Author Topic: Honda Civic only nets two stars on revamped NHTSA side impact test  (Read 14377 times)

Mitlov

Re: Honda Civic only nets two stars on revamped NHTSA side impact test
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »
I dunno.  Most of the couple I know when they go out together, the guy drives.  It's like that for us.  Is it not like that for you, or does your wife do the driving when your family goes out?

My wife does most of the driving when we're out together; I'm in charge of turning around (when it's safe to do so) to retrieve toys, chastise misbehavior, etc.  I don't get carsick and she does, so those roles work best for us. 

With my parents, it's probably split 50/50.  Neither is the default driver whenever they're out together.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
When my wife and I are together, 80% of the time I'm driving. When my wife has the car though, 100% of the time she's driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 05:30:58 pm »
I dunno.  Most of the couple I know when they go out together, the guy drives.  It's like that for us.  Is it not like that for you, or does your wife do the driving when your family goes out?

My wife does most of the driving when we're out together; I'm in charge of turning around (when it's safe to do so) to retrieve toys, chastise misbehavior, etc.  I don't get carsick and she does, so those roles work best for us. 

With my parents, it's probably split 50/50.  Neither is the default driver whenever they're out together.

Interesting.  This might be poll worthy.  The only time IQ drives is when we take her car out instead of mine.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 05:36:00 pm »
When my wife has the car though, 100% of the time she's driving.

This is an interesting (and critical) point.  I feel silly for not seeing it earlier.  Setting aside the issue of who drives when a couple is out together, women obviously spend a ton of time driving themselves around in 21st society, just as men do.  So that raises a question: is the safety for a man really significantly different than the safety for a woman?

If the safety issues are not different, why have gendered dummies at all?

If the safety issues are different, why does the NHTSA test never check how women will fare in the driver's seat?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 05:46:28 pm »
lol I meant the 100% of the time part to be a joke, but I guess it is serious too. How detailed do we go in though? What about super skinny or obese people? Are they more or less likely to get injured in an accident or get different types of injuries? I wonder if they did a test with male and female on the same car what kind of results would come out?

I'm watching side impact tests for safer cars like Subaru Outbacks and perceived safer cars like Ford Explorer... it all looks painful to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »
I suspect the weights of the dummies, regardless of gender probably fall within an accepted level for either sex.  Therefore the data from the "male" dummy likely applies to the female population.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:59:00 pm by rrocket »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:40 pm »
Seconded.

In other news, you know what I think is odd about the new NHTSA crash tests?  That, without exception, for frontal impact tests, the "male" is in the driver's seat and the "female" in the passengers, and for side impact, without exception, the "male" is in the front seat and the "female" is in the back.  What is this, 1955?

Maybe less airbag impact force on the female dummy if she is in the passenger seat.  She doesn't have to sit so close to the steering wheel if she is of small stature.

I have an old Honda so I have to drive defensively and watch out for things like red light runners.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »

I'm watching side impact tests for safer cars like Subaru Outbacks and perceived safer cars like Ford Explorer... it all looks painful to me.

Is the Subaru Outback (or Legacy) "safer"?  Safer than an old Civic yes, but not safer than a little tiny Fiesta. Something to think about and (re)consider when it comes to the safety of the modern cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 07:23:57 pm »

Is the Subaru Outback (or Legacy) "safer"?  Safer than an old Civic yes, but not safer than a little tiny Fiesta. Something to think about and (re)consider when it comes to the safety of the modern cars.

TBH, I wouldn't want to be in a side collision in ANY car....(even if the car is 5 star rated, and mine is)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:26:30 pm by rrocket »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »

TBH, I wouldn't want to be in a side collision in ANY car....(even if the car is 5 star rated, and mine is)

True, but just pointing that out...