Author Topic: Subaru to issue TSB for the new 2.5 motor  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Subaru to issue TSB for the new 2.5 motor
« on: December 09, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »
Teething problems with the new motor.  This was posted on the Forester web site:

Issue:
I've got an issue with my 2011 2.5X.
240 miles on it, and it's either got a vacuum or exhaust leak on the drivers side cylinder head. It can be heard at slight throttle or a slow decel, and when you shut the engine down there is a slight slurpie flappy noise like a gasket has died somewhere. It's heading to service tomorrow hopefully they will find it. We'll be putting dewey's service dept and warranty care to the test. Will report back how it goes.

The report back:
I got it back today at lunch. Dealer did hear the noise and contacted SOA.
SOA responded that there is a TSB in the works with a fix for timing chain noise that appears to be my problem.

SOA: Subaru of America, ie USA.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Subaru to issue TSB for the new 2.5 motor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:27:02 am »

SOA responded that there is a TSB in the works with a fix for timing chain noise that appears to be my problem.

Stupid timing chains,  guess they should have stuck with belts. ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:23:33 am »
Yeah SOA - make it right.  :bow: Countdown has already started to replace Legacy and the Forester has been deemed the chosen one.  ::)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:13:52 am »
Too bad Canadian Subaru dealers (with some rare exceptions) will ignore the TSB, instead blaming customers and do everything in their power to avoid repairing the problem unless the owner is paying.

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:57:20 pm »
johngenx:

They must have learned that from Chrysler: 

"It's supposed to do that"

"I've never heard this model dropping a tranny before"

"You should see how bad it is on the (insert other product here)"

"it's because you haven't been doing your maintenance here"

Why deny it?  Wouldn't they just submit the warrany claims to the manufacturer?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:12 pm »

Dealers don't make as much off warranty claims as they do from regular repairs, from what I understand.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »

Dealers don't make as much off warranty claims as they do from regular repairs, from what I understand.

Some do, some don't.  Mercedes pays full retail to the dealers for warranty work, and hence, dealers scour your car looking for things to fix.  I have to admit that MB's warranty service was superb.  Some makes force the dealers to take a reduced labour rate, and/or reduced parts cost.

I only had one minor repair on the Forester under it's warranty (a front O2 sensor) so I can't speak directly to their warranty service, but as most of my friends are Scoob owners, I have anecdotal evidence of the dealer being difficult with warranty issues.  Also, a TSB is not a mandatory order like a recall, it's simple advice on how to fix something.  If you're out of the warranty period, you pay, TSB or not.

Our Toyota dealer seems eager to perform warranty work, but then shows they are too lazy.  We had a small plastic bag somehow get sucked into the HVAC system on the Corolla.  The blower fan was working intermittently, so I took it in.  They kept the car for the day, operated the fan, found it working at THAT moment, and declared me stupid.  Did they open the fan and look?  No.

Finally, one cold day, the bag froze, and the fan got caught and seized.  Finally, they agreed it was not working properly, and took it apart.

Problem?  Lazy tech not willing to try to solve a problem.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:43:49 pm »
I hate how the techs have to be able to recreate a problem. If I tell the dealer that I've experienced it a few dozen times, THE PROBLEM EXISTS BECAUSE I'VE EXPERIENCED IT A FEW DOZEN TIMES!!! Then they're surprised and start sobbing like school girls because you yell at them. F**king do your work and I won't expose you as the school girl you are.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:24:29 am »
 When I was involved in the business Sub was OK to deal with re warranty although they didn't pay full retail for parts or labour. Hyundai was the nightmare....low labour rates,deeply discounted parts prices, low time allowances (strip a rusty bolt and good luck even covering your costs) and a coding system for submitting claims that seem designed to allow them to return claims for correction over and over until the time limit was up and they could deny payment. Mercedes was great. Their attitude was " fix the problem,make the customer happy and we'll pay you a reasonable sum for the job."

This was 15+ years ago so things may be different for dealers now.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.