Author Topic: New Focus ECOnetic 3.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres  (Read 2004 times)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
New Focus ECOnetic 3.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »
Ford media just released information on their up coming European only Focus ECOnetic with a 1.6-litre Ford Duratorq TDCi diesel engine.

Bring on the platitudes why we can't get this on this side of pond.

http://media.ford.com/news/fordrevealsnewfocuseconeticeuropesmostfuelefficientcompactcar.htm

???

Priced from £17,750 (est); or 28,551.50 CAD (tax in) to go on sale June 2012 in the U.K.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:12:35 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: New Focus ECOnetic 3.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »
I suspect that Ford NA ( aka Head Office) don't think it would sell in NA at a price they'd have to charge nor in volumes enough to justify the cost of certifying the power train as well as that it might cannibalize sales of the F150. 
I don't think there is any point in NA, apart from bragging rights, to build a fleet that is more economical that is required for CAFE.  There used to be when CAFE was structured differently but IIRC it has been changed.

However, put the price of Gas and Diesel in NA up to $6-7 a US gallon in the US and  $1.75 to $2 a litre in Canada and maybe, just maybe cars like this would appear.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »
I suspect that Ford NA ( aka Head Office) don't think it would sell in NA at a price they'd have to charge nor in volumes enough to justify the cost of certifying the power train as well as that it might cannibalize sales of the F150. 

Say what? A focus may cannibalize sales of the F-150?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:47:54 pm »

For people who only renovate very small houses and by shorter 2x4s and 1/4 sheets of drywall.    People in the Uk ( which is small as well) renovate small houses and drive Focus diesels

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

Agreed, I don't see the focus and the F150 competing head to head. Four door commuter car vs full size utilitarian pick up.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:53:17 pm »

Agreed, I don't see the focus and the F150 competing head to head. Four door commuter car vs full size utilitarian pick up.

Notwithstanding the small people in the small country building the small houses, there is not a person in North America that has cross shopped the Focus and F-150 for the same purpose.  :)

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:08:26 pm »
"there is not a person in North America that has cross shopped the Focus and F-150 for the same purpose."

True but -

I've had minivans and cargo vans that I bought to haul goods not to cruise around in.  My freight hauling is reduced but I've made it a real point to become much more efficient.

I pull a trailer with the Echo if needed and the Echo by itself holds an amazing amount as do all hatchbacks.  Once you master the art of front passenger seat removal, capacity becomes amazing.

When absolutely necessary, I'll rent a cargo van but those occasions are fewer now that I've maximized the use of what I have.

Let's face it, very, very few people use the capacity of the vehicles they have whether it be pickups or vans or 300hp commuter cars.  $3/L gas will resuscitate the efficiency neurons and we'll all learn to get by with less excess.  On the rare occasions when capacity is needed, rental is an easy solution.

Cheers,
John M.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:10:07 pm by JohnM »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:38:32 pm »
Ford media just released information on their up coming European only Focus ECOnetic with a 1.6-litre Ford Duratorq TDCi diesel engine.

http://media.ford.com/news/fordrevealsnewfocuseconeticeuropesmostfuelefficientcompactcar.htm

???
i doubt that diesel is a "clean diesel"...blame the governments in the US and Canada for making diesel vehicles follow the same emissions requirements as their gasoline counterparts for the lack of diesels here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:42:36 am »

???
i doubt that diesel is a "clean diesel"...blame the governments in the US and Canada for making diesel vehicles follow the same emissions requirements as their gasoline counterparts for the lack of diesels here.
I suspect that as that engine will have to meet EU5 and maybe EU6 that it could be made to meet the benighted EPA standards very easily. 

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:53:59 am »
Thanks for the research Redman.

This is the exact type of vehicle Canadians would buy if only someone would sell it in our market.

Make mine a wagon!

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »
Make mine a wagon!

The forum motto!  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:32:51 pm »
Make mine a wagon!

The forum motto!  ;D

You could order in 50 manual tranny and at the year end you would have discount 49 of them  :rofl: