not any longer that is for sure.

No doubt a nice machine but now way too big to run around in in the city.

Cheers,
John M.

I'd have to disagree with that pretty much completely.  First of all, it's hard to draw reliable dynamic conclusions about a vehicle just by walking around it.  Second, the whole compact SUV class is more or less this size now - including the very nimble and very perky CX-5.  Third, having driven both, the CR-V doesn't give up much to the Mazda in the handling department.  We flogged them pretty hard on twisty country roads in the comparison test, and the CR-V more than held its own.  Fourth, if this car is "way too big to run around in the city", how do all the people driving vehicles WAY bigger than this possibly manage?

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:19:34 am »
Funny stuff here...I'm confused is JohnM dissatisfied by the size of the vehicle or he's influenced by his gf, it isn't clear from the post...What is clear is that CR-V is still the standard in the class it pioneered in 90s. Rogue, new Mazda, Tuscon/Sportage and domestics Escape and Equinox all are competetive in one or other way but overall CR-V is a really benchmark from reliability to functionality. Honda deserves a credit for the evolutionary approach to this gen CR-V, something that didn't work quite well with last Civic, unfortunately.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:59:53 am »
Looks like the CR-V has a huge blind spot at the a-piller just like our ford edge.  Drives me nut sometimes.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:01:44 pm »
Well I checked the length and the CRV is still around 178 inches long.  I don't know why it looks so much longer at least to us - maybe the proportions have changed somewhat.

Nevertheless, it apparently hasn't been injected with the usual upsizing growth hormones new models get and my size alarm was unjustified!

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »
Well I checked the length and the CRV is still around 178 inches long.  I don't know why it looks so much longer at least to us - maybe the proportions have changed somewhat.

Nevertheless, it apparently hasn't been injected with the usual upsizing growth hormones new models get and my size alarm was unjustified!

Cheers,
John M.

I agree it looks a lot bigger than last year's model.  Maybe it's the bulbous rear end that protrudes out from the top that makes it look out of proportion.  Looks like a big improvement on the interior, but exterior styling hasn't been Honda's forte lately.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »
I agree it looks a lot bigger than last year's model.  Maybe it's the bulbous rear end that protrudes out from the top that makes it look out of proportion.  Looks like a big improvement on the interior, but exterior styling hasn't been Honda's forte lately.

+1  That rear quarter styling is hideous.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »
Where day 2?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
It's the weekend we don't publish again till Tuesday I'll do 2&3 as one I think

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 05:13:15 pm »
It's the weekend we don't publish again till Tuesday I'll do 2&3 as one I think

Jeebus. I didn't know you guys had been bought by the government. ???
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »
Gov?  It's a holiday you should be out drinking beer!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »
NEW SLOGAN............."I'll do a 2& 3 in a CRV" beers that is........... :stick: :cheers: :drool: :fall:..............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
My wife just bought the very model of CRV you are testing - even the same colour!

I agree with most of your comments. I have noticed the brake dive (which is not a deal breaker but there) and the road noise is hard to pinpoint because this CUV is exceptionally quiet otherwise - the noise really varies more on the road surface than by speed.

We looked at the Mazda CX5 as the only other viable competitor ( in terms of size, quality, features etc) . Really wanted my wife to like it because we had bought many other Mazda's from that dealer and love their service and the advance reviews were pretty good. But, the Mazda CX-5 was a no go in a few critical areas for her (and me in some areas):

a) she could not get comfortable with the centre console/armrest - it did not extend far enough forward for her to rest her right arm on it when the seat was where it needed to be for her.

b) she felt claustrophobic in it compared to her Mazda 5 van and the CRV.

c)  the back seat windows did not allow our kids to see out as well as in the CRV - too high.

d) the HVAC control readouts are hard to see in the bright sun as they are so low in the dash area.

d) It is a slug power wise - could barely merge to 80K with 4 of us in it on a flat road - I mean it is the least powerful vehicle I have driven since the heydays of the early 80's when manufacturers were struggling with new emissions and fuel economy.

So, the CRV is not perfect. It does not drive as well as the CX5 in terms of all out handling and its dash materials are hard plastic - but for her and me,  the combination of outward visibility, the dash layout, ease of use, relaxing nature to drive, overall design (better back seat room than anything else) and good dealership sold us. As well, not a squeak or rattle in it so far - something I can't say was the case with my Hyundai Veracruz when I bought it.

So while not what I would by for me, works great for her - to each his own.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 03:41:11 pm »
Congrats on the purchase!

I like the previous version's exterior, but the interior styling of this one looks better.
As others said, the view from the back isn't very appealing at all, either.
I thought Honda was all about handling, but it sounds like they're going the Toyota way with now-softened-up RDX and CRV.

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »
Congrats on the purchase!

I like the previous version's exterior, but the interior styling of this one looks better.
As others said, the view from the back isn't very appealing at all, either.
I thought Honda was all about handling, but it sounds like they're going the Toyota way with now-softened-up RDX and CRV.

I don't think the handling is soft per se. Certainly no worse than other types of this vehicle other than the CX-5 which is much more geared towards the far end of the handling range - but also rides stiffer. The CRV corners without too much roll and responds quickly to steering inputs.