Author Topic: 2012 (Euro) Mercedes-Benz B-Class World Premiere  (Read 2883 times)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
2012 (Euro) Mercedes-Benz B-Class World Premiere
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:00 am »
2012 Mercedes-Benz B-Class World Premiere
The world premiere of the new B-Class will take place at the Frankfurt International Motor Show September 13 to the 25, 2011

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/mercedes-benz/b-class/2012-mercedes-benz-b-class-world-premiere/
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 (Euro) Mercedes-Benz B-Class World Premiere
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:35 am »
Interior looks really nice, but the exterior doesn't seem sporty enough for me, even with a longer and lower body compared to last generation.

Hope the A-Class will be more sporty, but if it isn't coming to Canada then it wouldn't really matter.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:00 am »
the interior looks pretty good.  outside, not so much.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:56:25 pm »
I'm happy it's still very upright and space efficient. It's the primary reason these things have sold so well, and it's what has made them so unique. The interior richening is certainly welcome, as are powertrain enhancements. This thing would be great with a d---- BlueTec.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:55:15 pm »
Much better interior. Exterior doesn't look as awkward as the outgoing one. I guess that means I like it.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:52:04 am »
It still looks a bit awkward in pictures... but I suppose the space efficient part of the design is a good thing. The concept had me believing they were going to do a very different car but this looks like an update of the old one.

Interior looks really nice at least.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
Oh the metal torture  ;)

I like it better than the outgoing model but I wonder why car makers need to copy one another and do these silly creases on the doors and panels. How shopping cart and kickin' doors friendly are they? From the car ownership experience I much prefer these:

Looks like what I had. You absolutely could NOT dent those doors.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:11 pm »
Oh the metal torture  ;)

I like it better than the outgoing model but I wonder why car makers need to copy one another and do these silly creases on the doors and panels. How shopping cart and kickin' doors friendly are they? From the car ownership experience I much prefer these:

Looks like what I had. You absolutely could NOT dent those doors.

You may not be able to dent those doors...but look what you have to put up with in terms of styling :D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:01:59 pm »
Well, what do you guys want from a 15 y.o. beater? Still using those curved creases is a questionable design move to begin with and a PITA to keep the car dent free.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:10 pm »
Well, what do you guys want from a 15 y.o. beater? Still using those curved creases is a questionable design move to begin with and a PITA to keep the car dent free.
My parents old Intrepid had slightly more stylish protectors but that didn't stop it from accumulating various door dents and dings just above the protector. And we were careful with where we parked it. So I don't really understand how the angled sheet metal is going to fare any worse than my parents old Intrepid.

I find on my Corolla some of the dings are hidden by the cars creased angles although they are certainly more subdued than on this and other examples.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 12:15:54 am »
My parents old Intrepid had slightly more stylish protectors but that didn't stop it from accumulating various door dents and dings just above the protector. And we were careful with where we parked it. So I don't really understand how the angled sheet metal is going to fare any worse than my parents old Intrepid.

I find on my Corolla some of the dings are hidden by the cars creased angles although they are certainly more subdued than on this and other examples.

It's physics. If a flat door is hit by another car's opening door, the impact will spread along a few inches of the contact. If the same door hits an angled crease of metal then the impact is applied to a few millimeters of the contact area. I will avoid such design innovations if I can.