Author Topic: Steering You Right: He really did stop  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: He really did stop
« on: February 06, 2012, 03:02:59 am »

A driver says he stopped at a stop sign.  A police officer says he didn't.  Who does the judge believe?

Read More...

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Re: Steering You Right: He really did stop
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
...no he didn't.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:10:01 pm »
Cop fixated on stop sign then sees car coming to stopping area. Cop then fixates on box of fresh donuts on front passenger seat. Cop looks up again at stop sign area and sees car after stop sign. Obviously guilty and decides to pad another ticket.
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »
Rolling stops were once known as "Montreal stops", presumably everywhere but in Montreal.  It seems to have become almost the norm in Calgary to charge up to a stop sign, and if there isn't a car within three or four car lengths, get back on the gas.
Many years ago, when a student in Toronto, a few of us rented a Mustang for a weekend (the new hot car in town in '65!) and cruised around.  We drove to the Yorkville area, where traffic was stop-and-go.  I followed a car to a T-intersection which had a stop sign.  I must have made five slow-speed starts and stops getting to the intersection, but after making the turn, we were waved over by a uniform, who accused me of "failing to stop at the corner."  I think the last stop I made was behind the line traced by the position of the sign, and I expressed surprise that I had been stopped, since that is one of the Highway Traffic Act rules (which no one at all seems to remember today).  I said I knew that was how the law was enforced in Saskatchewan, and the cop quickly shooed me away.  At least I didn't have to defend myself in court.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:58:31 pm »
"The police officer testified that he was parked in that spot because there had been several reports from local citizens 30-35 year old stay at home moms complaining that drivers tended to roll through the stop sign at this T intersection."

Fixed for accuracy.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:40:43 am »
Just got this email this morning and it seems appropriate.

Scottish Cop

A London lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Glasgow copper.

He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from LONDON and is certain that he has a better education then any Jock cop. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Glasgow cops expense!

Glasgow cop says, " Licence and registration, please."

London Lawyer says, "What for?"

Glasgow cop says, "Ye didnae come to a complete stop at the stop sign."

London Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming."

Glasgow cop says, "Ye still didnae come to a complete stop. Licence and registration, please" 

London Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"

Glasgow cop says, "The difference is, ye huvte come to complete stop, that's the law.  Licence and registration, please!"

London Lawyer says, "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my licence and registration and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don't give me the ticket."

Glasgow cop says, "Sounds fair. Exit your vehicle, sir."

The London Lawyer exits his vehicle.

The Glasgow cop takes out his baton and starts beating the living :censor: out of the lawyer and says, "Dae ye want me to stop, or just slow doon?"

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:59:07 am »
:rofl2: