Author Topic: For my Subaru brothers....  (Read 3690 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: For my Subaru brothers....
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 11:02:30 pm »

Head gaskets have long been a weak spot on boosted engines from most manufacturers, it's certainly hasn't been unheard of in Subaru's in the past. 

More than likely run big boost WITHOUT adding better head studs and gasket.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:30:09 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:39:42 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXJYc4CpXA&hd=1

Pastrana sets Mt. Washington Record.  O0

(using my car as they do the course notes!)
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:12 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXJYc4CpXA&hd=1

Pastrana sets Mt. Washington Record.  O0

(using my car as they do the course notes!)

Hmmmm....your car seemed alot slower...WTF??   :rofl2:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 12:20:58 pm »

And you believed this idiot?  Surely you watched the World Rally Championships when Subaru had a team, no?  They dominated for a while until other teams caught up to them.   Any motor, no matter the design or the configuration will fail if it is modified improperly by amateurs . 

Hey, I'm just telling what I'm seeing and hearing at the track this year.  The failures are not catastrophic, but seem to not be too unusual.  That said, there is a large sample of modded Subaru's being raced and $#!t happens. 
Head gaskets have long been a weak spot on boosted engines from most manufacturers, it's certainly hasn't been unheard of in Subaru's in the past. 

Update, the guy with the fast Impreza showed up to our last autocross yesterday and I asked if it was indeed a head-gasket that went on it earlier this year.  Turns out it was only a small leak in the rad and because of the nature of autocrossing ended up putting air in the system and it looked like a head gasket had gone.  He suspected head gasket as it's the usual breakdown.
He did say the main problems with the newer cars are broken piston ring-lands and cracked pistons, plus the occasional spun bearing.
Mr Pickypants