Author Topic: Anyone stilling buying books in a bookstore?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Re: Anyone stilling buying books in a bookstore?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 11:10:01 am »
The closest I've come to an e-reader is my iPhone, which I'm using to enter this reply.  It's not bad for reading books but not great either.

I do agree that e-readers are the future and at some point I will get one myself. There are more basic issues however.

1:   How much do you read now vs when you were a kid?  I have a nice collection of half finished and unopened books on my nightstand.  Is it worth the money to have the same problem electronically when I can't finish what I've got now?

2:   What about libraries for the ones that aren't keepers?

I do a fair bit of traveling, so it makes a lot of sense for me.  As for libraries, here in BC most if not all of the libraries are on a provincial e-book lender system.  Currently it does not support Kindle but does support e-pub and a couple of other formats.  And just like any library, they have limited copies, so you may have to go on a waiting list.  A borrowed book stays on you e-reader for 2 weeks, then disappears so it can be made available for someone else.  No worries about late returns  :D
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
Wow!  I think this is the most responses to anything I've ever posted.

I've had a Kindle for about 13 months now and have bought about 60 books for it. Broadly they fall into two categories. The first (and largest) are books I discovered on Amazon and decided to try because they were cheap. Some were good enough that I went back and bought all of that author's books. Some weren't so great but they didn't cost me much (usually under $5). All in all it's a great way to find new authors.

The second is for new releases form authors I really like and don't want to wait for.. If it's not in stock at my local store on the release date I download it instantly from Amazon. The even have a feature where you can pre-order and it will download automatically at midnight on the release date. I figure I can always get a hardback copy for my collection from the $7.99 sale table in a year or two.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

link2009

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »
A person who reads a lot and enjoys it will

1) prefer to have a book in their hand
2) Want a book in their hand because they want to smell it
3) May have an electric device for reading but will prefer the old fashion way

In short, Yes is the answer. lol

I definitely agree with this. There's just something about holding a nice book in your hand, only to have it as a reference later...