Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan  (Read 15162 times)

aknutson

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:50 am »
It's Subaru of Canada's pricing that kills the value.  How can Hyundai sell the 2.0T in Canada for $25K undiscounted) and $22K in the US (a 13% premium) and Subaru Canada bends us over for a 27% premium?

A base Impreza should be $20K, the "Sport" trim $23K and the WRX $28K.

We've owned a number of Scoobs, not one of them new.  Doubtful we'd buy a new one with current pricing.

I'd love to buy a used WRX, but I can get rid of the thought that the previous owner was an early-20's college dropout who works at a warehouse, lives in his parents basement, smokes copious amounts of marijuanna and likes to drag, rally and road race every chance he gets. Every other WRX I see on the road has been modified. I'm sure there are legitimate owners out there who take good care of their turbocharged Subie's, but from the looks of things, it's like finding a used Civic SI with a good clutch...not likely!

aknutson

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »
I would be careful with general statements.

I would hazard to guess (actually I know) that most of the "heavily modified" WRXs out there were probably bought used. You can't forget that in Canada the WRX is essentially a 40K car - not something an "early 20's college dropout" can afford.

In fact - most of the new owners of WRXs in Canada that I've met have been guys in their 30s looking for something sporty but that can also handle family and seasonal duties.

The Subaru community is much different up here than it is in the States - where the WRX starts at 24K (not 33K).

The fact that Subarus are frequently modded says more about their reliability (and ability to create huge power) than it does about the people buying them.

Easy easy,  I was just foolin' around!  ;D Like I said, I'd love to buy one, I just can't shake the idea that they've all been abused...regardless if this statement has any truth, I do see a lot of modded WRX's.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 01:28:50 pm »
I know of someone who just got a 2011 STI for under $40K CAD on the road including GST.  So pricing in Canada VS US isn't as far apart as people think. 

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:28 pm »
I have to agree the Canadian price is a killer. Even if we ackowledge the AWD and extra HP a 5 door hatch WRX is is nearly 4K more than a comperable GTI before tax.

aknutson

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 12:40:34 pm »
Subaru's pricing structure is odd. I just 'built' a 2011 Impreza 5-door 2.5i w/convenience package and the payment structure surprised me. To finance this car with $0 down /60 months costs $521/month @ 4.9%, but a 36 month lease is only $382/month @ 3.9%! Wow! Typically lease rates for shorter terms are hovering around within $30-60 of the finance rate, sometimes they are even significantly higher depending on the finance rate. I prefer to finance cars so this doesn't really help me out much, I wish Subaru had better interest rates on financed cars and maybe some incentive programs, but for those looking to lease this is tempting...that's like the cost of leasing a Kia!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »
I wouldn't buy a used WRX.  I'd buy a 2011 south of 49 for the same price as a used one here.  The only way I'd buy a used one here is an older 04/05 model that I knew the history on, and mod it myself.  They can be found cheap, and while the 2.0L is not as sweet as the 2.5L, the availability of inexpensive HP and the super-cheap price of the car make it an attractive package.  (I know of a un-modded 2004 with 80K that the original owner is contemplating selling, and he's thinking $11K or so.  If he does sell it, I'm thinking about snatching it up.)

aknutson

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »
I wouldn't buy a used WRX.  I'd buy a 2011 south of 49 for the same price as a used one here.  The only way I'd buy a used one here is an older 04/05 model that I knew the history on, and mod it myself.  They can be found cheap, and while the 2.0L is not as sweet as the 2.5L, the availability of inexpensive HP and the super-cheap price of the car make it an attractive package.  (I know of a un-modded 2004 with 80K that the original owner is contemplating selling, and he's thinking $11K or so.  If he does sell it, I'm thinking about snatching it up.)

If you don't, give me a call! lol. That sounds like a gem.