Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Mazda2 GS, four-speed automatic  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Mazda2 GS, four-speed automatic
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:57 pm »
These small hatches seem expensive to me. Even the Fiesta does. you're so quickly in to Civic/3/Corolla/Focus yadda yadda for the money. The Mazda 2 I just don't get. Sure it look nice. put pales in comparison to Fit/Fiesta it seems out classed...time will tell.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 03:32:01 am »
jscc , diesils just don't sell as well here so they don't bring them in

mazda gets it right on its quest for low weight
for example  the new ford edge - 2 motors right now
280 hp  253 torque   0 - 60  7.1
305 hp  280 torque   0 - 60  7.6

the 305 hp edge weighs 330 lbs more , bigger wheels also slows it's accelleration
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:56:15 am by bikenut »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 06:35:12 am »
Bikenut.  Diesels don't sell because nobody sells them except VW BMW and M-B  with VW being the only volume seller... price may have something to do with that.

Around here MOST of the Jettas I see are TDI and a fair number of the new Golfs.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »
I guess the question is, would you have a fully loaded car or would you rather have a base model the next size up? That is if you didn't have an extra $2,000 or so to get a mid grade the next size up.

We have "big" Mazda 5 so logically I would like a small urban sidekick, the small (no quotations lol) Mazda 2. Something that sips gas, easy as heck to park, easy to manoeuvre around town.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:45:41 pm by DKaz »

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 01:09:28 pm »
Bikenut.  Diesels don't sell because nobody sells them except VW BMW and M-B  with VW being the only volume seller... price may have something to do with that.

Around here MOST of the Jettas I see are TDI and a fair number of the new Golfs.

6 months wait for a TDI when I was looking back in '03. Or I could have driven a VR6 off the lot that day for pretty much the same price.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:35 pm »

6 months wait for a TDI when I was looking back in '03. Or I could have driven a VR6 off the lot that day for pretty much the same price.
'03 was a lifetime ago and a totally different car.  I have no idea what the order time is now but it would not surprise me at all if it is long.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 02:45:26 pm »

'03 was a lifetime ago and a totally different car.  I have no idea what the order time is now but it would not surprise me at all if it is long.

I was just getting at the fact that there's a large demand for the TDI (or diesles in general rather) and from what I've been hearing over the years and from that experience - always has so - not really sure why we don't see more diesels over here. The argument that they don't sell doesn't seem to really apply. I think its more of an emissions problem than anything. I swear every F250 I see is a diesel - Same with the RAM2500s (not sure if you can even get those with a gasoline engine)

Sorry tpl was kind of responding to a couple of posts but just quoted yours.

Vanstar

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:23 am »
Just as an aside, compare the cargo area of the Mazda 2 to a Honda Fit. The Fit is much larger and has a flat floor. A Fit Sport automatic is actually cheaper and has seventeen horsepower more. Going to be tough competition.

Diesels, ahh, diesels. Their popularity has peaked in Europe. In a small car, an extra $1500 for diesel is going to be a long pay back and any potential out of warranty engine issue on a diesel is going to be extremely costly.

Speaking from experience, people buy diesels in trucks because they are cool, not for any performance/economy benefit. Recent emission systems that use fuel to burn off soot have really increased fuel consumption. If you want to see what costs the least to run, look at fleets. I am an engineer and I work on remote construction projects all the time. Practically all the pick-ups I see are Ford F-250s with gasoline engines. Kewitt has thousands of them, for example, nary a diesel to be seen. Problem is, according to the mechanics I talk to, is that the diesels are extremely sensitive to fuel quality and most repairs cannot be made on site, meaning the truck has to be sent to a dealer, which costs a fortune. For this reason they stick to the Triton 5.4 which is as reliable as a frying pan!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 01:22:19 pm »
Just as an aside, compare the cargo area of the Mazda 2 to a Honda Fit. The Fit is much larger and has a flat floor. A Fit Sport automatic is actually cheaper and has seventeen horsepower more. Going to be tough competition.

Diesels, ahh, diesels. Their popularity has peaked in Europe. In a small car, an extra $1500 for diesel is going to be a long pay back and any potential out of warranty engine issue on a diesel is going to be extremely costly.

Speaking from experience, people buy diesels in trucks because they are cool, not for any performance/economy benefit. Recent emission systems that use fuel to burn off soot have really increased fuel consumption. If you want to see what costs the least to run, look at fleets. I am an engineer and I work on remote construction projects all the time. Practically all the pick-ups I see are Ford F-250s with gasoline engines. Kewitt has thousands of them, for example, nary a diesel to be seen. Problem is, according to the mechanics I talk to, is that the diesels are extremely sensitive to fuel quality and most repairs cannot be made on site, meaning the truck has to be sent to a dealer, which costs a fortune. For this reason they stick to the Triton 5.4 which is as reliable as a frying pan!

If you're young, cargo space might not even enter your mind. It certainly didn't when I was young. If you're tpl's age ( :stick: ;D) it likely would be a factor.

In the Sask oil patch, you can hardly throw a rock without hitting a diesel Ford, GM or Dodge. On other construction projects, it can be more of a mix. Usually the pee-ons get the gas motors, while the higher ups get the diesels. Still lots of diesels though.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 01:50:16 pm »
New Accent will slaughter this thing.

Why?  Because no one cares about how they drive and it's just about features and price?

The Mazda2 apparently drives really well...not that you tell from the TEST DRIVE of the spec sheet that we were given.  Here's a much better TEST DRIVE of the actual car...

You'll bounce around more in a Honda Fit Sport, and even the Fiesta's suspension feels somewhat stiffer in terms of damping. While engineering the new 2, Mazda was committed to saving as much weight as possible, and managed to cut out a total of 220 pounds versus the previous model sold overseas. Sport models with the manual 'box only tip the scales at 2,309 pounds, which is seriously waif-like in this day and age

We'd love to own a Fit when it comes time for an Ikea run, but for everyday driving, Mazda's offering is just a bit sweeter. Functionality is nice, but enthusiasts want something better poised to handle the main task at hand – driving.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/25/2011-mazda2-first-drive/

Alex_S

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 09:00:46 pm »
I'd take the Fiesta or the Fit any day of the week over this.  A 4-speed auto in this day and age is laughable.  And lets face it - that is how the majority of these will be sold.

Jaeger

Couldn't agree more, 4-speed is so 1990's and we're approaching...2011!  The Fit and Fiesta looks quite appealing in this segment.  Also, with taxes and options, approaching Elantra territory.  Hearing the new 2011 Elantra might have a 6-sp auto..  I'm sure the Mazda2 is a great little car but seems overpriced by ~5-8% imo..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:03:06 pm by Alex_S »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:14 pm »

the reason you see so few diesels in NA is due to our emissions requirements...diesel cars need to meet the same Tier 2 Bin 5 requirements that gasoline engines have to meet...it is why all diesels sold in NA have to be "Clean Diesels" which are used in light weight cars or "BluTec" diesels (in heavier models, where they use urea injection)...of course, trucks are exempt.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

CDF

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:58 am »
Just read a comparison of the Mazda2, Honda Fit and Ford Fiesta in Car and Driver's printed edition (comparison does not appear on line yet for some reason).

All were manuals, and the Fiesta came in last. The Mazda was second, while the Fit won overall.

The Mazda posted the best handling and slalom times, and also trumped the Fiesta for acceleration and fuel economy.

The fact that the 2 is still so good after 3 or 4 years (I believe it debuted to the rest of the world in 2006 as a 2007 model) is pretty impressive.

Interestingly, the test loop that Car and Driver did started in Windsor, ON and ended in Montreal, QC.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:23 pm »
Just read a comparison of the Mazda2, Honda Fit and Ford Fiesta in Car and Driver's printed edition (comparison does not appear on line yet for some reason).

All were manuals, and the Fiesta came in last. The Mazda was second, while the Fit won overall.

The Mazda posted the best handling and slalom times, and also trumped the Fiesta for acceleration and fuel economy.

The fact that the 2 is still so good after 3 or 4 years (I believe it debuted to the rest of the world in 2006 as a 2007 model) is pretty impressive.

Interestingly, the test loop that Car and Driver did started in Windsor, ON and ended in Montreal, QC.

Breezed thru this last night as well and was surprised the Mazda2 beat Fiesta. Was going to look online but you saved me the trouble of trying to find the article just yet. Surprised at the acceleration and fuel economy of the 2 vs Fiesta. Despite being so close, these 3 cars have really taken different paths. Will have to read it in detail later.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:39 pm »
The Fiesta was designed around the 6-speed auto the manual really kills the car IMO (oh and the non-defeat-able TCS)