Author Topic: What are YOUR Deal Breakers?  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What are YOUR Deal Breakers?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2011, 11:00:16 am »
God you people are picky. Spock, why do you need a full size spare? That would rule you out of virtually every fun car out there.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2011, 11:07:43 am »
God you people are picky. Spock, why do you need a full size spare? That would rule you out of virtually every fun car out there.

Some have no spare, period - like the Sienna AWD.  No room for a spare, so they use run flat tires.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2011, 11:12:15 am »

Some have no spare, period - like the Sienna AWD.  No room for a spare, so they use run flat tires.

Exactly, like the Z4 and the Exige I had.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2011, 11:23:44 am »
The only place I need / want a full size spare is on a pick up or large van

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2011, 11:32:35 am »

Run-flats would be a deal breaker for me.  I'd rather just have a can of slime and take my chances.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:34 am »

Run-flats would be a deal breaker for me.  I'd rather just have a can of slime and take my chances.

But in that case a dealer probably would swap out the tires for you
Could you drive on the rims until you got to work to pick up a pair  ???  :rofl:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2011, 01:23:36 pm »

My GTI has the optional 18" wheels but the spare is a "full size" 16"  which has a Golf 2.5  205-55/16 proper tire.  This way of doing a spare works for me. My 330 had a full size 17" spare as well.   I would consider runflats a minor deal breaker In Canada with the distances but in Europe I wouldn't mind them.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2011, 01:26:01 pm »
When I think about spares, I think:  when was the last time I had a flat?

I'm thinking about 8 years ago.

I'd venture that the vast majority of spares never get used.  Tires and roads are so much better these days.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »
When I think about spares, I think:  when was the last time I had a flat?

I'm thinking about 8 years ago.

I'd venture that the vast majority of spares never get used.  Tires and roads are so much better these days.

They come it batches I tell you.

Last year both sets of the Volvo V70R picked up unrepairable nail punctures. This year the G8 took a large screw that Fubared the tire.

A few years back I had a new Michelin LTX M/S turck tire shred on the freeway after it tangled with a small section of barbed wire.  The spare saved my a$$ that day.  The G8 comes with a can of tire sealant and a compressor. No spare, no run flats.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2011, 02:22:03 pm »

I found it convenient to have a full sized spare.  I could drive at higher speeds on my daily highway commute and take my sweet time getting the flat fixed. 

New housing still going up in my area--good source of nails, dry wall screws, and tire grief. 

I suppose I could buy a full size rim and tire and toss it in the fun car's boot if I must.  :)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »
I didn't realize until yesterday how important a telescopic steering wheel is for me these days.  The Jukes doesn't do this and is way to far forward for me

No telescopic steering in the Juke?? Surprising.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2011, 03:25:10 pm »

I found it convenient to have a full sized spare.  I could drive at higher speeds on my daily highway commute and take my sweet time getting the flat fixed. 

New housing still going up in my area--good source of nails, dry wall screws, and tire grief. 

I suppose I could buy a full size rim and tire and toss it in the fun car's boot if I must.  :)

So the fact that you couldn't just use a space-saver spare for a day and get the flat fixed quicker would be a deal breaker on a car...  ??? ::)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2011, 06:13:00 pm »
My "mountain trip" vehicle must have a full size spare.  I've had a couple occasions where that thing saved our bacon.  I chucked the mini spare from the Corolla and put in a full size wheel/tire.  If there's room, why not use it?  I wouldn't use a Lotus to haul a bunch of climbers and gear up a logging road.  (Or would I?)

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »
My deal breakers 1) Must be manual 2) 4 doors.

I once leased a Volvo xc70 that was a manumatic.  I used the manumatic for about 1 month and then regretted the buying the car for the next 35 months.  Never, never again.

I have four kids so four doors are a must.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2011, 09:01:45 pm »

:iagree:

Run flats make for a horrible experience on a performance car.  A can of slime is your friend.

How many times has a tire actually let go while your driving  ???   Never for me and my life has been primarily about driving.

Most tire problems are slow flats.  Your driving along, the front tire runs over a nail that is ALWAYS lying on it's side and it gets flipped up in the air and the rear tire nails it straight up.  Even still, it's still acting as a slow leaking plug.  Generally, you come out in the morning and it's flat, but it will still hold air.

Many used cars are sold with "slimed" tires.  It works well.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2011, 10:10:30 pm »

I don't think I even have a slime-tube in the Z4 (non RFTs).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:46 am »
My "mountain trip" vehicle must have a full size spare.  I've had a couple occasions where that thing saved our bacon.  I chucked the mini spare from the Corolla and put in a full size wheel/tire.  If there's room, why not use it?  I wouldn't use a Lotus to haul a bunch of climbers and gear up a logging road.  (Or would I?)

I agree. Any AWD vehicle should have a full sizer, otherwise the fancy AWD may not work so well. In Northern Sask I carried two full spares with the Dakota. Only used 1.