Author Topic: Product Review: Magellan 3045-LM portable navigation system  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: Magellan 3045-LM portable navigation system
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:03:45 am »

The most appealing feature of the Magellan 3045-LM nav system is its free lifetime mapping updates, which ensure its road maps won't become outdated, reports Senior Editor, Paul Williams.  Still, he had other concerns with this unit.

Read More...

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
Re: Product Review: Magellan 3045-LM portable navigation system
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:26:50 am »
Good review.

When making my first purchase of a GPS unit last year, I looked at various brand reviews for Magellan, Tom Tom and Garmin. My main criteria was decent user interface (readability, ease of use etc), large screen and ability to change accents. Garmin seemed to have a good reputation on discussion forums and so I went for the Garmin 1470 unit, with 5 inch screen, bluetooth/caller id, pedestrian mode and multi-national accents. I found the clipped British accents easiest to understand and they seem to talk quicker than their other Eng.lang counterparts. By contrast, I have tried and failed to fall for the charms of Australian 'Karen' - who seems to talk in a lazy drawn-out way....surely not all Aussies are like that... ?  ;D

Mazda6 Guy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:58:35 am »
After using my friend's TomTom 330, I decided to get one of my own. I got the the GO 630 model with handsfree bluetooth, custom icons, down loadable voices, on-screen caller Id, media player, fm tuner, and the list goes on... All for $160 after taxes (futureshop deal).

I must say, I am impressed at the accuracy and how quickly it adjusts after I choose a different route. It is almost instantaneous. The ability to save favourite routes, itineraries, and driving speed with highlights when going over the speed limit is a great feature. I have never owned any other GPS units, but I don't think there is anything I could possibly want the TomTom doesn't already give me... well, maybe the ability to see where I am as far as the entire planned route is concerned, like a top view of my entire route. Who knows, maybe it does show it, and I just don't know how to do it!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:45:50 am »
Built-in nav is not something I'd pay for again.  The portable units are cheap and work just as well, or better.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:58:27 am »
Built-in nav is not something I'd pay for again.  The portable units are cheap and work just as well, or better.

Jaeger

The clean integration (usually) of the OEM nav systems is nice, but that's pretty much all you're paying for, when the portable ones often cost a tenth (if that) what the OEMs do.
I used to work here.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:16:31 am »
The free lifetime map updates is appealing, as to me that is the biggest hassle of all of these units.

Surveying friends and colleagues, I can find raves and rants for every brand.  So the only useful product review for GPS units (or sat nav in Brit parlance) is from an unbiased group that reports on the results from putting all models through the same tests.

Rick

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:05:10 pm »
I have a Garmin Nuvii 255W that I have owned for a couple of years.  I have now paid $119.00 to have lifetime map updates with up to four (4) free updates per year.  I guess as long as the thing does not fall into water or smash on the ground I should be set for years.  I like the simplicity and user friendlieness of the unit.  Very simple to use. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »
Let's go to Paul's house!

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson