Poll

Would you avoid buying a car if the transmission was a CVT?

yes
20 (40%)
no
21 (42%)
have not driven one and can't say
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: CVT Transmissions  (Read 12796 times)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: CVT Transmissions
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2010, 09:23:06 am »
I've driven a BMW New Mini with a CVT.  It didn't feel bad.  I am not sure I would get one in a new car.  I think I'd rather go with a manual and save $1500 or so for something else like nice rims. 

I think MINI gave up on the CVT in the last redesign because of reliability problems. I know our 09 has a 6 speed Aisan.

Not sure if reliability played a factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the feel of the CVT didn't match with a sporty little car.

Is the BMW/Mini a Jatco unit?  I'm curious - who else makes CVT's?

As well,  my experience with Aisan was my 2004 Saturn Ion that had the (then) 'wow' 5 speed auto in it.....then GM quietly dropped it two years later for their tried and true 4 speed auto. 

Fortune favours the bold!

levistar

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »
Jatco makes different CVT units - the better ones are used by Nissan vs those used by Dodge. :)
Got a link to support such a ignorant statement?

CatsEye68

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2010, 06:38:02 pm »
No, what I am saying is that you do NOT need to take the FOB out of your pocket as you claim in order to lock/unlock the doors or open the trunk.  You simply press a button on either front doors or the trunk to lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk.........all while your FOB is IN your pocket without even touching it.  

Ah, OK. The rental agent failed to advise of that in his 30-second walkaround. Might be useful when dealing with a non-intuitive system like that.

Isn't a system like this rather risky? If you are near or in the car, couldn't someone walk up and open the door even if they are locked? I'm just asking...

ironwood

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2010, 06:47:06 pm »
My wife drives a new Sentra with a CVT tran, and while I don't get behind the wheel too often, I quite like it.  I was hesitant on the CVT when we went shopping for her, but it's a great compact car.  I find it quite peppy despite the review below from 'Wheels'.  We drive up a monster hill to get home....as long an upgrade as you will find in central Ontario...if you can figure out where, and the Sentra CVT hauls us up the hills with out any difficulty.

CVT: PROS AND CONS
 Although I thoroughly enjoyed the CVT-equipped Altima Coupe 3.5 SR and Altima Sedan I recently road tested, in the Sentra you’re more aware of the unique characteristics of this type of transmission. In the V6 Altimas there’s more than enough torque on tap so that you rarely need to plant the gas pedal to the floor, resulting in the CVT holding the engine at maximum rpm until you ease off the gas. But in the less powerful Sentra, you have to work the 2-liter 4-banger hard when accelerating and merging with freeway traffic or when making a passing maneuver on a two-lane highway. This results in a sustained and strained high rpm scream from the engine, but on the other hand there’s no sudden downshifts like you hear and feel with a traditional automatic transmission. The transition from cruising to acceleration is therefore quicker and smoother with Nissan’s CVT and it should do a better job of optimizing fuel economy given its infinitely variable gear ratios and ability to perfectly match engine speed to driving conditions.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:15 pm »
No, what I am saying is that you do NOT need to take the FOB out of your pocket as you claim in order to lock/unlock the doors or open the trunk.  You simply press a button on either front doors or the trunk to lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk.........all while your FOB is IN your pocket without even touching it.  

Ah, OK. The rental agent failed to advise of that in his 30-second walkaround. Might be useful when dealing with a non-intuitive system like that.

Isn't a system like this rather risky? If you are near or in the car, couldn't someone walk up and open the door even if they are locked? I'm just asking...

I can't speak for all manufacturers, but the intelligent key on both my Infiniti and my Edge will not allow someone on the outside to lock/unlock the doors when the i-key is inside the cabin. It basically makes it so that you can't lock your i-key inside the car and also so that no one can unlock your doors if the i-key is inside the car.  I would assume that all manufacturers are like this.  
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »
My wife drives a new Sentra with a CVT tran, and while I don't get behind the wheel too often, I quite like it.  I was hesitant on the CVT when we went shopping for her, but it's a great compact car.  I find it quite peppy despite the review below from 'Wheels'.  We drive up a monster hill to get home....as long an upgrade as you will find in central Ontario...if you can figure out where, and the Sentra CVT hauls us up the hills with out any difficulty.

CVT: PROS AND CONS
 Although I thoroughly enjoyed the CVT-equipped Altima Coupe 3.5 SR and Altima Sedan I recently road tested, in the Sentra you’re more aware of the unique characteristics of this type of transmission. In the V6 Altimas there’s more than enough torque on tap so that you rarely need to plant the gas pedal to the floor, resulting in the CVT holding the engine at maximum rpm until you ease off the gas. But in the less powerful Sentra, you have to work the 2-liter 4-banger hard when accelerating and merging with freeway traffic or when making a passing maneuver on a two-lane highway. This results in a sustained and strained high rpm scream from the engine, but on the other hand there’s no sudden downshifts like you hear and feel with a traditional automatic transmission. The transition from cruising to acceleration is therefore quicker and smoother with Nissan’s CVT and it should do a better job of optimizing fuel economy given its infinitely variable gear ratios and ability to perfectly match engine speed to driving conditions.

As in many similar reviews, plain and simple, the reviewer is full of shite.  You simply cannot drive a CVT this way risking doing 160 when merging onto the highway. 

Katana

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 07:40:19 pm »
First CVT I drove was a Fiat Punto, 1.2litre, and whilst weird at first I soon got to like it. I've driven a few since, most recently Jeep Compass, and haven't been impressed.

Maybe CVTs are best suited to small (lightweight) low powered commuter cars? Or maybe that Punto showed how an underpowered (55hp) shopping trolley could be fun?