Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Edge  (Read 15028 times)

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Edge
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 12:11:06 am »
16s look like sh#$ - I think the 18s would be sufficient. Imagine a 16" rim on a new Dodge Ram for instance. On a larger vehicle you need to make the wheels larger proportionally for it to look right. Thats why people want the bigger wheels - to fill the wheel wells.

16's look fine on a 2003 gmc extended cab

They look fine for sure, but not great.  I'm assuming that buyers of the sport package are looking for something more flashy and unique.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:03:17 am »
Something is missing from the editing...
Quote from: Original article
...and new jewel-like taillights that feature a secondary inner lens with a unique floating – this refresh also adds...

...a unique floating WHAT?

Calvin

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:13:45 am »
My CRV has 15" wheels, I used to put 225/60/15 yoko ultra high performance on them and I can corner to the point it almost roll over and the tires still stick on the ground and make no sound.

for highway performance, with the yoko i once hit 180km/hr and is still very stable ... the engine cut off the fuel is the only reason I cannot break thru 200km/h... the tires are good for 240km/h

A set of 4 of those yoko with installation is less than 700 tax included.

Now with two kids I am back on 215-65-15 Hydroedge but it still petty good in driving performance, I see NO reason to put anything bigger than 16" on a SUV, even my is a manual shift 5 speed.

i really hope those speeds weren't on a highway..

As opposed to say, in the city?  180 isn't that fast.  Really.  If you've ever done it, it's kinda anticlimactic.  Not that I'd condone such wildly crazy anti-social behaviour, of course, but 180 aint nuttin'.  Good thing we all grow up and don't anymore, or, in my case, don't own anything that can go past 160 or so. (dang rev/speed limiters)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:48:28 pm by Calvin »

Calvin

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 11:18:42 am »
...Not sure on the rationale of offering 2 very similar V6 engines, other than a marketing claim of over 300hp  ::) - you'd think an ecoboost V6 would've been offered on the 'sport'.

And from the article "The 3.7-Litre’s added torque is most noticeable in off the line acceleration "

C&D or was it Motortrend just compared the two and the base 3.5 was faster than the Sport.  So it may feel faster, but it's not.  Of course they were comparing FWD to AWD.  Not a fair comparison, but the Sport should be faster no matter what, at least if I'm paying that much more for it.  Maybe they should throw the Twinforc...I mean Ecoboost (what a stupid name) at it.  Sure wouldn't hurt.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 11:56:51 am »
...Not sure on the rationale of offering 2 very similar V6 engines, other than a marketing claim of over 300hp  ::) - you'd think an ecoboost V6 would've been offered on the 'sport'.

And from the article "The 3.7-Litre’s added torque is most noticeable in off the line acceleration "

C&D or was it Motortrend just compared the two and the base 3.5 was faster than the Sport.  So it may feel faster, but it's not.  Of course they were comparing FWD to AWD.  Not a fair comparison, but the Sport should be faster no matter what, at least if I'm paying that much more for it.  Maybe they should throw the Twinforc...I mean Ecoboost (what a stupid name) at it.  Sure wouldn't hurt.

Wouldn't be the first time in the history of the automotive industry that something called a "Sport Package" didn't actually include any vehicle performance enhancements. ie. My Spec V had a "Sport Package" option which included Rockford Fosgate audio system, Sunroof and 60/40 split folding seat.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Susido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:41 pm »
And you can forget about towing with those ultra low-profile tires.

As long as the tires have the proper load rating, lower profile tires are better for towing.  Less lateral movement = improved stability.

Every low-profile tire I've ever looked at had a significantly lower load carrying capacity than a standard profile tire. Note there is NO tow package available from Ford for the Sport model.

Also some interesting bits from the owner's manual:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR P265/40R22 LOW-PROFILE TIRES
AND WHEELS
If your vehicle is equipped with P265/40R22 tires, they are low-profile
tires. These tires and wheels are designed to give your vehicle a sport
appearance. With low-profile tires, you may notice an increase in road
noise and faster tire wear, depending on road conditions and driving
styles. Due to their design, low-profile tires and wheels are more prone
to road damage from potholes, rough or unpaved roads, car wash rails
and curb contact than standard tires and wheels. Your vehicle’s warranty
does not cover these types of damage. Tires should always be kept at the
correct inflation pressures and extra caution should be taken when
operating on rough roads to avoid impacts that could cause wheel and
tire damage.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 09:07:07 pm »
Not sure if anyone has seen this vid yet, but Ford is really packing a lot of technological punch in their new Edge.  Well done IMO. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4QePfcRu0

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Yeah

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »
I think it's an improvement style wise.  Ford is proving the domestics can compete if they turn their minds to product improvement instead of cost cutting...

Yeah...Ford should learn from Toyota...now that's quality....sorry GTG my corolla has a recall.