Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Scion tC  (Read 13930 times)

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Scion tC
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2011, 11:41:04 am »
The Civic Si makes all it's power at peak RPMs and has no torque. If I was choosing a track-day car it would most definitely be the Si, but around town I'd rather not hear my engine screaming all the time. In reviews I've read the additional torque provided by the big 2.5 pays dividends in around town, although I have yet to actually drive this car. The one thing that can't be questioned about the Si is the flawless short-throw 6-speed manual, a standout in the industry. If you want more luxury with your Si, you can also look to Acura for the CSX Type-S, which shares the engine.

Someone mentioned the Kia - the 2.4L 'SX' actually starts at $2K MORE than the Tc, and I find the Tc actually looks better and certainly has more aftermarket parts available if that's your thing.

The Tc isn't for everyone, but at a price point where it's competing with much more boring transportation, it offers something interesting for those on a budget who still want a little performance with their purchase.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 02:00:27 pm »
If your looking for a great manual shifting experience look elsewhere than Toyota.  Their thing is automatics and the base Scion tC in auto offers a fantastic value if you're looking for an upscale econobox.  9 out of 10 of these units will be going out the door in auto. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:36 pm »
You know, if this car had been around when I bought my Civic SI 3 years ago, I might have had a different car.

Equipment levels look comparable, performance doesn't seem to be much different (although the surely the Scion doesn't have the addictive 8k redline and 4500RPM VTEC changeover).  And to be frank, I don't seem to mind the styling one bit.  A little bit chunky, but I kind of like it.  It's very 'girl next door' if you ask me.

And the best part about it?  The Price.  I just built one up on their website.  Include heated leather seating, upgraded Alpine stereo, and TRD sport exhaust, and it maxed out at about $23.5k.  That's 4k LESS than a Civic SI.  And remember, the Civic SI does NOT come with heated leather. 

The hatch (it actually looks more like a notchback to me) would cinch the deal for me.  I mountain bike, and anything that makes putting a disassembled bike in the back of my car easier is a big selling point (and one of the reasons why I got rid of the Civic).

Oh, if only my truck was paid for....I'd be getting a new daily driver.

Offline [ EMT ]

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 02:11:19 pm »
 :iagree:

This car reminds me of my 83" Corolla SR5...I hope this is just as light and nimble as my old car...but maybe not. Maybe this thing has a wider stance.  I think mine has only 130hp...two-tone silver and blue. I miss that car. :'(

The hatch styling cues are from the late 70's SR5 corolla's as well...which isn't a bad thing. Someone mentioned above that the manual transmission shifting is not great... Mine was, compared to my friends Mercury Capri. The shifting on the Capri was like rowing a canoe.  ;D

I am interested enough to check it out as soon as I know where the Scion dealerships are here in AB.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2011, 08:06:36 pm »
I went on a wave of test drives this week (12 cars total), and this was one of them. It was very fun to drive, although it was quite unrefined (alot of wind and road noise). I could even hear the water swish in the wheel wells! Interior quality was poor also - the door panels would show dirt if you rubbed your fingers on them. Steering and corning were excellent though (not your typical Toyota), and acceleration from the 2.5L engine was adequate enough. Standard equipment was phenomenal for the base price of $20,850. Would I recommend this car as a "sporty" coupe? For the price, definitely.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:09:13 pm by 2hondas1BMW »