Author Topic: Auto Tech: Clutches and new transmissions  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Clutches and new transmissions
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:02:11 am »
In recent years, we have seen a new style of automatic transmission, says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.  These transmissions have two inputs shafts, one inside the other, and two clutches to engage the transmission. "Shifts are extremely fast," he says.
Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Auto Tech: Clutches and new transmissions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:31 am »
The Ford innovation in these transmissions does seem like a good idea.  Taking some complexity out does mean that the conventional manual transmission's days are even more numbered but on the other hand maybe we'll be rid of torque converter transmissions as well.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:53:26 am »
I've noticed on some forums that some posters complain about hesitancy or a 'clunky' feel at low speeds (less than 20 kph). Is that something to do with the mechanical attributes of the dual clutch set-up ?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:53:45 am »
Once again, good information in a concise package

I own a conventional automatic which is easy to drive in the city, sips fuel on the highway, best tank 7.0 L per 100 km from a 215 hp V6,  but is in storage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4441547250/

The more enjoyable 5 speed transmission is the preferred drive at this time of year , best tank 5.6 L per 100 km

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4851595214/

And my 6 speed manual achieving the best of 3.9 L per 100 km

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4955386207/

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:29:11 pm »
My 2009 M3 is coming up one year old (Sept 10) and I can say honestly that the BMW DCT 7 speed electronically controlled manual tranny in it is a pure delight to drive. Faster than a manual in speed of shifting, and faster on the track (if you so desire). Less hassle in town than a conventional manual. Purists argue that the conventional manual is more "involving" for the driver, and I would agree. To me, the benefits outweight the negatives by far. Lets you drive like a granny (in Drive, or "auto" mode) or like a hoon (in Sport, or manual shift off the paddles mode). Either way, you still get the feel of the manual shifting and accompanying sounds of the gear changes. The DCT also matches revs on the downshifts. I notice zero lag on mine, although some of the early M3 in 2008 with this tranny did have a touch of lag - since reprogrammed out by a service update.

;D :drive:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

A/T driver

I have found cheap quote on auto insurance pa
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:47:33 pm »
Do i have to get an auto insurance when i buy a used car? or else, they don't sell the car to a person who doesn't have an auto insurance? I currently have a lease car that will be returned this January next year. But i want to get a used car soon so that i can work on the car, but i won't be driving it around. The car will be in my garage until i return the lease car and get an auto insurance. I live in Philadelphia, PA
Any suggestion?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:42:45 pm by A/T driver »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:27:42 pm »
The Ford innovation in these transmissions does seem like a good idea.  Taking some complexity out does mean that the conventional manual transmission's days are even more numbered but on the other hand maybe we'll be rid of torque converter transmissions as well.
Maybe in NA, but not here in EU. Cultural stigma for driving automatic is huge. At least 90% European drivers reject automatic transmission... automatically without any reflection. Just because.

I know that. I learnt to drive in the UK.    BUT when Ferrari give up on manual transmissions... the time is coming.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:35 pm »
i drove a new Fiesta a couple of weeks ago...if you didn't tell people it had a twin clutch automatic, i doubt any would know...it worked great.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.