Author Topic: Steering You Right: Young and dumb  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: Young and dumb
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:03:54 am »
In many provinces, getting a driver's licence requires a series of steps that involves graduated rules and restrictions.  Those rules are there for a reason, says lawyer Jordan W. Charness, who advises young drivers to think twice about disobeying them.
Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Steering You Right: Young and dumb
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:29:03 am »
"One of the strangest rules I’ve seen is the law in Québec that requires a motorcycle rider with a learners permit to ride only when he or she is with an accompanying rider… on another motorcycle! It seems to me that there’s not much that the accompanying rider can do to help out except perhaps to be there to call an ambulance if things go seriously wrong."

BC had a similar rule 15 years ago. I ignored it as I had been riding off road  for decades  and driving 4 wheeled vehicles since the mid 1950s

I can see the logic, cornering on a motorcycle is a skill that is completely different and to be able to follow a skilled rider setting an example and pace could be valuable. Road position and speed in both acceleration and stopping could also be learnt from a skilled rider. With no size limit on motorcycles in Canada for learners bikes are often too much for an inexperienced to be let loose with.

I started back on the roads in Canada 15 years ago with a 125cc then 250 cc and after 3 years graduated to a 750 cc machine. I now ride a 650 cc machine and prefer to ride alone without having to keep up to or wait for another rider / riders.

I am a strong advocate for a graduated motorcycle program

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4716945999/

eurodriver

Re: Steering You Right: Young and dumb
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:07 am »
In regards to "gradual licensing", I think it is a biggest joke I have ever heard (and a money grab). When I came from Croatia in 1995, I already had years of driving experience behind me (including being an truck driving instructor during my mandatory army service). Still, Ontario government did not recognize it and I had to start from scratch again. I did not mind, since I could understand their concern for road safety when it comes to many immigrants from different countries coming to Canada. So, I went to the MoT and asked them about the process. They told me to go for a written exam first. I passed it and they gave me G1 license. They explained me that I cannot drive from dusk until dawn, I cannot drink at all while I am driving and I cannot go to major highways. When I clarified what I just heard, I asked them:"Are you letting me drive without actually ever seeing me do so?" Official there said: "But you have to have someone who has full G for more than five years with you." And what that "someone" can do if I screw up? Does "possession of full G" make one good driver? In the country where you have to have license for everything, having "full G" qualifies you automatically to be in charge of someone less experienced.
Instead of this idiotic gradual licensing, we should look into MANDATORY driver's lessons, which should include driving in slippery conditions (mandatory in Finland with equally crappy climate; one of the reasons why Fins are among best drivers in the world), as well as MANDATORY stick shift training. That way, people would fully understand how and why engine does certain things. That way people could avoid embarrassing moments like the one that friend of mine had while on vacation in Europe. He rented a Smart car with six speed semi-automatic transmission (you have to shift, but no clutch). He complained how he could not make it up the hills there. When I asked him what he did when he started climbing, he stated: " I would upshift". This confirms me that he has no idea how the transmission works.   ???