34 (47.9%)
Premium
33 (46.5%)
Diesel
2 (2.8%)
Other - elaborate
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: What Fuel Type Are You  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
Re: What Fuel Type Are You
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »
I also use 91 in the lawnmower and snowblower as there is no ethanol in Shell's 91.   

Interesting. Does ethanol eat the plastic or something?

Apparently long term storage of ethanol enhanced fuels attracts water in a greater way than (pure) gasoline, and it is more corrosive than gasoline.   The additional water also adds fuel (pun intended) to the corrosion process.   It probably does not make a huge difference in corrosion...

Also, whenever I fuel up the jerry-can, I'm usually driving the TL, buying 91 makes it easier... ;D
Internal combustion thrust I trust

aknutson

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:52 pm »
Both cars take 91. Usually from Shell, because there's one near my house on the way home from work.

And you get airmiles! That's why I use shell, but I'm always 87 - no need for higher in my vehicles, which is nice. I don't like to burn more money than I have to!

Leviathan

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 03:37:26 pm »
The BC law explained:

Pay first and pump gas later law hits B.C.
ext weekend, British Columbia will become the first province to insist gas-station customers pay first and pump later, 24 hours a day.

By CanWest News Service January 27, 2008 Comments (1)

VANCOUVER -- Next weekend, British Columbia will become the first province to insist gas-station customers pay first and pump later, 24 hours a day.

A new WorkSafe B.C. regulation referred to as Grant's Law - after Grant DePatie, who was dragged to his death trying to stop a $12 gas-and-dash almost three years ago - begins next Saturday.

"I'm overjoyed with it," said his father, Doug DePatie, who with his wife, Corinne, lobbied hard for the law. "It is nice to know that no one will ever die like Grant did, from a gas-and-dash."

There was little opposition to the prepay laws from gas companies because the change is mandatory, many pumps already include the option to prepay at the pump and gas stations will lose less to driveaways.

But Roberta Ellis of WorkSafe B.C said some of the smaller gas bars weren't happy because they will feel pressure to pay a large expense to upgrade their pumps to allow prepaying by credit or debit cards, even though customers can still use cash to prepay.

DePatie, who would like to see prepay spread across Canada, has contacted other provincial labour ministers.

The change will likely make B.C. the largest jurisdiction in North America to institute a wide mandatory prepayment law.

Prepay is common in the U.S., where laws are passed by municipalities not states.

Vancouver Province
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:47:41 pm by Leviathan »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 03:45:28 pm »
Lev - guess you didn't read my post above.  ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Leviathan

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »
Ya, sorry. I posted then saw yours but by then it was too late.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 03:53:37 pm »
Ya, sorry. I posted then saw yours but by then it was too late.

No problem,  ;D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:38 pm »
Mid-grade in the Forester as it gets a bit pingy on regular.  Seems to be a common complaint on the NA Subaru motors due to their design: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/factory-tune-engine-ping-knock-problem-warranty-issue-58405/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/poll-n-engine-ping-knock-using-87-aki-fuel-78697/

Other than the ping/knock going away, I have not noticed any other difference, such as better fuel economy or power.

Regular on the Sienna.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 11:34:08 pm »
I did not see 5W20 on the list!

Signed
RX-8 Owner

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:37 am »
Premium 91 all year in the Jetta, in the winter for the Audi, which gets 94 in the summer with the different chip setting. As that's not available close by, I run 91 with Lucas Octane Boost when I have to.

Fuel is good entertainment. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 09:07:25 am »
I run Ultra 94 'almost' exclusively in the WRX.  Sometimes I put in 91 if I'm nowhere near a PetroCan/Sunoco.

I agree with most of you that the performance and/or fuel economy gains are likely quite minimal with my stock ECU.  But for the small amount I drive (~1000km/month), it's a very small amount of money.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:06 am »

Other than the ping/knock going away, I have not noticed any other difference, such as better fuel economy or power.

Regular on the Sienna.

I guess it will be interesting to see how the new engine behaves when it rolls out this fall. Will ping be banished? Or will a change in fuel be required? Stay tuned - opportunity knocks. ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:55 am »
I wonder if I should avoid using fuels with ethanol since a tank can last me a month at times.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:20 am »
I wonder if I should avoid using fuels with ethanol since a tank can last me a month at times.

It doeas act like a fuel line antifreeze though.  Just a thought if it is outside....in Winnipeg....in winter.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 01:06:43 pm »

It doeas act like a fuel line antifreeze though.  Just a thought if it is outside....in Winnipeg....in winter.

The car is parked in an enclosed, above-ground, unheated parkade.  However, it is slightly warmer inside during the winter.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »
I'm regular.  Although my tired old engine seems to happier with 89 than 87. 

That is true, an old engine built up with carbon effectively has a higher compression ratio.  My old Taurus would ping with 87 but not with 89.  I see no reason why anyone would buy mid-grade otherwise.

My WRX takes premium, the computer in an emergency can compensate with 87 but it runs like a dog  :P
If I could get 93 around here, I can tune the engine for it... too bad the highest I can find is 91

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 04:56:23 pm »
us PREMIUM folks are neck and neck with you REGULAR PLEBS..............who said there is a big DIVIDE between the RICH & THE POOR............... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once