Author Topic: Steering You Right: Hit by an 18-wheeler  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: Hit by an 18-wheeler
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:04:03 am »
Even though he was only involved in a low-speed collision with minor vehicle damage and no injuries, the driver of an 18-wheeler who clipped another vehicle and drove away will be charged with hit-and-run, says lawyer, Jordan Charness.
Read More...

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Steering You Right: Hit by an 18-wheeler
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:57:41 am »
At least hard-luck Peter wasn't the one involved in this...

If Dov was hit by the truck and he hadn't moved, it makes me wonder how far he was sticking out of his lane...  I hope he had photos of that...

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:05:07 am »
I was a hit-and-run victim myself almost 2 years ago. I was driving 60km/h and a Honda Civic reversed out of a warehouse driveway and blocked both northbound lanes, I swerved into oncoming and moved back into the proper side to try to avoid hitting this car but I ended up hitting the car with the right side of mine. $5000 damage to my car.

The driver took off leaving his injured passenger there bleeding. I was angry and yelled at the passenger to identify who the driver is, he said he doesn't know and doesn't speak English. BS!!! The cops came and by some miracle he spoke English when the cop was requesting for a Tamil speaking police officer. He didn't cooperate either with police so they charged him with obstruction of justice.

I took plenty of pictures of the vehicle with the plates on them and of the accident scene.

In the end, my car was fixed, my physiotherapy took 3-4 months because I couldn't walk properly. I stayed on long term disability since I couldn't work because of the pain. The owner of the vehicle (19 years old) instead was charged with fleeing the scene of an accident and driving without insurance. He was convicted on all charges since he didn't even show up for court. My insurance company sued him and now has a judgement on him for $30,000 ($5000 for car damages, $25,000 for medical bills). He can't renew his license until it's paid, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still driving illegally.

Ah, the lovely justice system. They should've just threw him behind bars and tossed the keys. Driving without valid insurance should be at least 1 year in prison.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:07:54 am by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

kirm

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »
Yeah, good luck with that "hit and run" charge. I was with people that had a woman back into them and then leave. The husband came out of the house and argued with us for a while and the people I was with didn't want to make a fuss because the damage was light. When I phoned the cops to ask about out I was told they would not charge the woman for hit and run as it was a waste of their time. I've actually been involved in similar incidents since and the cops can't be bothered with hit and run charges from my experience. One important caveat is for injuries or major/public damage.

Anyway, in this case the driver didn't run, he got out of his truck and checked for damage. What was the kid doing? Just sitting in his SUV waiting for whatever would happen next? If he didn't approach the driver and the driver didn't have any damage and didn't see any on the SUV how did he "hit and run". Ain't going to hold up but trust a lawyer to make a major case out of it.