Author Topic: 2011 Infiniti M37S; Day 1  (Read 26381 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: 2011 Infiniti M37S; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
Hyundai expects to sell 100 Equus in Canada and only a handful of dealers will carry them.  They will not be on the lot in the showroom like a typical vehicle.  You will have to call Hyundai and have them come show you the car, it won't be crossshopped it's a very niche offering.
And they really expect to sell to the same demographic as high-end MB and BMW owners?! Do they give  away a miad and and a gardner with each one...and free pickup and delivery on your dry cleaning?
Railton

I don't know how many wealthy people you know - but of the few I know there's a good percentage that are major penny pinchers.

A well known luxury brand the Hyundai Equus is not - a hell of a deal the Equus is - my guess is that Hyundai hopes there's at least 100 of those folks out there.
Nope, don't know any. I live next to people that sell gloves and stuff like that.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2010, 09:34:18 am »
I am surprised by Hyundai's low sales projections for the Equus. It seems they're launching the car at the perfect time to take advantage of a new market niche: highly capable yet highly inconspicuous luxury cars. Not everyone wants to flaunt their wealth, especially in this economy. If I had the means and a long, boring, commute, I could see myself picking up an Equus, and save my flashy 911 GTS for the weekends. 8)

Roy

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:20 am »
Not everyone wants to flaunt their wealth, especially in this economy.

Actually in Canada (since the 100 sales data was provided for the Cdn market) the financial services sector is doing well, especially the banks.  And these folks LOVE to flaunt - it's what they do 24/7, its a game of one-up-manship with your clothes, style, what you do, where you work, what you drink, and most certainly what you drive.

But you are right, Hyundai I think is looking at a different market than being simply trendy.

Hyundai is taking a very innovative approach to this segment with a focus on service, which I can see appealing to many people.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2010, 10:37:53 am »
Not everyone wants to flaunt their wealth, especially in this economy.

Actually in Canada (since the 100 sales data was provided for the Cdn market) the financial services sector is doing well, especially the banks.  And these folks LOVE to flaunt - it's what they do 24/7, its a game of one-up-manship with your clothes, style, what you do, where you work, what you drink, and most certainly what you drive.

But you are right, Hyundai I think is looking at a different market than being simply trendy.

Hyundai is taking a very innovative approach to this segment with a focus on service, which I can see appealing to many people.

I agree, plenty of people want to and do flaunt it in this country, but there are plenty that don't - particularly those who work away from the financial services industry. You're right, if you're a Bay Street Big Swinging you-know-what, then it does make sense to "dress the part" and buy the S-class Merc.

On the other hand, if you're the boss at a company with a bottom-heavy and predominantly blue-collar organizational structure, then it is often preferable to fly a bit below the radar. I personally know a handful of people who represent this latter group - one of whom daily drives a 2004 Acura RL to work, but runs an SL 500 on the weekends.

Then, of course, there's the extreme, where Warren Buffet drives a lowly Lincoln Town Car. Of course, he also has a private jet :)

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2010, 12:31:42 pm »
I seem to recall them talking about the Equus on a car show and there was talk of Hyundai launching a premium brand in the near future (ie. 1-2 years).

They have to do some work to get there - even their high-end offerings carry over too much from the basic vehicles. It's not that the basic models aren't well constructed, but it just ruins the premium experience when your $55K luxo-sedan shares the same gauge pod (etc.) with a $20K hatchback.

See, I prefer to see it the other way around... the $20k hatchback gets parts from the $55k luxo-sedan!  ;)

But seriously, I'm not sure which parts your specifically talking about here...

That's a good point - trickle-down from higher tier cars is always a good thing for those with thinner wallets (like me!). I was simply referring to the fact that premium models should identify themselves as such by including unique interior elements that aren't shared through the model range. Improving base models is important, but if Hyundai wants to ask big bucks for new models I would anticipate that the buyers would be made to feel uniquely fortunate to own one.