Author Topic: Cornering lamps  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Cornering lamps
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:43 am »
One thing that drives me crazy are the Chryslers where the headlight turns off when the signal light is on. 

I'm sure that was never intended.  Just shorts within the electrical system, I'm sure.

Nope, it is meant to be there.  Like sirAQUAMAN64 said, Chrysler designed it so oncoming traffic (and traffic in a car's rearview mirror) can see the turn signal is on.  It is only when the DRL's are on.  It is a bit annoying as I think people are highbeaming me on cloudy days.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:46:00 am »
I have this on my '00 SAAB, the fog light comes on with the blinker (actually it is a separate bulb in the same housing).
I drive to work out of town before sunrise, I find it very useful. Rural roads on dark mornings are also a good place to use SAAB's "Night panel" feature.

My Pontiac G8 has a night panel feature. I haven't seen one for years. Aussies must do a lot of dark rural driving.

The LR3 doesn't have cornering lamps per se but it does swivel the headlights ala Tucker to point in direction of the turn.

What do you mean by "night panel"?

In addition to the traditional rheostat I can switch off all interior lights except for the speedo which is lit very dim. Perfect for dark rural driving.

Oh I see.  My Lexus has auto dimming of the gauges.  The dash varies in brightness automatically based on exterior light brightness. 

My Pontiac is no Lexus. ;D

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:47:34 am »
The only issue I have with the cornering front fog light on my Golf when waiting to turn left at lights, is that it's gives the impression to an uninitiated observer that, in keeping with VW's glorious electrical gremlin traditions, my other fog light has burnt out.