Author Topic: Steering You Right: Yellow lights and driver behaviour  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: Yellow lights and driver behaviour
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:02:22 am »
Why do drivers speed through yellow lights rather than slow down and stop?  A recent safety study observed drivers as they approached yellow lights and drew some interesting conclusions.
Read More...

Jems

Re: Steering You Right: Yellow lights and driver behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:26 am »
Oddly enough, they also found that lane position makes a difference. Drivers who are in the right-hand lane were more likely to accelerate than those who were driving in the left-hand lane.

I think people are less intimidated to go through a yellow light when they are in the right-lane because they are less likely to be hit by someone turning on the yellow, on the opposite side of the road...?

Michael

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:22 am »
In Québec and most of Europre (at least in the UK) an amber light means stop unless it is unsafe to do so. I think in the US, it serves as a warning that the light is about to change to red. What is the law elsewhere in Canada?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:25:54 am »
In Québec and most of Europre (at least in the UK) an amber light means stop unless it is unsafe to do so. I think in the US, it serves as a warning that the light is about to change to red. What is the law elsewhere in Canada?

Same, AFAIK. It's a warning.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:39:53 am »

Actually for BC it is stop unless it is unsafe to do so.

This is both in the ICBC handbook and in the motor vehicle act (section 128).

KptKrunch

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:21:54 pm »

Actually for BC it is stop unless it is unsafe to do so.

This is both in the ICBC handbook and in the motor vehicle act (section 128).

I think it's like that everywhere, as IIRC when I took my beginner test (written only) in Manitoba back in the early 80s I'm pretty sure that on a Yellow you are to do one of two things:

1. If (as already stated) you are are a far enough distance to stop safely then you do so
2. If you are already in the intersection (waiting to turn left lets say) then you are to clear out of the intersection (assuming of course the people coming the other way are following rule # 1 and not gunning it to make the light).

Also, I know that if you ARE NOT in an intersection when a light turns yellow and you go for it and end up hitting someone (like say someone who was already in there and were 'clearing it') then it's no different than running a red light. You will be found at fault and will be ticketed by the police as it is against the law to enter an intersection on a yellow if it is unsafe to do so (something along those lines).

However, a yellow(amber) light is definitely the wrong color. It should be changed to 'grey' as this is one of the biggest 'grey' areas in the automotive world :)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »
 It's the point of no return. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata