Author Topic: Theory on why the next Honda Civic will be a winner .  (Read 17075 times)

kicker

Re: Theory on why the next Honda Civic will be a winner .
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:07 pm »
I wasn't quite sure who would make to market first with d.i.- Ford or Hyundai . ( compact )
I haven't followed the Focus and basically slips my mind because I don't like the body , preferring the euro body much more .
So I can believe you if it makes it to market first .
If it was the euro model coming here I would have shown more interest .

I really love the 250 hp ecoboost engine alot though  . Its a great engine , though not as powerful as the sonata turbo , its engine is simply way more refined , simply a great torquey engine I would love to have .

I've known about d.i. for years . mostly higher end cars though , came across this list of d.i. cars last year . But had forgotten most of them because wasn't what I was looking for .
This is the d.i. list I saw back then .
http://wrmag.nextautos.com/issue/49/111

I think the intial perception was that the CRZ was going to compete with the Veloster . But nobody believes that now . The Veloster will simply way out perform the CRZ in every category. They are in different categories and an unfair comparison .

The Civic coupe , with its tweaked suspension over the stock Civic will give the Veloster a fair enough challenge .

The new Civic si , if they make one , against the turbo Velostar is a different matter . The torque will come on sooner in the Veloster and give it the advantage over the si coupe ( in my opinion ) .

When Honda ditches the hybrid engine in the CRZ , thats when things get really interesting (type r or si) .
They have too , after putting all that doe into it and have it flop as a hybrid .

I can count on the turbo Veloster to be my cup of tea , but not a Civic si or CRZ si because it still might run on premium .

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 12:35:59 am »

I wasn't quite sure who would make to market first with d.i.- Ford or Hyundai . ( compact )
I haven't followed the Focus and basically slips my mind because I don't like the body , preferring the euro body much more .
So I can believe you if it makes it to market first .
If it was the euro model coming here I would have shown more interest .

Wut? :think:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

kicker

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 01:36:08 am »
Sir Osis of Liver  -- Its the profile shot I don't like . Like in this pic here .

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto_shows/detroit/2010/2012_ford_focus/27760762+pheader/2012-ford-focus-driver-side.jpg

This is the one I prefer .

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2010-ford-focus-rs-european-edition_100182275_l.jpg

You aren't comparing apples to apples then. The Focus RS has a bunch of body modifications to it and is a 3 door only. The RS likely won't make it here, but the ST will.

Mitlov

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 01:39:55 am »
The new Focus RS is nicest from the rear.  Love the exhaust and the lower bodywork:

Kicker, for 2012, Europe and US have the same Focus.  You're pining for the outgoing European Focus, not the new one, which is the same as the new North American Focus.

kicker

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 01:44:02 am »
that looks better , but i prefer a coupe to a 4 door , like this , in this color too .

Not in that arrest me green color .

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/ford_focus_rs_concept_2.jpg

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2010, 01:50:08 am »
that looks better , but i prefer a coupe to a 4 door , like this , in this color too .

Not in that arrest me green color .

It's getting more difficult to get that style of two door hatch to pass side impact standards. It's part of the reason the previous three door Focus had worse side impact ratings than the 5 door or sedan. They can use shorter doors, but that makes rear access more difficult, or they can add door beams, but that adds weight.

kicker

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 04:49:32 am »
I can understand that , makes sense , but coupes are still made and sold . If something like the 2 door Yaris (light weight) can pass , I don't see why Ford can't do it .

added

It's a shame they don't make a coupe version of the new one . The RS looks good in that shot , but would still suffer in a profile shot .

I much prefer the looks of a coupe , but 4 doors are better . As Sir Osis of Liver  pointed out the coupes doors are longer . This is a drawback in tight parking lots , getting out over a short door . Much easier to hit someone elses door with yours in coupes .
Also , you can add groceries to the back seats if you like, much easier to do in a 4 door .

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 10:06:11 am by kicker »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2010, 10:42:30 am »
Wasn't it strongly rumored that we'd see a Focus coupe in Detroit in a couple of weeks alongside a hybrid and an electric only version?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 03:17:42 pm »
"arrest me GREEN"..... ::) :P..........they finally nailed tha GREENPEACE bastards..... :thumbup: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :winner:...

Q?  How would the Civic, Canadas' girl next door love affair dwindle......
 A.... When a HOT NEW chic car shows up..............and they are being manufactured right NOW @ a artificial robot insemination plant.... :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

kicker

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2010, 05:31:41 pm »
Ha,ha,ha . You crack me up sometimes safristi
I often wonder when seeing your posts if you did alot of drugs when young or watched alot of cartoons .
No offence , I find you quite entertaining sometimes .
(alot of us did that when young )

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 07:09:59 pm »
well if i had done a lot of drugs  how would i be sharper than a grade 1's pencil...........didn't see TV till 15...brought up in Africa....only cartoons were in the comic books there.............I'm JUST extra smart and funny with it..... :bang: :shuffle:........................blame it on the Goons and BBC's other funny radio shows....then Michael Bentine precursor of the Python shagfest........gotta go now nurse ratchett has my meds........swimming in a nice single malt............... ::) :P.....

kicker

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »
ha,ha, you certainly are sometimes .
Your dating yourself with that Nurse Rachet line . Good movie .

kicker

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2011, 01:20:00 am »
back to Honda . Mitlov check this out .

Honda so excited about winning Japan Car of the Year that CR-Z gets special edition

PRETTY IN BLUE
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/01/honda-so-excited-about-winning-japan-car-of-the-year-that-cr-z-g/

Mitlov

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2011, 02:43:03 am »
back to Honda . Mitlov check this out .

Honda so excited about winning Japan Car of the Year that CR-Z gets special edition

PRETTY IN BLUE
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/01/honda-so-excited-about-winning-japan-car-of-the-year-that-cr-z-g/

Yeah, I saw that on Autoblog.  Proof that tastes vary a LOT from country to country.

kicker

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 06:12:34 am »
Did you see this headline too ?

Toyota tallies most NHTSA complaints in 2010, Honda, Ford have fewest

richink

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:33 am »
IMO all they'd have to do is bring over the Euro Civic Hatch (Type R or otherwise) and it would be an improvement and would sell.

As an EP Civic owner (2004 - the best year for NA versions) I can tell you a few things about them.

Fantastic car - we are at 213,000 km and nary a peep out of it. Love the timing chain set up (no belt to replace), a/c compressor and a fuel pressure sensor have been the only parts into it outside of regular stuff like brakes, tires, plugs, filters, etc... Rip snorting handling and the iVTEC engine is a rev-happy joypal.

Honda kinda missed the boat with the SiR's. They were somewhat overpriced at the time ($25,000) and under equipped with the 160 hp K20A2 engine and a 5 speed instead of the 200hp & 6 speed units found in all other markets. At the end they were lot fillers that the dealers gave away, we got ours for over $3500 off the sticker price PLUS a zero interest deal, both not typical Honda sales tactics.

A well known UK TV show called Top Gear (yes I am being sarcastic) actually compared the old vs. "new" version of the SiR and found that the old version was faster, better handling and nicer to look at.

Guess this all bodes well for when it comes time to sell it, if there is anything left to sell of it  ;D