Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Nissan Juke  (Read 52921 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: First Drive: 2011 Nissan Juke
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »
Pity. The Element was perhaps the only Japanese car I might have bought for myself...  not quite...I suppose a NSX, S2000 or maybe a WRX STI.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »
We love our Element.  While marketed at outdoorsy young 20-somethings, I think it's best suited to being the family hauler for a family with young children.  The rear suicide doors (and the pillarless space you get when all doors are open) is great for loading kids in, and the wipe-clean interior (rubber floor, waterproof fabric on the seats) is a blessing when everything from apple juice to vomit starts flying.

I wouldn't say I love the Juke's styling, but I appreciate its originality, and it doesn't offend my sensibilities.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »
We love our Element.  While marketed at outdoorsy young 20-somethings, I think it's best suited to being the family hauler for a family with young children.  The rear suicide doors (and the pillarless space you get when all doors are open) is great for loading kids in, and the wipe-clean interior (rubber floor, waterproof fabric on the seats) is a blessing when everything from apple juice to vomit starts flying.

We looked at the Element when it came out 5-6 years ago... my main problem with it was the rear seats. 4 seatbelts just wasn't enough for what we wanted, and that makes the Element an impractical family hauler. Another problem was the rear seats being really close to the floor, making them unconfortable for any average-height adult. I really think those rear seats played a major role in the Element not catching on more than it did.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »
We wanted an Element when it first came out, but were shocked at the price.

Mitlov

« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2010, 03:05:49 pm »
We looked at the Element when it came out 5-6 years ago... my main problem with it was the rear seats. 4 seatbelts just wasn't enough for what we wanted, and that makes the Element an impractical family hauler. Another problem was the rear seats being really close to the floor, making them unconfortable for any average-height adult. I really think those rear seats played a major role in the Element not catching on more than it did.

I find most rear-center seats unusable when you have a big Britax child seat on each side, so we didn't miss it.

We never really tried the rear seat for adults, as it'll have children in it essentially all the time.

Yeah, from what I heard, it was really overpriced in Canada.  Pricing was much more sensible in the US.  We got ours--a fully-loaded EX AWD model--new for about $23,000 out-the-door.  The Element has done pretty well down here--I see them everywhere I go--and I suspect the price difference has a lot to do with that.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2010, 03:40:09 pm »

I find most rear-center seats unusable when you have a big Britax child seat on each side, so we didn't miss it.

We never really tried the rear seat for adults, as it'll have children in it essentially all the time.

See, that's another great thing about the Radian baby seats we bought, they're not as wide as the Britax seats. Two adults can fit reasonably comfortably next to the baby seat in the Sonata. You can apparently fit 3 Radian seats next to each other while you usually can't for other seats.

And also, we quite often have adults with us, either my parents or my in-laws... being able to sit adults in the rear seats of our vehicles is always a must for us.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2010, 06:43:39 pm »
Yeah, from what I heard, it was really overpriced in Canada.  Pricing was much more sensible in the US.  We got ours--a fully-loaded EX AWD model--new for about $23,000 out-the-door.  The Element has done pretty well down here--I see them everywhere I go--and I suspect the price difference has a lot to do with that.
yup...the EX AWD model is just over $38,200 taxes included...you can almost get 2 Kia Soul's for that money.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »

Yup. We looked at one, but it just didn't make sense financially.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

mykijiji

« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2010, 01:44:51 pm »
Juke Wipers - a design flaw! Hello Nissan! Hello Transport Canada?

Now that winter is upon us, we all take for granted the ability to lift the wipers completely off he windshield in order to clean out the snow & ice. We all give our wipers a few hard taps, right?

Well, your out of luck with a Juke's wipers! Even after opening the hood, only the driver's side wiper can be fully lifted off.

IMHO, this represents a hazard.

Does anyone know whether Nissan will be issuing a recall for a retrofit? I wonder whether Transport Canada is aware of the problem.

Methinks a well placed call from an automotive journalist would definitely have greater impact than from some schmo who's in the market for a reasonably priced vehicle.

vdk

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »
Juke Wipers - a design flaw! Hello Nissan! Hello Transport Canada?

Now that winter is upon us, we all take for granted the ability to lift the wipers completely off he windshield in order to clean out the snow & ice. We all give our wipers a few hard taps, right?

Well, your out of luck with a Juke's wipers! Even after opening the hood, only the driver's side wiper can be fully lifted off.

IMHO, this represents a hazard.

Does anyone know whether Nissan will be issuing a recall for a retrofit? I wonder whether Transport Canada is aware of the problem.

Methinks a well placed call from an automotive journalist would definitely have greater impact than from some schmo who's in the market for a reasonably priced vehicle.

Maybe this will help.

Skip to 0:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06ePpp_fII

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2010, 02:51:29 pm »

Maybe this will help.

Oh that helps a lot!  I didn't skip anything.   ;D

vdk

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

Maybe this will help.

Oh that helps a lot!  I didn't skip anything.   ;D

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Yeah, hot wipers!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2010, 04:23:22 pm »
..But mein Fraulein dit not show up fer werk today....... ::) :P.....BITTER eh!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »
So what if it is freezing raining and they whole car is encased in ice. Can you get to the wipers with your scraper?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:31:16 pm by Zombie »
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

vdk

« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2010, 05:28:26 pm »
So what if it is freezing raining and they whole car is in cased in ice. Can you get to the wipers with your scraper?

No chance  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Phillipee

Re: Nissan Juke Wiper Blades
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2010, 12:18:51 pm »
Dude, quit posting the same old wrong information all over the interweb.   ???  This is the third post I've found from you an it's wrong. 

You can easily move the wipers to a place where they can be lifted off the windshield.  Press the wiper stalk for about 1 second after you turn off the car... Voila... Magically the wipers move to the sweet spot.  No need to lift the hood  :rofl: 

This information IS in the manual and you probably would have found it... if you read it... but I think you decided to waste your time complaining.  I am surprised you can turn on the car with that fancy push button instead of keys...