Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 VW Touareg TDI Execline  (Read 13039 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Test Drive: 2011 VW Touareg TDI Execline
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »
Badge aside, Touareg exemplifies the difference between a common and luxury good (not exclusive, just luxurious). Everything about it - beyond just the features listed on the specs sheet - feels just that much more well designed and substantial/weighty, and for that the customer who appreciates such luxury pays. It's nice to see the buying public responding favourably to the new model, which although premium/luxury priced does offer solid value versus other players in the class. It's not something I'd buy unless I did a lot of towing or similar, but must say the more of them I see, the more I like it. Just hope the reliability has improved!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:19:11 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »
Badge aside, Touareg exemplifies the difference between a common and luxury good (not exclusive, just luxurious). Everything about it - beyond just the features listed on the specs sheet - feels just that much more well designed and substantial/weighty, and for that the customer who appreciates such luxury pays. It's nice to see the buying public responding favourably to the new model, which although premium/luxury priced does offer solid value versus other players in the class. It's not something I'd buy unless I did a lot of towing or similar, but must say the more of them I see, the more I like it. Just hope the reliability has improved!

I just question what the T- Reg is. I will keep it to 2 row SUVs

For those who want luxury and the experience = Lexus RX
For those that offroad capability= 4Runner / Lexus GX or the Jeep Grand Cherokee
For those that want a badge = BMW X5/Audi Q5/Mercedes ML

For those that want to tow= I dunno but it ain't the T - Reg. I have never witnessed anyone towing anything.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:11 pm »

I just question what the T- Reg is. I will keep it to 2 row SUVs

For those who want luxury and the experience = Lexus RX
For those that offroad capability= 4Runner / Lexus GX or the Jeep Grand Cherokee
For those that want a badge = BMW X5/Audi Q5/Mercedes ML

For those that want to tow= I dunno but it ain't the T - Reg. I have never witnessed anyone towing anything.

Good points, I think the VW falls somewhere in between. It's luxurious but it still has a sporting, Germanic character. It's quick enough but gets good mileage. It doesn't have a big brand cache but it looks as good as the more expensive competition. I'm just guessing here, I'm not a buyer or owner, but I think it falls into the middle ground. It offers a lot of what people want without getting too much of any one thing.

The Lexus is boring, the purist off-road SUV's often compromise ride/handling, and some don't like the associations that come with luxury brand names. The Touareg fits in between.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 10:44:23 pm »
It offers a lot of what people want without getting too much of any one thing.

The Lexus is boring, the purist off-road SUV's often compromise ride/handling, and some don't like the associations that come with luxury brand names. The Touareg fits in between.

i would agree...i don't think the Toureg likely excels at any one thing, but the sum of its scores makes it a nice vehicle...it looks good, is reasonably fuel effecient and is well equipped...of course, if you don't mind spending a bit more, the Porsche Cayenne isn't too much further up the ladder. :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

vdk

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:20 am »
T-Regs are good offroaders from what I know. Also come nicely equipped, I would call that luxurious. As for badge snobbery, I guess VW trumps Toyota and Jeep, but not Benz, BMW, Audi.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »
T-Regs are good offroaders from what I know. Also come nicely equipped, I would call that luxurious. As for badge snobbery, I guess VW trumps Toyota and Jeep, but not Benz, BMW, Audi.

T-Regs used to be good off roaders. They got rid of the adjustable air suspension, differential locker, and low speed transfer case. The new one disposed of all of this and I can't really blame VW as I have never seen one off-road.  Any reviews on how the new T-Reg handles on-road vs the old air-equipped V8 version? I test drove the old version and was mightly impressed by the on-road handling and performance (V8).

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »

T-Regs used to be good off roaders. They got rid of the adjustable air suspension, differential locker, and low speed transfer case. The new one disposed of all of this and I can't really blame VW as I have never seen one off-road.  Any reviews on how the new T-Reg handles on-road vs the old air-equipped V8 version? I test drove the old version and was mightly impressed by the on-road handling and performance (V8).

I guess VW realized how few of its intended buyers actually WENT off-road, what is the statistic like 5% of SUV's see real off-road environments? I'm not knocking those who choose to buy them, but if the T-reg did in fact gain some on-road manners at the expense of a bit of off-road capability (and 400 lbs weight savings!), I think this is a transition many owners can comfortably warm up to.

PS - the new T-reg isn't THAT bad in the dirt...

http://youtu.be/lerlY-5K_OE

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »

I guess VW realized how few of its intended buyers actually WENT off-road, what is the statistic like 5% of SUV's see real off-road environments? I'm not knocking those who choose to buy them, but if the T-reg did in fact gain some on-road manners at the expense of a bit of off-road capability (and 400 lbs weight savings!), I think this is a transition many owners can comfortably warm up to.

PS - the new T-reg isn't THAT bad in the dirt...

http://youtu.be/lerlY-5K_OE
[/quote]

Enough to get one over the parking block at the mall I suppose. For the $60k ish of the T-Reg. I would take a basic Jeep Unlimited for $26k and spend the rest on a nice used Mustang or street bike....

Offline kirm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:54 pm »
Ah, Volkswagen! The Apple of the computer world. Overpriced and proud of it.  ;D