Author Topic: There not been a single battery replacement due to wear and tear  (Read 989 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
There not been a single battery replacement due to wear and tear
« on: November 22, 2010, 07:50:10 pm »
Toyota claims there has not been a single battery replacement due to wear and tear in the US, where the Prius has been in sale since 2000.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/hybrid-battery-expenses-are-no-longer-hidden-costs-26784.html

Nice to know, but I was not worried about it

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
Re: There not been a single battery replacement due to wear and tear
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:57:14 pm »
I'd like to see a comparison between leases and actual ownership...

What is the used car market like for out of warranty hybrids?  Can you even buy a used Prius yet that has a battery that is out of warranty?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:58:38 pm »
I'd like to see a comparison between leases and actual ownership...

What is the used car market like for out of warranty hybrids?  Can you even buy a used Prius yet that has a battery that is out of warranty?

Cost for a new battery from Toyota is ~$2000.  Used prices for Prius are still quite high....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:45 pm »
Toyota claims there has not been a single battery replacement due to wear and tear in the US, where the Prius has been in sale since 2000.

I have to replace normal car batteries every few years.  Why aren't all car batteries made out of unobtanium that can go 250,000 miles (400,000 km) without ever wearing out?

And don't get me started on Apple laptop batteries, which tend to last just over 12 months...

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:37:09 am »
My Elantra GT will be 9 years old this week, still got the original battery.  (it's getting pretty soft though) :)

Sival

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »
The article actually mentioned one Prius battery replaced due to "wear and tear", but in Australia, not the USA (so Toyota's affirmation that they haven't replaced a battery yet in the USA is still right).

That Australian Prius was a taxi and it ran 550 000 Km before its voltage became so low it had to be replaced. 550 000 Km represents, what, about 25 years of ownership for an average owner? Looks like those worries were greatly exaggerated (mostly by the anti-hybrid crowd), I'd even say that a gas engine in a normal car will likely break sooner than a Prius' battery will give out. I also remember those who kept swearing up and down that hybrids' resale value would suck, even a few years ago. Nope, their value is still pretty damn strong, I think the Prius is even amongst the cars that keep their value the longest.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 03:46:41 pm »
The hybrid battery is different than a normal car battery, and comparing their lives is impossible.